1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Iphone/ipod integration options

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Gaprofitt, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Gaprofitt

Gaprofitt New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi All,

I have a 2007 Pkg 2 Prius, what are my options for adding iphone/ipod integration. I know previously i've seen dice and vais units, what other options do I have and what are the pro's and con's of each.

Thanks for your help.

Greg

2. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd recommend against the DICE based on my experience. Not sure if VAIS is better or not. But I feel that they both suffer the same basic limitation: they're forced to turn your iPod into a pretend CD changer or Sat receiver. So the interface will never be correct.

Because you have a Pkg 2 like me, upgrading the head unit isn't so difficult. I'm about to order one of these: Alpine iDA-X305 Digital media receiver for under $300 complete with wiring harness and dash kit. I don't care about playing CDs and this has by far the best iPod interface. See other threads about upgrading to aftermarket head units, there's a few ways to tackle it. Steering wheel controls can be kept if that matters, with another aftermarket product, the PAC SWI-JACK. Best price I've found is on Amazon. This may all be more than you want to do, but it's where I've ended up AFTER already paying for the DICE and regretting it.

- D