1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IPA Not Working Properly After Repair

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SmogSlide, Oct 29, 2010.

1. SmogSlide

SmogSlide Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dear all Priusites,

The title of the thread says it all... Well, just a little history of what'd happened to my Prius 1 month ago; I've got rear-ended and was shunted forward and hit the car in front of me, so the damages were both bumpers at back (more severe) and front (slight damage to the front number plate). Got it back last Thursday and it all looked fine and well, until today where I was being asked to show off the IPA at work, and it is not working properly, in fact it is not working at all.

I was trying to do a back-in park, stop the car in front of the first car, press the IPA button twice, then move the car slowly forward for scanning. As the Prius moved toward the second car after the empty car space, it displays a "not enough space..." message. I tried it again, and then with double car spaces sandwiched between two cars, not work still.

I also tried to parallel park, no error message, but when I put it in reverse, no blue box showing where the car will go. It is not automatically scanning and recognising a car space. I had never had so much troubles with the IPA at all before the repair.

The following repairs to the car:
    - Replaced the whole rear bumper
    - Replaced all four rear parking sensors
    - Fixed the damage on the front number plate
    - Repainted both front and rear bumpers
    - V12 battery has either been disconnected or discharged to a state where the clock and some NAV and radio memories were resetted or wiped

Anything I can do to recalibrate the IPA since it has sufferred a total discharge or some sort?

Should I go back to the dealer or the repairer since this IPA stuff is a delicate component?

2. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ya think?:rolleyes:

3. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    He's asking to which one he should take it, not if he should take it in at all. :rolleyes:

OP: I would take it back to the repairer as they're handing the crash claim and the ones who performed the repairs. They can sublet to the dealer's service department if necessary. This way, you let them sort it out instead of you getting caught in a finger-pointing contest.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. It's possible some of the wiring were not hooked up properly

2. It's possible that the front bumper sonar sensors (for the Pre-Support Function) isn't working properly

3. The backup camera hasn't been calibrated

4. Like you suggested, maybe there's some sort of calibration needed if the 12V battery is disconnected.

I would suggest consulting the owner's manual first. See if it mentions anything about calibration. If not, take it back to the repair shop (why I'm not suggesting the dealer is because we're trying to minimise the no. of ppl that have looked at it. We don't want the repair shop to say "oh we don't know what dealer did when you took it in to them first")

5. SmogSlide

SmogSlide Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just checked the NAV manual, there is a need to reinitialise the system if:
    - 12V battery is disconnected and subsequently reconnected, and
    - The initialisation screen is displayed when gear is engaged in Reverse position

However, I do not see this initialisation screen... what do I do?

I have been reading the ability to get into maintenance mode, but I cannot get it to work; Press DISP button, then touch the top left corner just inside the box and below the "Display" word once, then touch the bottom left corner just inside the box, do this 2 more times and should enter the maintenance mode...

Running out of idea.......

6. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    As Tideland and I have both indicated, you need to take it back to the crash shop and have them sort it with the dealer.

7. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    99% chance, they didn't plug the sensor on the front bumper in.

8. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Have you tried it from both sides of the vehicle ?

9. SmogSlide

SmogSlide Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, same issue for both sides. I will talk to my insurance company tomorrow and let you all know how I go.

10. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah, it was the very first thing I checked after my car came out of the body shop.

11. SmogSlide

SmogSlide Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, just brought the car back to the workshop. They opened the bottom cover to check the sonar sensor connection, and it was OK. Then I asked them about the V12 battery went flat. They reluctantly knowledged and said they had to disconnect it and recharge it with some recharging kit, also given the fact that they have disconnected the sensors from the cable, the car thinks the sensors are new and need recalibration.

I have since rang Toyota and told them what happened in the last 5 weeks, they said it would need to be reprogrammed. 1st dealer said would take couple hours of work, would cost me 204 bucks, whereas the 2nd dealer which I bought my car from said they do not know how much it would cost me because they have to diagnose the problem first. According to the 2nd dealer, the PCS would also need reprogramming also. Think I would just use the 1st dealer as he sounded he knows what he is talking about. I will just forward the invoice to the repairers.

That's concerning if the car needs reprogramming every time the car battery has gone flat!? It might turn out to be very expensive repair/battery replacement... :(

12. SmogSlide

SmogSlide Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, I still cannot enter the maintenance mode as per instruction given in other threads here. I think the Oz Prius has this feature disabled or not even available. Why is Toyota Australia dumbing down the NAV system? The oversea (US, UK, etc) version is so much better!

13. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I would think the insurance claim should pay for this as it was directly related to the crash.

14. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Would a dead battery cause the problem you are seeing? I have had the battery completely removed from my car and the IPA, PCS, DRCC, and LKA systems were completely uneffected. In fact about the only way I could tell is that the audio system presets and some of the nav presets needed to be reentered.

Several others on this site have posted that they have had dead or low batteries in cars with the advanced technology systems, IPA etc. Yours, as far as I can remember, is the only one with IPA problems.

If it were me I would unhook the battery again and leave it unhooked for 10 or 15 minutes. Then reconnect it and see it that helps, it sure wouldn't hurt. Everything should do a "cold start" when you reconnect it and you could see if the symptoms change anyway. Also you might find someone with a multimeter and check the 12V battery Voltage with the car running and off, it should be around 14 to 15 Volts running and 12 to 13 off, same as a non-hybrid car.

There is also a chance that when the shop hooked their charger up backward and damaged some of the components in the electrical system. Or maybe one of the IPA sensors has been damaged.

I do agree with previous posts that this should be a problem for the body shop and the dealer, paid for by the insurance company. Of course the body shop may say it wasn't them and the dealer may refuse warranty coverage because they will say the body shop caused the failure. I don't know what you do in that case.

Good luck and keep us posted.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol.. you might want to remove "US" from there... We think that our nav system is dumbed down (nav lock-out in motion, phone lock-out in motion, DVD-based, slow audio interface etc)...

16. SmogSlide

SmogSlide Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mate, that's still better than what we have here... in addition to the things you listed out, there are no voice activated NAV, NAV feature is really 10-year behind the likes of Tomtom or Garmin, phone voice recognition only works with names and you have to press DIAL button to dial, no maintenance/diagnostic mode, therefore changing the volume of bluetooth system requiring a 200 bucks visit to the dealership... not happy chappy. :mad:

17. SmogSlide

SmogSlide Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just done what you suggested; disconnect the +ve terminal for 15 mins, reconnect and start car twice (first time after some initialisation), battery charge was OK (12.5 off and 14.5 on). Driven it around and tested out the IPA again; did not work. I suspect PCS does not work either, it's hard to test. But DRCC is OK.

There are still no initialisation help screen when I use IPA first time after battery reconnection as per Toyota instruction. I am destined to pay a visit to the dealership. I would ask for a full report of what they have found and how to avoid the same situation again (i.e. don't have to fork out a 200 bucks visit each time the battery goes flat).

I read somewhere in this forum mentioning the car should automatically shuts off some features to save battery after 3 days undriven... is that true? Do I have to press something in order for it to go into power saving mode? I will be on a 2-week holiday end of December, this debacle starts to make me a little nervous.

18. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The only thing I know of is the Smart Key System which, on our Gen3 cars, does disable itself after a few days to save the battery. The Gen2 Prius had a switch for this purpose.

The dead battery while parked issue is still unresolved, some believe it is a batch of bad 12V batteries, others think it may be a sneak circuit of some type drawing to much current when the car is off. Dealers usually conclude it is the owners fault. It hasn't happened to me or any of my mates in the hybrid car club so I haven't been able to do anything but read about other peoples experience. It only seems to happen to a small percentage of the cars so the odds are in your favor.

The Prius is easy to jump start using the under hood connection or going directly to the battery. You don't even need big high current jumper cables such as you would use for a regular car, some smaller wire would be fine, maybe 14 or 16 gauge with clips on the ends. Instructions are in the U.S. and Canadian owner's manuals and may be in yours as well, perhaps you have run across them. Of course you can always just unhook the battery before you go but it doesn't seem we should have to do that with new cars.

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok I concede... that does sound pretty crappy! Oye!

20. SmogSlide

SmogSlide Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, just took my car for a checkup... not surprisingly, they couldn't find anything wrong with it. But then they found the system needs recalibration after the rear bumper has been moved/replaced. So we went through the manual (found out how to enter into Maintenance Mode, by holding down Info-Tel button and turn on and off the headlights 3 times, yay!!), recalibrated the rear camera. But the IPA is still not working, showing the same previous error message (parking space not large enough for park assist to work...) Tried with different parking space with wider parking spots, still no good.

They now trying to find what exactly the repairers have done and will have to re-book my car in for a full day to do full recalibration... what a hassle!

Well, I guess I would try something out tonight with that newfound Maintenance Mode! That manual looks useful and unsure where we can get our hands on?!

1 person likes this.