1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone 4 does not chirp when connected

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by etkal, Mar 24, 2012.

1. etkal

etkal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I connect my iPhone 4 to my new 2012 Prius it no longer makes the "connected" chirp sound. I get the same behaviour if plugged into the USB port or either 12V (using a Griffin 12V/USB converter). The same charger worked fine in my 2006 Prius, and it works fine in a 2012 Impreza.

I also measured the voltage and it's 15.0-15.2V, same as the Impreza that works fine as well.

Note that the phone still charges with no problem, but it stops making audio effects such as txt and email alerts. I have to either connect the phone to another power source that it's happy with, or reboot the phone.

What could be different about the 2012 Prius 12V outlets from that in my previous Prius and other cars???

2. billinmd

billinmd Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I don't believe it is an outlet or power issue. Most like it is because your iPhone is linked via Bluetooth. I know once my phone is linked, I don't hear the sounds unless I am listening to Bluetooth audio.

- Bill -

2010 Toyota Prius V w/ATP (8/10 build) - Barcelona Red w/Dark Gray Leather

iPad ?

3. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I took to long typing Bill beat me but I think that we are on the right track.

Probably because the radio is off, when you connect your iPhone to the USB in your car the iPhones audio is routed through the USB and not out the phones speaker like if how you just plugged it in to a charger. I don't recall if you can select the USB tab without having a device connected or not but you can try and then plug in your phone, maybe then you can hear the beep. It could also be that your phone is pairing with the Bluetooth first and the plug in beep may be heard with the BT tab selected?

Posted from my iPhone via the Tapatalk app.

4. etkal

etkal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yup, thanks, it's because the phone is connected via Bluetooth. If I connect via USB and then select the iPod tab in order to play music, then it seems to disconnect the bluetooth audio device part and then the sounds work correctly. If connected via Bluetooth then some sounds do seem to work, but barely - the audio quiesces slightly and sometimes I can hear a faint sound effect through the car audio system.