1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone and Prius integraion - Dension, VAIS or other... help me choose?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by DaveSheremata, Mar 5, 2008.

1. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi All

Well, me and the GF both have beautiful new 16G iphones, and I'm starting to realize what a hassle it is to listen to stuff while driving - it's very unsafe to traverse and navigate through playlists on the beltway.

I've read a bunch of posts scattered about PriusChat, AFAIK, there are only two systems that integrate iPods/iPhones into the Prius's MFD control system - the Dension line and the VAIS line.

Can anyone shed any input as to which product you chose, and why? Would you buy it again? I'd just like to know which is best.

Thanks,
    Dave

2. ndalyte

ndalyte New Member

Did anyone reply to you privately? I"ve been watching your posting because I have the same question. I have a 16GB iPhone and a 2005 Prius with navigation. I'm looking for the best possible option to control the iPhone from the steering wheel and of course perfect sound.

Dension support emailed me back last week saying that you can control the music but you won't see anything textual from the iPhone on the navigation screen. The VAIS webpage suggests you'll even see your videos on the nav screen. Does anyone know if that's true? Even for a 2005 Prius and for sure with the new 16GB iPhone? Anyone? Beuhler?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

DS

3. stoneea

stoneea New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a 2006 Prius with Nav and bought the VAIS unit for 30Gb iPod. Installation was very simple (once you get over having to dismantle the dash trim). It worked great and when I got the iPhone it plugged right in and worked great.

The iPhone will display a message and offer to go into airplane mode but this is not necessary. It will still respond to the bluetooth interface with the car to make or answer calls.

Play lists show up as folders on the nav display so all songs, podcasts, audiobooks, or what ever other audio you have must be in a play list.