1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone 4 Bluetooth Music Streaming Sound Drops Out

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by web1b, Sep 1, 2011.

1. web1b

web1b Active Member

I switched from an Android phone to a iPhone 4 and after the switch I noticed that sometimes the bluetooth A2DP audio goes out in the middle of playing. The bluetooth does not drop connection or lose pairing, but there just no sound.
    I can tap the "play" icon on the Nav touch screen and the sound comes back for a minute or so and goes out again repeatedly. If I don't do anything and just wait, after a minute or two the sound spontaneously returns and usually keeps going.
    At first I though it was a problem with the podcast app I was using, but then I noticed the exact same behavior with playing music with the built-in native iPod app.

It's hard to tell if it is the phone hardware, phone software or if it is a problem with the car's audio system.

Has anyone noticed anything like this?

2. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I haven't, no; I'd suggest stopping by a Genius Bar at an Apple store, and see if they'll swap iPhones for you so you can try a different one (I'm assuming you're still in the 1-year warranty). You could also try restoring the phone as if it were brand new, in case there's a software problem on the phone (which could be copied to a new phone, if you restore that one from a backup of the old one).

The one thing I do occasionally see, though, is that I pinch the volume-down button in my pocket, which has a similar effect, except that I don't think the play button will cause it to come back up.

If that doesn't work, take it to the dealer and show them. If it only happens rarely, a video of it happening might be useful for them, so they can see that the radio still says the bluetooth is connected. And if you haven't driven too far, that'll be under warranty as well.

3. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it a Verizon iPhone? There are some bugs in iOS 4 versions prior to 4.3 that cause that exact behavior. The Verizon iPhone is will stuck on 4.2, so it would still have that problem. iOS 5 will bring both models up to date and the problem should go away. It's due out sometime this fall.

4. web1b

web1b Active Member

It is a Verizon iPhone 4.
    Where have you heard of this specific problem before?

5. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The sooner the better for iOS5 :)

6. Mgbmgb

Mgbmgb New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with the other poster who said it is the Verizon iPhone 4 software. I have a Verizon iPhone running iOS 4.2.1 and I have EXACTLY the same problem in my 2010 Acura TL! This forum is the only place where I've seen this same problem described. Of course Toyota & Honda might both buy the same Bluetooth chips, but I think faulty Bluetooth transmission from the phone is more likely. Has anyone tried iOS 5 yet?