1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod and 05 Prius??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by BlackPrius05, Nov 21, 2005.

1. BlackPrius05

BlackPrius05 New Member

Hi everyone, I have been in and out of this website for help on things here and there. I own a black 05 Prius. I'm from the Boston area and I met a few people at a gathering in Framingham/Natick in the Jordan's furniture parking lot, but the only ones I remember the names of are Aerometer and Bob and Gilles Labelle.
    You may remember my Prius because it had leather seats and special chrome rims... let me know if anyone reading this remembers me...

Anyway, I just bought a new video iPod for the main reason of listening to music in my car. Obviously I don't want to sacrifice sound quality in anyway (ie cassette player [they make hiss sounds] and wireless FM transmitters [static noise]).

I bought a Wire-Tunes at Circuit City for 150, but when I got home, I looked in this forum and people said it didn't work with their Priuses. Then I called up the company that makes wire-tunes (Metra Electronics) and their tech support said that they don't make a wire-tunes that works with the Prius. No matter how new or old your Prius or iPod is (they seriously should take the sticker off the box that says it works with "2004-UP PRIUS")

So now I am stuck, because this product was cheap, 150, anything above that, like that one people are talking about that goes for over 300 dollars-- http://www.vaistech.com/sli.html
    is just too much money for me. I'm a student, so dishing out that much isn't easy.

Controlling the iPod from the steering wheel and/or touch screen/dash board controls isn't necessary (it's cool but if it means a lot of extra cash, then no thanks).

I want to just be able to hear good quality music from my iPod coming out of my car speakers.

The guy at Circuit City said that he has a product that is used for XM radios that is called an "FM modulator" if I heard correctly (made either by delphi or peripheral [or maybe something else completely different]. He said that it plugs into the headphone jack of the iPod and then into the dash and then plugs into or clips onto the antenna giving it "dibs" on any station it wants to transmit from (and better sound quality than those wireless radio transmitters). He says the sound will sound like any radio station that you would listen to without static because it is not competing for a signal, it just gets the signal before anything else because it goes right into the antenna. He says this is 50 dollars.

I have a feeling this topic has been beaten to death in this forum (connecting iPod to Prius), but I was having trouble finding the information I wanted. So I decided to post.

So what does anyone recommend. This "FM modulator"? Does anyone know if the quality will really be good? Or does anyone know of an alternative product that wont cost a TON. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

2. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

FM transmitters = FM modulator

They are the same thing. The best sound quality so far would be the VIAS products. They have a cheaper model just for AUX input but it uses the iPod's headphone jack insdead of the main connector. Also you would loose the charging ability and would need a seperate car charger plugged into the dash (or glovebox) outlet. If you're not in a hurry you can try to get into the 3rd group buy for the expensive adapter with all the controls. It cost me $240 and I love it.

3. BlackPrius05

BlackPrius05 New Member

Hey, thanks for the info.

What I'm thinking though is if I buy with a group or not, I am going to have to install it. Now I don't know how to take out the Prius radio equipment. Do you think I should do it myself or take it somewhere? Is it easy enough? What did you do?

4. BobR

BobR Member

There has been so much discussion on this topic I would suggest doing a search.
    If you have a CD Changer and still want to use it, the iPod2Car, Neo Dension, etc., won't work for you.
    I think a cassette adapter would be better than a FM Modulator.
    IMHO, the Vais Tech is the best product to integrate an iPod with the Prius.

Bob

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have never talked to someone who used an FM transmitter and was totally happy with the sound. i have talked to a few that were COMPLETELY p.o'd over the sound though

6. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I use the cassette adaptor (Sony seems to have the best one), and I like it fine without any hiss. If your music clips, it's most likely you have the volume too high, or if it's an mp3, the mp3 levels are too high. Use something like mp3gain (google it), and normalize your source mp3s down to at max -1.5db over, normally 0 over (max noclip gain) is fine.

For the iPod in the stock JBL system, Treble Cut or Lounge takes most of the harshness of the JBL sound out. Still doesn't beat getting the whole sound system fixed with better speakers/amps, or normalizing the JBL sound with Nero into a cdrw.

7. BlackPrius05

BlackPrius05 New Member

In case anyone is still reading this post...

I just came back form Circuit City. I purchased the wired FM modulator for 21 dollars. I had to tell the kid working the garage how to use the prius. I waited for about 10 minutes, and the manager came to speak to me. He said he can't touch the car because he doesn't want to mess anything up. He says that the car is like nothing he has ever seen and if he was to work on it he would basically be experimenting because he looked up manuals and there is no information on the prius. So I left empty handed... listening to the boring radio.

I was reffered to go to this car performance place and he told me he could put in the ICE-Link for the ipod and the product itself would cost 300 dollars, the holder, 100, and the labor about 200. I'm definetly not paying 600 bucks to LISTEN to my ipod in my car. The ipod itself is 299!

I'm running out of ideas here. The second guy said that an FM modulator he wouldn't even install because it sounds so crappy anyway.

I do not know what I can do. I am open to ANY suggestions that don't cost too much. I'm not cheap, it's just that after a certain point, listening in the car just isn't worth it.

8. BlackPrius05

BlackPrius05 New Member

Well I have the regular radio that came with the 05 prus, package 6... its got a 6 cd changer. That's all I really know...

I just tried a wireless FM transmitter from the apple store by Griffin and it was horrible.

They had no cassette adapters so I'm waiting for those to try one out.

I'll take a look at the ilounge site and see what I can find.

Hey BobR, btw, are you from New England?

9. BobR

BobR Member

OK, you have a package 6 and so have a Cassette player and CD Changer. The iPod2Car and the like emulate a CD Changer. If you try one of these, it will disable the changer in the car.
    I think the cassette adapter will be your best choice. Check ilounge.com for reviews of cassette adapters. You can get them at most consumer electronic stores; you don't need to get one from the Apple store.
    If the sound quality isn't good enough, you can try a line out adapter for the doc like this:
    http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/
    It should improve the sound quality.
    I'm in the Philadelphia area.

Good luck,
    Bob

10. BlackPrius05

BlackPrius05 New Member

Ultimately, keeping the 6 disc CD changer would be ideal. But If it must go, then so be it. I bought a cassette adapter already and it sounded like junk. I returned it.
    A woman at an apple store told me JBL should have released some sort of ipod to car integration product in october... I can't find anything on this, and since JBL make the speakers or stereo system of the prius (I think?), then this may be the solution. I'm going to be on the lookout for this. Though if anyone knows anything about this, please let me know.

Thanks for your help Bob

11. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I also have a #6 and use the cassette adapter to play MP3s with that. I admit, most of them are audio books, but it works well.

I have a Pioneer portable XM radio that has a built in FM transmitter. It also came with a cassette adapter and, according to the instructions, the sound is better using the adapter. In my area the FM transmitter works fine (YMMV), but I use the adapter when I'm in another area as there is too much interference.

12. beansbear

beansbear New Member

I've got the JBL system in my '05 and i've been using the AuxBox interface. It works great except in order to use the CD changer you have to power down the car. Other than that its really nice. I should have opted for the AuxPod but too late now... they dont sell just the iPod cable to make the AuxBox a AuxPod.

13. BobR

BobR Member

Having to power down the car to play a CD personally wouldn't qualify as "working great" to me. Maybe I just have high standards.

Bob