1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone and streaming music via bluetooth

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Fireyshamrock, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Fireyshamrock

Fireyshamrock New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2005 Prius and currently play my music through the tape deck via my iPhone 4. I was driving a few days ago and saw in the bottom right hand of the screen a square with a little triangle in it. After clicking it I had the option to play through the bluetooth connection. I was VERY excited as less cables would be great & I didn't think I had the option. I got in the car the next day and the option isnt there anymore, I don't know how it happened, but I know it did so there HAS to be a way to do it and I am just the idiot who can't figure it out. Any ideas?

2. Fireyshamrock

Fireyshamrock New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Note - I have an iPhone4 with iOS5. I have the nav screen and all that jazz on the prius as well. I am just at a loss for why it randomly just came on and I can't recreate it to happen again.

3. Fireyshamrock

Fireyshamrock New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ........Buuuuueeeellller?

4. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    music streaming is not supported by the bluetooth protocols on any G2 model of the Prius. So unless your radio has been replaced with an aftermarket unit, it can not stream music wirelessly over bluetooth.

5. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an IP4 too and a 2004 Prius with B/T. I was able to get the NAV voice from my iPhone to play over the bluetooth. Even tho my car has nav, I sometimes use the TomTom app in areas where there are new subdivisions (I have a 2008 data disk). Anyhow, I can't figure out how it does that, but it does. Also, I can hear my voice mails thru the b/T.

6. J.Wilkie

J.Wilkie 80 Mile Daily Commute

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I hear my Voicemails through bluetooth also. I have a IP4 too.

7. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if your 2004 doesn't have the aux-in port in console, then the only way is to replace the HU or keep using the cassette adapter

I can tell you I wish i had a cassette adapter over the annoying crackling aux-in input in my console

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Crackling or is it more of an electrical noise that's coordinated w/various vehicle activities (e.g. pressing on the brake)? When? Always or only when your device is being powered?

9. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am aware of the noise you speak of ( electrical ground playing thru speakers) but that's not what I was referring to. When my iPhone 4s or my old iPhone 4 is connected via aux in I get a crackling when it's playing and sometimes it goes also monotone like a channel fades out. Only goes back to Normal when I open console and fiddle with auxin wire ( it's not the wire because this is the third wire that does it). This is annoying when your listening to a great track doing 80mph down te highway and all of a sudden the track goes out? I mean really lol

10. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just not possible on the 2nd Gen Prius, unless you have an aftermarket radio.

11. DaBlick

DaBlick New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are charging your iPhone when this noise is happening try unifying the charger to see if the noise goes away. For me, it always does. Sometimes I find that if I unplug the charger and then plug it back the crackling sound does NOT come back. So it is sometimes possible to listen and charge wo the noise.

12. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, thats not entirely true... a few cars ago I had my mp3 player hooked up to play through the cassette player via one of these:

[​IMG]

However what you meant to say is it is impossible to play music streaming through bluetooth on a Gen2. Right?

13. Kurzweil

Kurzweil Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've played music through my 2004 Bluetooth. It was not a pleasant experience. The frequency response is severely limited and only suitable for a phone call. The iPhone music was a voice recording but the quality of the recording was high. Cassette adapter is the way to go on this model.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  14. Bradkb

Bradkb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a parrot bluetooth kit that supports music streaming, and regularly stream from my iphone5 to the car, works great

15. Kurzweil

Kurzweil Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So perhaps my experience reflects limitations with the factory CD/cassette/bluetooth system.

16. Pandalover

Pandalover Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A