1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone 5 Lightning Adapter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jk823, Sep 14, 2012.

1. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I have the iPod integration kit installed in my Gen II 2009 Prius. I love using it to listen to stuff on my iPhone 4 (and charging my phone!)

With the new iPhone 5 coming out I'm seeing a lot of press about the new adapter and how it's necessary to buy a $29 "Lightning Adapter" to make it work with the old 30-pin connector (like the one in my Prius). BUT I'm reading in a lot of places that the new adapter doesn't work with some cars (iPhone 5, new iPod, may leave some cars in the dust | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews) but nothing about Toyotas.

Any idea if it'll work with the integrated iPod Connector Kit installed in my Prius??

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is this an official Toyota kit? I think we won't know until someone gets their hands on one.

Supposedly Lightning is digital only, so if the kit depends on analog audio out, unless Apple's adapters got some D/A conversion, you're SOL.

There's been a LOT of discussion about this on Tivocommunity in the Happy Hour section (but you need an account there to view that area). The discussion is more general along the lines of various cars, car stereos, speakers, and docks.

3. jk823

jk823 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the official kit, yeah. So basically no one knows if the kit is analog or digital -- but if it's analog we're SOL. I assumed there would be a lot of conversation about this on here, but was surprised that I didn't see anything....

Guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it'll work or some third-party company will make a suitable adapter.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you care, the TC thread where there's a lot of discussion about Lightning is at TiVo Community. You'll need to have a (free) account to see the area and the post. Search for lightning.

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OP: Is USB a fallback option for you ?

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Does the Toyota iPod connection kit have USB support?

I don't have such a kit and have always been using the aux in jack. Works great for me.

7. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Depending on the particular car kit, the USB to lightning cable might be the way to go.

8. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Here's an explanation of the limitations of the adaptor:
    Apple's $30 Lightning adapter sets off outrage - Sep. 13, 2012
    "The old 30-pin connector that Apple had been using on all iPods, iPads and iPhones since 2003 was able to send an analog signal out, which many cars, docks and other gadgets picked up to control the iPod and play music through their speakers. The new eight-prong Lightning adapter is all digital, converting the analog signal to digital (see correction below). Some older speaker docks and cars will still be able to play music from an iPhone 5. But users won't be able to control their playlists through their car stereos or remote controls."