1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPhone newbie questions

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by zenMachine, Feb 18, 2010.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So my wife got me an iPhone 3GS for V day. I'm not a big Apple fan, but in this case I really don't want to offend her by returning the phone, so I'm learning to use it and hopefully will come to like it. I have some initial questions, however:

When the charge/sync cable is plugged in, the microphone doesn't seem to work. I can hear the caller but they can't hear me. Is this normal?

I'm planning to buy a docking station so that I can just prop it up while charging and use Speakerphone to make/receive calls. Is this possible? Any recommendation for a good dock?

I'm sure I'll have many other questions as time goes on, but for now these are my most urgent and immediate needs. MTIA!

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've used my iPhone quite a bit while charging it, and no one seems to have trouble hearing me. One thing that HAS happened to me a few times, though - i can accidentally press the mute button with my cheek before it gets close enough to my ear to turn the display off - then i can hear the other person just fine, but they can't hear me.

As for a dock... I would look for one that specifically advertises that functionality. The microphone is on the bottom of the phone, and most docks have it completely covered. Personally, i don't bother with a dock - I just have a standard iPod USB cable at each of my computers (desktop at home, laptop in the living room, and desktop at work) that i can charge it with, and it just sits next to me on the desk. The speaker phone works great from that position.