1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone, Bluetooth 2 and the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by hdrygas, Jan 14, 2007.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have been looking around and can not find an answer to my question. Does anyone have an opinion as to wether the iPhone will able to link to the Prius. It is listed as Bluetooth 2 with EDR. I have looked at Toyota's page and the Bluetooth site and can not determine if they might work together.

2. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR is backwards compatible in the same way that USB 2.0 devices will still work on a computer with USB 1.1. They just won't be as fast. In theory, it should work, but nobody will know for sure until one of us actually gets our hands on it.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That is the answer I expected. I switched to Cingular from Verizon because Verizon was not going to make their Bluetooth compatible with the Prius. I just did not fit their business plan so I don't give them my business. I guess I wait, unless Steve wants me to be a beta tester?

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    People with connections to Apple own Prii. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple made sure the iPhone worked in a Prius. But.....we won't know until someone with a Prius owns an iPhone.

I'll be waiting until there are more iPhone models to choose from, it's unlocked and the price has come down. It will happen just like the iPod.

With luck, I'll get an iPhone to go with my future Plug-In Prius (w/ advanced battery technology of some kind....maybe Lithiumsomething)

It's gonna happen. It's just how and when.

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Jan 14 2007, 12:22 PM) [snapback]375549[/snapback]</div>
    Well, that's not quite true I have an e815 with Verizon and it's worked since day one. The phonebook issue is another matter.

6. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Jan 14 2007, 03:22 PM) [snapback]375549[/snapback]</div>
    I have a motorola Q with Verizon and it sync's and pairs nicely with the Prius via bluetooth. So does my wife's LG chocolate with verizon. Actually, the Verizon web site lists the 2006, 2007 Toyota Prius as being one of the vehicles that the bluetooth will work with, including phone book transfer.

Good luck with the Cingular thing though.

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the syncing BT ANYTHING with verizon is something relatively new and brought on by customer demand. the moto E-815 is a direct result of that demand, before only audio could be transfered, now much much more is available via BT including contact lists, videos, pix, etc. stereo BT headphones for the music function is the latest wrinkle.

*edit*

for PDA's including the moto Q

http://support.vzw.com/pdf/BT_Chart_PDAs.pdf

phones including the enV

http://support.vzw.com/pdf/BT_Chart_Handsets.pdf

8. scoot

scoot Member

I think that the bluetooth pairing is a function of the phone, not the cellular provider. (Independent of that, I have always dislike Verizon and Sprint, and have always liked Cingular)

9. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scoot @ Jan 17 2007, 03:09 PM) [snapback]376945[/snapback]</div>

Yes and no. Well, no - the providers "do" have some control over bluetooth pairing.
    Usually they're provided a reference ROM image from the manufacturer and then they customize it - you know, funky ring tones, boot screen, etc.
    The distributors develop their ROM images based on these and then send them back to the manufacturers for packaging and re-delivery back again to the providers. The "final" ROMS contain bluetooth "profiles" - basically configurations for what you can do with Bluetooth. Verizon is notorious for turning off bluetooth features in their roms by removing profiles. It almost makes good sense when you consider how many different communication products they sell, and how they wouldn't like you to be using your bluetooth evdo phone as your wireless modem for your laptop when they can sell you DSL, or FIOS, or a separate EVDO card, etc etc....

Fortunately for the world, there are hackers :). As an example, check out xdadevelopers.com for several fixes for some of the higher end windows mobile phones with missing bluetooth profiles, etc.

Dave

10. STxPrius

STxPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Jan 14 2007, 12:48 PM) [snapback]375523[/snapback]</div>

My iPhone works well in my 2007 Prius.

1 person likes this.
  11. Adman01

Adman01 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(STexasPrius @ Nov 2 2007, 07:59 AM) [snapback]533808[/snapback]</div>
    My iPhone works well in my 2008. It paired so quickly I actually set it up
    during my first test drive with the sales person on board.
    Fair to say it works very well!

Matthew

12. SOCOM

SOCOM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Jan 14 2007, 02:48 PM) [snapback]375523[/snapback]</div>

IPHONE works with my 2008. Contacts will not transfer.

13. cellculturist

cellculturist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SOCOM @ Nov 3 2007, 05:37 PM) [snapback]534480[/snapback]</div>
    I experience the same with my 2008 Touring. The iPhone still does not have a way to transfer or "push" the contacts to the car. I'll bug Apple to implement it.

For now, I'll send the contacts via my BlackBerry Pearl.

14. thofmeister

thofmeister New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cellculturist @ Nov 4 2007, 01:11 AM) [snapback]534552[/snapback]</div>

Has anyone used one of the iPod connection devices to connect their iPhone for iPod use?

My aux jack doesn't fit in the recessed jack on the iPhone and I was thinking of using this as an excuse to get a more integrated iPod interface on my 2007 touring.

15. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Just "bit the bullet" and got an Iphone 5 days ago. The Iphone had no problem syncing up with the prius. It also pairs faster than the E815 and the Sony Ericcson T68i that I previously used. As far as downloading the phone book, the Iphone and the e815 are/were useless. The T68i, however, is my hardware download utility.

Any phone book I create gets loaded into the T68i (cost $30.00 on Ebay), and then downloaded wherever.

I downloaded the phone list into Outlook as "Phonebook" and then synced it on Itunes. The IPhone now has all 200 phone numbers, with multiple phones listed in work, home, and mobile categories wherever they were on the original phone list.

After a couple of days to figure this out, it looks like its worked out OK.

By the way - for all IPhone owners there is a great book by David Pogue, who writes a column for the NY Times. It's called IPhone The Missing Manual. You can see it at:

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Missing-Manua...709&sr=8-1d

16. Skello83

Skello83 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

I just got an iPhone and can't figure out how to connect it to my Prius (06).
    You say yours works...can you explain me how you made it work? mine just seems not to "see" the car.

thanks for your help
    ;)

17. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Special iPhone Cable Needed for "Aux" Jack

The iPhone requires a special recessed jack at the iPhone end of the connecting cable (accomodates the microphone and option button on the iPhone earphones). There are several available; be sure you buy one labled "Works with iPhone".

18. Skello83

Skello83 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry,
    I mean how to use/pair the iphone to the Prius Bluetooth!!
    Anyone who says it works, could explain how to set it up?
    My car doesn't seem to "see" my iphone! :(

thanks

;)

19. johnford

johnford Old Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    And then there are those of us out here in the cheap seats with our Bluetooth dongle on our TracPhone.
    No help in sight.... jf

20. johnford

johnford Old Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    And then there are those of us out here in the cheap seats with our Bluetooth dongle on our TracPhone.
    No help in sight.... jf :(