1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Invisible bumper guard, too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by seeh2o, Apr 5, 2006.

1. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Does anyone know anything about this or has anyone purchased from this seller on Ebay? It looks too good to be true, but I checked the seller's feedback and it was all positive, not a single negative.

Ebay Clear bra bumper kit

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seeh2o @ Apr 4 2006, 11:52 PM) [snapback]235148[/snapback]</div>
    The clear bra stuff by reputable mfg's works great. Of course it costs 100's of dollars too. I've never seen anything like this for $8! And I've never seen it advertised with a bikini babe either, for that matter.
    Well, I'm a sucker. I just purchased the "full kit." In the "less than full kits" it doesn't really tell you what you get.

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i have friends who have it (i'm too broke) and its awesome. it's not visible unless you look directly at it and know it's there.

4. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Can you e-mail him (or her) and ask who the mfr. of the stuff is? If it has a warranty?

Isn't the actual shipping about $3-5? If so, that makes the product really about $20, but that's still way cheap.

5. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seeh2o @ Apr 5 2006, 02:52 AM) [snapback]235148[/snapback]</div>
    Not a single negative, but read the comments:

"the part does not fit.Wasted shipping $"

"arrived as promised"

"Item arrived promptly, great seller to deal with"

"Product looks good, have not installed yet"

"Looks good. All positive. Will install later"

"Item sent quickly"

"Item recieved. Can't wait to get it on my car"

"arrived as promised - but you need an applicaotr?"

"delivered as promised, haven't installed yet"

"super fast shipment. cant wait to get it on the car"

and my favorite:

"have to leave a positive because it is what I ordered, WISH I HAD READ IT CLOSER"

A lot of the comments say it is a great product, but no one actually says they have installed it.

I'm kinda amused that this ebay store only sells 2 items, the Clear Bra for your car and an erotic strip dance video. B)

6. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Apr 5 2006, 12:32 AM) [snapback]235166[/snapback]</div>
    I just took the leap, and will figure it out when it gets here. The "full kit" would be pretty heavy, so I don't think the $14 shipping cost is over the top. Total cost for full kit delievered at $30. I figure it was worth the risk.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim1eye @ Apr 5 2006, 06:31 AM) [snapback]235211[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I read all those and was pretty surprised to not find anybody who's installed it before leaving feedback? Crazy. I figure just the material alone is worth more than I'm paying, so what the hell.

And yes, I find the merchandise mix amusing as well. What an interesting combo!

7. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jim1eye @ Apr 5 2006, 08:31 AM) [snapback]235211[/snapback]</div>
    I noticed all of that, too and was surprised that no one had installed it yet. And a half naked woman marketing the "clear bra" - now there is a new idea - NOT!

For those of you who bought one, please report your findings!!!

8. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    if it turns yellow or cracks is it hard to remove?

Yes report any findings....

9. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hahaha... look at this.. positive feedback, comment: "Fast shipping A+, but the part does not fit.Wasted shipping $,Oh well......."

What are these people thinking? It's just money, oh well.....

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's gotta be legit; just read what they wrote for the eBay Police:

11. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

Hello,

Our product is not the 3m product, its the generic version of it. Manufactorered by PCB Inc. It is approx. 3mil's in thickness, and is a lot cheaper than the 3m version. Our product definitly does the job on protecting your paint, but if you are to pay the few hunderd dollars extra for the 3m product you are getting only a few more mils in thickness.
    If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact us at anytime.

Thank you,
    Nikki White

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in purchasing one of our Paint Protection Systems. We offer 2 different types of kits for your vehicle. One kit is for the hood, mirrors, and side corners of your fender. The other kit is for your front bumper. The ebay description will tell you which kit you are bidding (It is in big bold red letters) If you would like to upgrade and get both kits, please add $9.50 to your total payment and tell us what exaclty it is you are paying for in your payment description.

We also have the buy it now option which gives you the bumper protection, hood mirrors, side mirrors, and side fender sections. Its basically giving you the hood and side fenders for free. That price is 30.00. That gives you the full paint protection for your vehicle. The buy it now is in our ebay store under the FULL kit section.

If you would prefer to use the buy it now you can simply ignore the auction. If you are the winning bidder, please ignore ebay's automatic emails stating you need to make payment. You will not receive neg. feedback for doing this, I assure you of that.

