1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Invest in a newer gen or repair my old Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LtClarke75, Jul 15, 2023.

1. LtClarke75

LtClarke75 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    SE
    Hi all,
    First time posting here. Owner of a 2008 Prius with 158,000 miles on it. I'm looking for advice on whether to invest in repairs on the car, or if it would be better to get a newer generation one. I know it needs a new exhaust pipe/muffler, shocks and struts, a tune up and probably new tires. Otherwise it's relatively good shape, no rust, only minor dings or cosmetic issues. I've kept up the usual maintenance on it, ie oil changes, etc. I'm in New England, so I know that makes a difference on cost and wear and tear on the vehicle.

Any advice or relatable experience would be a great help,

Shane

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You do not want to move to the 2010 to 2015 generation 3 The generation 4 I believe will rear the same problems as a Gen 3 once mileage is reached for people I think some of already had the problem Do not get rid of your generation too under any circumstances there is nothing you can't do with that car and it should go to well at least 400k I'm hoping to go to 666 personally but that's just me I'm in a gold 09 with the ugliest interior that you could possibly own but it's a work vehicle I really don't care It's got ice cold air everything works It's the same battery as the generation 3 so if you were to put a battery in your car and what not when it's time which it's past time actually It's not mileage it's years at this point then you could use that battery in a generation 3 if you know it finally got to you into something thought you had to do That's about the only thing you could use from this car Make it a point to keep your generation too it's a good one and worth it I own both the generation 3 is a lot of work things go bad you know all the body pieces and plastic pieces break fall off etc And they cost some of the plastic can come off of the generation too and you don't even know it when it happens on a three things start flapping making noise you're under there with glue and panduit straps I would say don't do it

LtClarke75 likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    it depends on your financial situation and desires. sounds like you have a good car. if you like it, fix it and keep it. but be aware that you may need a battery and/or brake booster down the road.

research new and used cars, they are expensive and very hard to come by. you really have to want/need one.

LtClarke75 likes this.
  4. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For cars in NE the state of corrosion from road salt is a major factor. (Any car, not just Prius.) You say "no rust". Is that looking from the outside just at the visible parts of the body, or did you have a mechanic put the car up on a lift? Lots of cars driving around in states which use salt which look clean by the first method and are at death's door by the second.

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    A lot of Toyotas last 15 years in NE salt.

Sorry about the math.

LtClarke75 likes this.
  6. MCCOHENS

MCCOHENS Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is this an emotional decision or financial one? Looking for an excuse to get something new or is a car just an appliance?
    Do you have a trustworthy shop to do the repairs? That is the biggest part to keeping your car alive for another 100K. You will need to do all that and if not done in the last few years both batteries, inverter pump and maybe ABS pump. If it doesn't have rust, you have a trustworthy shop and you want to keep it you will save money in the long run. I thought these cars were crap when they came out but in the last 5 years 3 of 4 drivers in the family have them.

LtClarke75 and bisco like this.
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I lived in Western Massachusetts for 15 years 3 years in your rocker panels are rusted through and you're driving like the Flintstones. I've had family in the southeast United States all of my life and when I lived in Western Massachusetts I would come down here in my junky old ate up with rust Corolla and I would buy another Corolla lot of times from a junkyard transfer all my parts to it leave it at the junkyard and drive off with the new chassis with my stuff on it I could do this in a weekend and did it many times this was long before Prius ever existed like in 75 at the time I was driving SR5 little Corollas with the real cool round headlights hard to get cars hard to keep car I drove em for 19 years. Always returning to the southeast to pick up a new chassis every few years and then there weren't any more and I relocated here to the southeast United States that is.

LtClarke75 and donbright like this.
  8. LtClarke75

LtClarke75 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    SE
    Thank you all for the responses and advice, it's given me something to consider. I'm leaning towards getting the work done it instead of a newer car. It's sounds like the gen 2s were/are good vehicles compared to some of the later gens. Thanks again!

bisco and Tombukt2 like this.
  9. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    They are but you don't want to find that out personally that's costly

LtClarke75 likes this.