1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone 4S & USB

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by bighouse, Oct 31, 2011.

1. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's been mentioned already that the new and improved iPhone 4S works SO much better with BT. You can see artist/album/track lists in the display and fast forward/repeat, etc. both with the steering wheel controls OR the SEEK/TRACK buttons on the JBL unit.

Well today I plugged my iPhone 4S into the dedicated USB port in the console and I can tell you that the USB tab on the HU works PERFECTLY now. It's fast, and you can see artist/album/track info...and you can hit tabs to move to different artists on the list (something not easily done via bluetooth!). You can even see playlists if you've created them...so all in all, the USB port connection to the iPhone finally works and make sense. I think I may be using it now instead of Bluetooth. :)

2. evebill8

evebill8 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In fact, I have problem with the BT. It works great with the 1st iPhone, but it fails to map the second iPhone. I like the USB connection too, but you can't play sounds with other apps. I have a Internet radio apps that connect me to radio stations in any countries. The USB option won't work, but the BT option will.

3. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ah, I haven't tried to use the USB port to listen to Pandora, Sirius|XM or Spotify. I would expect those, however, to only work via the BT connection as there's no way to actually have them identify as a song or a playlist on the phone.

4. JoelIrwin

JoelIrwin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Its not just the 4s. I have a 4 and as soon as I upgraded to iOs 5, the ID tags started showing up for the "Music" app. However, as noted, other apps don't fare as well - I use the "TuneInRadio" app to listen to live streamed radio. It plays fine but and shows playing information on the iphone but does not properly pass it on to the car display. Ditto for Pandora.

By the way, Skype also works through BT to the car speakers.

5. Dacoops3

Dacoops3 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With an update to the app today, Pandora now works PERFECTLY with BT. It shows Artist, Song title, and Album. A bonus is album artwork from Pandora is shown in the background on the iPhone lock screen, just like the music app does. :D

6. JoelIrwin

JoelIrwin New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    For those of you 4s users - I have a 4 with iOS5. I have noticed that the prius will display the first track ID information perfectly, but if the iPhone automatically moves to the next track, the track info does not change on the Prius display. However, if I manually move to the next track on the iPhone it will.

Anyone else notice this on a iPhone 4 with iOS 5? Does this happen also on a 4s?