1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IPA question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Wooski, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Wooski

Wooski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys,

I have a UK T-Spirit which is equipped with IPA. It parallel parks fine on the left hand side but when I try to use it on the right it just doesnt recognise the space - even driving pretty close to the other cars and sub 9mph. Should this feature be available on both side of the car?

My car has an issue with the front bumper, which was removed and is being replaced. So it could just be that the sensor on my right hand side is not connected properly.

Thanks.

2. Fujisan

Fujisan Blizzard Brigade #309

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What's up with your bumper Wooski?

3. nparker13

nparker13 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Interesting. It definitely relies on sensors in the front when using the assisted parallel parking (pressing the button first then scoping out the spot), but it should be able to operate regardless based on the image the backup camera generates (and that you select). I'll have to give it a try (only use it for back in parking so far).

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I have a Prius V with AT and the IPA parks on either side of the street. It has a sonar sensor on both the left and right hand side of the front bumper for just this.

I'm going to guess that one sensor is not functioning properly (not cpnnected properly, etc) after your bumper replacement.

5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Have you tried pressing the target parking position button to switch from left to right?

6. Wooski

Wooski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you press the button again it jumps from parallel to rear parking mode.

The problem with the bumper is because I ordered front parking sensors and they are not compatible with the IPA system. Something not realised until the 4 holes had been drilled in the bumper to fit the front kit. Apparently mine was not the only car damaged in this way. So I'm getting a new undrilled front bumper from Toyota. My guess is that the dealer's mechanics did not probably connect the right hand sensor back up properly when they re-fitted the damaged bumper. My new one is due next week hopefully.

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm talking about a different button. You press it when you want to move the target parking position left or right. If you can confirm it only works on one side when touching this button, you have a faulty sensor.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah there's a separate button to switch it from left to right parallel parking which would be opposite to the button that switches to reverse parking.

9. Wooski

Wooski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What second button? I've just re-checked the manual - it doesn't mention a second button either. Strange.

10. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This button

Attached Files:

11. Wooski

Wooski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see - its on the screen. I'll try again tonight. Thanks.

12. Wooski

Wooski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mmmm. I only get access to that option to switch sides after it has measured a space on the left hand side. When I first select IPA mode it doesnt give me an option to switch sides. The problem is I live in a side street with parking on both sides and only enough room for a single one way lane of traffic up the middle. There are more spaces on the right hand side, so this is quite annoying for me. Especially as it works pretty well on the left.

13. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Have you tried driving closer to the right side (less than 1 m from the cars) and see if it'll detect the right side first?

14. Wooski

Wooski New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I have. I suspect it's an issue with the sensor to be honest - I know the front bumper has been off the car and then re-fitted.

What troubles me is no reference to sides in the manual. However it does show a picture clearly showing that both sides should be trying to detect other vehicles.

Thanks for your help.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah it should detect either side without issue. We'll see if it's fixed after the new bumper is installed (Assuming they remember to attach the sensor wires)