1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone connects to car via bluetooth, but audio doesn't play on car's audio system

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by MattTheCat, Oct 9, 2016.

1. MattTheCat

MattTheCat New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    One
    first time posting here. I searched for my question before posting this, as I didn't want to duplicate questions that have already been answered. However, all the previous versions of this question I saw are old and don't answer the question.

I've had my Prius for over a year. I've always been able to listen to music and podcasts on my iPhone by connecting my iPhone to my Prius via bluetooth and listening to it over the car's audio system. I've never had a problem with this. Until today.

Today, all of a sudden, my Prius no longer plays my iPhone audio over the car's audio system. It's really weird. My Prius recognizes my Iphone. It says it is connected via bluetooth. When I play songs, it shows them on the Prius audio display. I can even use the car's audio controls to change songs. However, no sound actually comes out of my car's speakers. While the car shows the phone as connected, the sound is all coming from the phone, not the car.

By contrast, when I play the radio, the sound comes out of the speakers just fine.

I tried restarting both my phone and the bluetooth and my car but none of these things works.

What's going on? Please help!

2. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What level iPhone? What iOS version?

The iPhone's major shortcoming (to me) is the lack of a detailed audio control. It's possible your music playback is muted or set to minimum.

I have an iPhone 5s with iOS 10. I've not tested the BT sound lately, but it's worked so far.

Also, check your BT settings so that BOTH phone and music know to pair to the iPhone. I suppose it's possible to do one and not the other.

MattTheCat likes this.
  3. RichardScarry21

RichardScarry21 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    One
    If you're running iOS 10, you'll need to touch the Airplay icon at the bottom of the music (or podcast) screen and select 'Dock Connector'.

Attached Files:

4. MattTheCat

MattTheCat New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I think it turns out that my iPhone volume was turned down to minimum. Whoops! I should have checked that first before I came here! Embarrassed

5. Joseph Mohr

Joseph Mohr New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My Galaxy s7 and my wife's Galaxy A3 is connecting via Bluetooth with our Prius 3 Navi +Hdd, but the media player is not working. If I try to slide the media player switch on the phone's menu, it is unchecking itself automatically. With my Honor 7 was perfect. What is your idea, how can I fix it?

6. Spinwmts

Spinwmts New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the same problem. Paired to Bluetooth fine with my new Xr but no sound. The phone showed it was connected under the Bluetooth menu but I did not have it as an output option.

The solution for me was I had to pair the phone twice: Once from the Bluetooth Phone menu and then I went into SETUP/AUDIO and had another option to Pair with Bluetooth. I did that and had sound right away. Interesting note: I changed the name from "iphone" to "iphone xr" and when I went to the audio/BT menu it was still trying to connect iphone. I guess the two systems are separate but I don't remember having to setup my old phone twice like that.

7. Blynn79

Blynn79 New Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I have a 2019 Prius. I prefer to connect to the car with Bluetooth and only charge from the center console. I finally took the time to figure out how to do it without going to the control center of my phone.
    Turn on the car. Go to Audio/select device/pick the right one/bottom left device info/under device name-connect Audio player from/toggle to device. The next time you plug or unplug your phone you just have to hit play again.