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact us at anytime.

Thank you,
    Nikki White

Hello,

Our brand has a 5 year gurantee on it that it will not turn yellow, peal away, or crack. If it does happen within that time frame you would just contact us and we would resolve the issue as best as possible. Our customer satisfaction is our number one priority, so we would do our best to ensure your satisfaction with our product.

Thank you,
    Nikki White

This is the standard feedback to some of my questions. It is 3mil opposed to 6,8 or 12 mil of the brand names.

For the price, if it fits, you can put three on giving you 9 mil???????

Somebody do it and let us all know!!!

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, mine is on the way, and I asked a question which was answered in just a couple of hours. They *seem* to be legit. As far is it not fitting somebody's car, I know from experience that this stuff isn't the easiest to put on correctly. I can see somebody concluding that it doesn't fit if they are new to it... of if they got the wrong kit! Says a lot about the guy if he leaves positive feedback for what he thinks is the wrong product, eh?

13. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi all,

I also examined the product online and received the same responses from Nikki White. After working with different ml thicknesses as an archaeologist and museum director I knew 3ml wouldn't be sufficient so I did not purchase the product (I have punctured more 3ml weight bags with small sharp artifacts than I could ever count). I have, however, found an installer, through my dealership, in our small town who will do the front bumper and hood with the 3M product for the price of $225 (includes machine cut to car and installation). I didn't think that was too bad and the 3M product is very nice and weighty.

14. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

What mil clear bra are most people getting???

6,8,12 mil?

15. cowboy

cowboy New Member

&quot;Mountain Empire&quot; region of southeastern
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gilahiker @ Apr 5 2006, 03:01 PM) [snapback]235498[/snapback]</div>
    What's the name of your installer? In Tucson, I was quoted $900 for installation on bumper, hood, fenders and mirrors - also using 3M machine cut to car. Even if I doubled your quote for the other parts I'd want covered, it sounds like a better deal than what I was quoted.

16. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, I can now officially tell everybody that at least the place is for real. Yes, it is the thickness we expect (thin) but yes, it also arrives complete. I have so many pieces here that it'll take me a week to get them all on! All cut crisply with lots of scrap for use in other places. As I said earlier - just getting this much material for $30 is a hell of a bargain no matter WHAT you do with it. That it is also cut to shape is a big bonus. Not sure how much of it I'll put on, but I'll start with the easy pieces first!

17. seeh2o

seeh2o Prius OG

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 15 2006, 12:55 AM) [snapback]240076[/snapback]</div>
    Oops, I just pm'ed you as I didn't see your post! I've sure been wondering about it. Please keep us posted!

18. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seeh2o @ Apr 16 2006, 12:49 PM) [snapback]240528[/snapback]</div>
    few things bother meabout the ad. [1] "This Paint Protection Kit will last up to 6 Years Outdoors and is made out of premium clear outdoor vinyl!!" Vinyl? I have the ClearBra and I never heard it referred to as "vinyl" and [2] the price the guy that put on my ClearBra buys the kit (and in quantity) and I know he pays a great deal more than $8 [3] "uaranteed to last 6 years" I was told 20 years.

I say "Buyer Beware"

19. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    See my next message.

20. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I too have been in correspondence with Nikki White as regard the thickness of the film. Apparently it is 3.5 mil or in our terms 3.5 thousandths of an inch.
    Nikki did state that I could apply 2 layers to take it up to 7 mil but apply the second film after the first has dried (2-3 days) . A cheap solution to anyone willing to instal the film themselves.
    However, I have been quoted AUD$100 by a local tint shop to professionally apply the Ebay film. Although I have not asked, undoubtedly it would cost AUD$200 to apply both layers.
    Taking into account the cost of 2 bras and shipping costs to Autralia it would still be a lot cheaper than the $400 quoted to do the bumper and first 6" of bonnet (hood) with the 6 mil 3M materail.
    I would not attempt to install a bra myself so now I am not sure what to do.
    1. Go for the 3M bra and not do the full bonnet and mirrors.
    2. Buy one bra and have it professionally installed.
    3. Buy two bra and have both professionally installed.
    I will add, the installer stated that a 3.5 mil bra will do the job of protecting against stones and two layers was not necessary. In hindsight I should have asked for a guarantee.