1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Iowa Company to Make Gasoline Obsolete?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Catskillguy, May 20, 2006.

1. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

hmmmm
    Link to Article

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Actually, that company is making alternative-fuel engines for fixed industrial installations, and a few types of industrial vehicles. Not for road vehicles, and certainly not consumer autos.

Besides, the company is making engines without regard for fuel manufacturing and distribution. There are plenty of alternative-fuel engines but very few alternative-fuel stations.

Utility companies and government agencies already use natural gas (CNG) and propane to power fleet vehicles. But they have their own fuel depot and service centers. This doesn't help the masses.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Running engines on LPG or CNG is nothing new. I used to get my LP gas delivered by a truck that ran on LP gas. Apparently it's a fairly simple conversion.

But this does underline the foolishness of hydrogen fuel cells: Why use horribly-expensive fuel cells when an ICE can easily be made to run on the same hydrogen for a tiny fraction of the initial cost?

Of course, I still think that BEVs and PHEVs are the way to go... until energy gets so expensive nobody can afford private cars anymore... in five or ten years...