1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Iowa buses to honk more to curb accidents

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Jul 30, 2009.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Since this is somewhat related to "bell the hybrids"... :p

Iowa buses honk more to curb accidents - Life- msnbc.com

2. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I think the buses in Cleveland do this also. They get priority signals, so it makes sense, I suppose.

After doing some research, I see they also had a two recent pedestrian deaths due to left-turning buses.

Seems odd, because there is video of one of the incidents and it wasn't a blind-spot issue. The driver, inexplicably, just didn't see the ped.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Darwin should take care of this problem, but it may take a generation or two. :D

Tom

2 people like this.
  4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Do any buses have forward-looking cameras?
    How many people walk in front of buses?

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    People it's Iowa, what do you expect!!!

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, maybe I'm paranoid. Okay, I know I'm paranoid. But it seems to me that people/pedestrians seem to not respect moving vehicles anymore, or they drift right out into streets and traffic. Seems to me that I have to be much more careful as a driver now, evidently fully functioning adults will drift, inch or walk right out into streets, Pedestrian crossing or not. It's like there has been an awareness drain on humanity. Some people seem to like to cross the street like a Matador likes to fight a bull. It's inch, inch, tease, fake, feign...I don't get it.

Of course it's always paramount for the driver of the vehicle to be primarily responsible for the safety of pedestrians. However, when I was growing up, as a child, I was taught to be VERY CAREFUL around streets and approaching traffic, for some reason that attitude seems to have vanished. It's like people don't realize that even a slow moving vehicle can kill them.

It's almost like an impact desensitivity. Maybe younger people are used to video games, and expect a reset button?

Please tell me it's my imagination.

I sometimes wonder if it's not vehicle color related, I currently own a dark metallic green and it seems like other vehicles and people will just pull out or step right infront of me. I've actually learned to expect it. It's almost like the vehicle is invisible. I don't know how many times I've slammed on the brakes and actually watched as the person in the other vehicle slowly seems to realize they just pulled out infront of another moving vehicle, I get the sheepish embarrased grin, but it is like they really don't notice the whole vehicle until I almost hit them.

Really, I grew up mostly in the suburbs and was taught at an early age to respect all moving vehicles and streets and be pro-active in my own safety as a pedestrian. Now it seems like people will step right out infront of you, and then be miffed if you slam on the brakes to save their lives. The balance seems to be gone.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We have trouble with this in our little village. This is a tourist area, and people on vacation are not the sharpest tools in the shed, but honestly, the way they walk into traffic is horrifying. A two-lane state highway weaves through town: right turn, left turn, right turn, left turn, and out. Each segment is one small block, and none have stop signs. On the state highway the traffic has the right of way, not the pedestrians. In a neighboring village the state has erected signs that say "Traffic does not stop". I even recall the county sheriff saying that he could ticket drivers for stopping because it was technically obstructing traffic. Obviously he wouldn't, but it does make a point.

So many people now cruise through life, happily oblivious in their perception that someone else is looking out for their well being.

Tom