1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Iphone 4

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by eaglesight333, Jun 7, 2010.

1. eaglesight333

eaglesight333 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For those of you who missed it. Apple released the Iphone 4 today. Although I am not a huge Apple fan, the new phone looks really nice. Pre-orders start next Tuesday, with offical launch on June 24. Here are some links from the event of today.

iPhone 4 announced, launching June 24 for $199 with new FaceTime video chat -- Engadget

AT&T: upgrade to iPhone 4 up to six months early -- Engadget

iPhone 4 vs. iPhone 3GS: the tale of the tape -- Engadget

iPhone 4 first hands-on! (update: FaceTime video demo) -- Engadget

iPhone 3GS drops to $99, 8GB only -- iPhone 3G discontinued -- Engadget

iPhone 4 vs. EVO 4G... fight! -- Engadget

2. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I want one because it seems to be real cool, but my 3GS is only 6 months old. iPhone is great but AT&T needs to upgrade their network. Poor reception in my home, dropped calls, and weak signals all over.

1 person likes this.
  3. eaglesight333

eaglesight333 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yea. You are not the only one. A lot of people were hoping for a Verizon announcement today. But no such luck. It will probably come next year. :(

4. blueumbrella

blueumbrella Member of Prius Regeneration

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, AT&T would love to tie you up for another two years. In my experience, AT&T sucks. Very poor service. I will not buy another iPhone until there is another seller.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    iPhone is crap anyways. Nothing special about a disfunctional locked down thing of crap.

And those with iPhones that complain about reception should complain to Steve Jobs, not AT&T. I have been using AT&T phones since early 2002 and my reception has always been great on AT&T, then Cingular, and now AT&T again.

Even next to eachother, my T7272 gets 4-5bars all the time whereas the iphone my sister has gets 2-3. In elevators I get bars. In the boonies, I get reception of 1-2bars where those with iphones have no reception at all.

And I didnt have to wait 3 generations to get copy/paste. I can program my own programs and put them on my phone with one click. I can use flash products, browse the full web, use any program I want however I want, and to top it off my reception is better, my battery life is better, and the OS itself is better.

iPhone is for those that don't know any better. HTC all the way

6. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    HTC EVO seems to be having some minor 'problems': Wi-Fi reception issues are being seen with the HTC EVO 4G? (Phone Arena News)

And I have a Verizon HTC Droid Incredible that I am evaluating for 30 days and there are spots where there is no coverage with Verizon but Sprint has 4 bars on the BlackBerry Curve 8330 that I have had since December, 2007.

Net, net, try before you buy. BTW, the EVO pricing model is a joke - very few places with 4G coverage, yet you get to pay for 4G coverage even if you don't have access to 4G.

7. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would rather have WiFi reception problems than Cell reception problems. ;)

And the HTC problem is pretty much the same problem as what is with the iphones in respect to WiFi. The antenna is positioned in such a way that when you grab or hold the phone, you are blocking the reception usually. With the iphone it is on the bottom (and most people "cup" the iphone) and with most HTC phones it is near the top and back, where most people do a one hand grip thing exposing only the top of the whip and not the sides.

But really there is no good place for a hidden antenna on a mobile device. If people liked the aesthetics of a huge nubbin on the phone for reception, we would get 5 bars everywhere with everyone. But since phone makers dont like that, they put it inside and coverage suffers. Form over function...

8. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1 person likes this.
  9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    verizon just released 3 new Androids. Android just passed the i phone as #1 smartphone. i would not plan on seeing iphone on verizon any time soon

10. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    #1 in what, Dave?

The iPhone has more apps than Android.
    The iPhone has sold more apps than any other platform.
    The iPhone accounts for a majority of the cellular internet usage.

Sure, the Android platform has a ton of different phones all competing against each other and the iPhone... but they're made by different companies! Comparing sales of multiple companies smart phones to Apple iPhones....

1 person likes this.
  11. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    The Android OS was on more phones sold in 1Q2010 than the iPhone OS.

What this really means is left to the reader.

BTW, Blackberry is #1. Android and iPhone are battling for #2.

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    since the i-phone is exclusive to AT&T and its network is simply incapable of having the majority of anything, that would be wrong. Blackberries are #1 smartphone in use today by a very very very wide margin, but #1 in sales for most recent period tracked was the android and that lead will greatly widen.

the fact of the matter; having the i-phone on AT&T exclusively has probably cost Apple several billion in revenue

13. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Meh. Yet another shiny crapgadget for people to um...."touch gesture on" in public. You still can't do bluetooth tethering for less than $70 a month. I've been doing it for $40 a month for the past 3 years.

14. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The only way to know for sure is to try one out for yourself. In California, you have a 30-day trial period where you can return the phone and you are only charged a re-stocking fee and whatever usage you incurred. Get the phone and carrier you are interested in and then retrace your normal usage pattern with the new phone. See what it does and doesn't do. Then make an informed decision.

For me, the 2 1/2 year old BlackBerry Curve 8330 on Sprint is doing a pretty good job of competing with the HTC Incredible on Verizon. Notwithstanding Verizon's claims of having the greatest coverage, the Curve has coverage where Verizon doesn't. Which is kind of odd since Verizon and Sprint have mutual roaming agreements.... :confused:

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    they do, but i am fairly confident that the opposing carrier's phones are hampered for data transmission speeds and priority access to each high speed network.

i had both for a few months in my transition to verizon and the differences were like night and day

16. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It kind of depends on what you mean by 'soon'. The rumor of the moment is that Verizon is testing an iPhone for availability around 1Q2011.

IMO, the approach that Google is taking with their Android O/S is the only way to compete with Apple and BlackBerry for the smartphone market. Get a bunch of manufacturers to sell phones with your O/S and get the development community fired up at the prospect of deploying their applications across multiple handsets. Google is going to be making their coin from the adverts that are displayed on each handset that is running Android applications.

The balance of 2010 and 2011 is going to be an interesting period in the smartphone business. If Apple wants to beat Google, they are going to have to move beyond AT&T. There are people on Verizon (and to a lesser extent, Sprint) who would love an iPhone, but won't make the switch to AT&T. Those people are slowly being moved over to the Android platforms for a net loss to Apple.

17. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think it is more about comparing Android to iOS. Or, closed architecture to open. Apple is a powerhouse. But they are being hindered in the U.S. by their exclusive with AT&T. Also, the entry cost for Android applications is far lower than for iOS. Can Apple overwhelm Android competition from Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile (there is even some Android sales occurring on AT&T)? IMO, AT&T is really hindering iOS. For example, the FaceTime video application will only work with WiFi. Why? Because sending that much data over AT&T's network would bring it to its knees (maybe shut it down all together). Even WiFi is problematic; Jobs had a bit of an embarrassing moment at WWDC when he tried to show the difference between screen resolution on the 3GS and iOS phones because the wireless router was biffing.... He should have had a locked down router that was limited to the two phones with its own dedicated DSL connection, but that is 20-20 hindsight. Right now, Apple has some great features, but is being held back by its wireless partner.

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    right now, the biggest draw to the i phone is the amount of apps available. that issue is why Palm nearly failed. they had like less than 100 apps. Blackberry was losing its overwhelming lead fast because of the same issue. their app world now has several hundred apps.

one thing is clear; the Android is a runaway success, now if all its different entities were running in the same direction, it would be the hands down winner. its hardware is leagues beyond anything including the upgraded i phone which is basically coming in with what Android was doing last year.

but right now we do have the typical growing pains of open source development. too many apps only compatible with specific OS versions along with rapidly emerging OS upgrades causing app developers to be in a constant state of catchup.

The Moto droid which is very popular in both its fame and infamy has been out barely 6 months and has already undergone several major software upgrades (fixes?? or whatever you want to call them)

each one makes the device better and one would have to assume that will continue. i personally think that Google's product development track is a bit flawed but then again, not sure who i am to blame. releasing a touch only version of the latest hardware version is pretty stupid and although the iphone is touch only, there is a huge huge market that will not buy a phone without a physical keyboard no matter what.

it almost appears that Google in its attempt to unseat the i-phone, has moved to much in the same direction as Apple in too many ways. trying to make an i phone will be a massive failure. they need to find a different direction and prove it to be a better way

19. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    BlackBerry had better lose their complacency (and arrogance), or the Android handsets will eat their lunch. Motorolla is supposed to be releasing an improved edition of the Droid with the sliding keyboard. HTC is in a similar mode as well.

It could cost Apple their market opportunity.

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    RIM is moving in a more "media-centric" direction. they launched their AppWorld about a year ago to open up their OS.... they now play MP3's take pics, etc... something that was pretty rare a few years ago.

they have also dropped pricing, 2 year upgrade on a BB Curve 2 is $29.99.... i can remember getting my pearl about 4 years ago... cost me $250 on the upgrade price.