1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iphone 3g car kit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by drobb78, Mar 18, 2009.

1. drobb78

drobb78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I want a car kit that can charge my iPhone 3G and play music through the FM transmitter. I was looking at the Griffin RoadTrip. I really like the wireless look of the device but the flexible neck seems very short considering the cigarette lighter on the '04 Prius is so far away from the driver seat.

Does anyone have this product and if so, is the neck long enough to reach the phone? Any other suggestions on car kits that will serve as a dock, charger, and FM transmitter?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    DealExtreme: Reviews for AllKit Cigarette Mount Holder and Charger with Full Range FM Transmitter for iPhone and iPod

There's also the above, a little less expensive. Not sure if this gooseneck is longer than the Griffin though. And neither one can rotate to landscape mode, however, which is why I don't think I'll get it for my wife's iPhone.

If you want to use a cigarette mount of any type in the Prius, you can do like I did and add something like this:

http://priuschat.com/forums/audio-e...se-car-charger-dual-usb-ports.html#post801028

Once you have something like that, your options open up. Such as:

FM TRANSMITTER FOR iPHONE 3G CAR CHARGER CRADLE G3 DOCK - eBay (item 250326846953 end time Apr-15-09 13:04:55 PDT)

Have fun!

3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You could also consider Kensington liquid aux (2 different versions).

4. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Can the LiquidAux swivel to landscape mode?

5. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  6. drobb78

drobb78 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks ZenMachine.

If I the multi-use car charger with FM transmitter dock you linked to above, will my iPhone charge or simply hold the current power?

Also, is it necessary to unplug the multi-use car charger from the cigarette lighter when the car is not in use? In other words, will leaving it plugged in while parked drain the battery?

I really appreciate your suggestions.

7. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had two links, not sure which one you're referring to, but I'm quite positive that they both will charge the phone, provided that you have them plugged into a switched 12V outlet (dashboard or console) and the car is turned ON.

I highly doubt it. When the car is turned off, your switched 12V outlets are also off.

8. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Unless you install one of these:
    Power Outlet Mod

9. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The Toyota iPod adapter will work with an iPhone. The phone will give the message that the accessory is not supported and ask if you want to turn on flight mode. Hitting no works fine. The steering wheel controls will advance track.

It also charges the phone.