1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ioniq may be on sale this week

Discussion in 'Hyundai/Kia/Genesis Hybrids and EVs' started by bwilson4web, Feb 7, 2017.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: http://wardsauto.com/industry/hyundai-guardedly-optimistic-genesis-ioniq-us-sales-begin

. . . but next week it (Hyundai rjw) will launch U.S. sales of its new Ioniq hybrid and all-electric cars. O’Brien is bullish on their potential.

“Our focus was on developing a great compact car that happens to be electrified,” he says. “There were around 1.1 million buyers who shopped for an EV last year, but because of cost or maintenance or durability...or that they felt the car was too underpowered…they didn’t buy one.

“We are offering a no-excuse electrified vehicle that measures up to compact vehicles in the segment,” he says, noting a full marketing launch for the cars begins in March.

Sales targets are not being announced for the Ioniq lineup, which includes a plug-in hybrid due on sale in September. HMA’s former CEO Dave Zuchowski told WardsAutolast year the cars may need to be incentivized sooner than later due to low fuel prices in the U.S. that have hampered green-car sales.

“With gas at $2 a gallon there isn’t much natural demand for an alternative-fuel vehicle that’s going to generate terrific mileage,” he said in March.

However, O’Brien says Hyundai “will wait to see how the market receives the cars.”

The Ioniq hybrid is expected to sell the best of all three variants, thanks to having the highest fuel economy of any vehicle sold in North America without a plug – 58 mpg (4.0 L/100 km). “Which is 2 mpg (0.9 km/L) higher than (Toyota’s) Prius. And the Prius, as you know, is in its fourth generation,” he says.

However, O’Brien says Hyundai’s target market is neither the Prius nor other hybrid and electrified vehicle owners. “That’s not enough to make a business case.”

The last statement belies a year long thread in PriusChat . . . Still, it sounds like they are going to be slow to rollout the Ioniq which often means low inventories and dealer markups.

I've never had a problem with their technology, just the hype of a product that can not be bought. Hopefully that ends this week.

Bob Wilson

2. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been waiting forever for it to come out! Everywhere else in the world has had it for months! Come on Hyundai and hurry up. Thanks for sharing, Bob.

3. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    If it means a better product it's better to wait for the beta test to finish.

The EPA usually keeps car companies MPG honest but lots of leighway between the real world and EPA

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Actually I'm hoping once the car is actually for sale in the USA, we can petition the 'powers that be' to make a "Hyundai_Kia" sub-forum to collect the scattered threads. We're starting to see redundant postings in the wrong forums about the Ioniq.

Some we know are just newbies who created an account and 'breathlessly' let us know "The Prius is DEAD! Long live the IONIQ!" . . . Ok, maybe a little exaggerated. Just I come to Prius chat to read about my rides and share my experiences and experiments. If I wanted to read about something that is not on my ownership horizon, well there are lots of places like "Car and Driver" or "CleanMPG" that want me to waste time reading their 'breathless' reports.

I used to own a Gen-1 and a Gen-3 Prius. But I don't visit those forums because I have nothing new to contribute and there is nothing they can tell me about our 2014 BMW i3-REx or 2017 Prius Prime Plus. If I posted anything there about my rides, I would be trolling because it is not relevant. In like fashion, once the Ioniq captures some PriusChat owners, they need a place to share their experiences and 'not scare the horses.'

Bob Wilson

Felt and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  5. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I'd certainly like to see a new sub-form as well. However, *most* Ioniq/Niro threads I see lately seem to be in the 'other cars' sub-forum. Maybe I'm just missing the others.

As for myself, I want to get a Hybrid or Plug-in Hybrid vehicle in the near future. However, the way I am it will probably take a year or more to make a decision :). Right now, it is between the Prius and the Ioniq. I agree that we need much more 'real world' data on the Ioniq before I can make any sort of decision on the matter. That data will most likely be slow to arrive.

I will admit that I'm getting a bit tired of the 'bashers' around here..especially for threads that are in the 'other cars' forum. Maybe they feel they need to protect Toyota..or dislike the other manufacturer. Whatever it is, it is just not constructive at all.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.