1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod and Sirius radio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Chef_Stan, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Chef_Stan

Chef_Stan New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just took delivery of an 2007 with premium audio that has the mp3 jack in the center console. The car didn't come with an owners manual. I have a few questions about audio integration.

1: Is there supposed to be a cord (male to male) from the iPod headphone jack into the port in the console? If so is this a Toyota dealer part or can you find it elseware?

2: I have a Sirius satellite head unit, it goes from the car then into a boom box or a home stero. I have hooked it up into my prior vehicle with an FM modulator. You unplug the antenna from the back of the radio, plug the modulator into the radio's antenna jack then plug the car antenna into the modulator.
    How difficult is it to get to the back of the radio to do this? What is the point of entry? I read something about taking out the glovebox.

3: Instead of using the FM modulator could I plug the audio output on the head unit into the MP3 jack in the center console?

Thanks
    Stan

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not supplied with the car. You can get one from any electronics store (e.g. Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc.)

3. guitarguy308

guitarguy308 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the cord for the ipod is just like the head phone jack type of cord it doesnt have to be special

it would be much easier if you have the type of sirus radio component to use the same cord for an ipod and plug it in to the mp3

4. Chef_Stan

Chef_Stan New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do have that kind of Sirius radio. The device that suction mounts to the windshield (what you dock the head unit to) has an 1/8" audio out jack. The model number is SP5. I think it was known as the sportster radio the head can plug into a varity of devices (boom boxes, home stero, etc).

With the 12v power source in the console I might keep the entire unit in the console. I work in a bad area so concealing it might be good.

5. guitarguy308

guitarguy308 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well yeah it sounds like the unit you have is portable so it would be a good idea to hide it. But if my thinking is correct the cord you need is a male male 1/8" audio cord. Im not sure if you will need mono or stereo my guess would be stereo but if you go to the shack they can tell you

6. FreydNot

FreydNot Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you want to save a few $$$ and don't mind waiting a few days for shipping, you should consider purchasing the cable from monoprice.com. Their prices are amazingly low and their quality is always great. I've bought HDMI, DVI, VGA and audio cables from them with no problem.

Here is a 3 foot "premium" cable that you need for $1.36:
    For only $1.12 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 3ft Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 3.5mm Stereo Male 22AWG Cable (Gold Plated) - Black | 3.5mm Audio M/M Cables

You can see the wide variety of 1/8 inch male to male cables here:
    Audio Cables - RCA & 3.5mm

I don't work for monoprice or have any stake in them. I'm just a satisfied customer who likes to spread the info around.

7. Chef_Stan

Chef_Stan New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    By using the 1/8" stero type of patch cord is there control of the iPod from the display or the steringwheel? In otherwords do I need a special cord to have the ability to control the iPod. Maybe control of the iPod is not possible but I thought that I readsomewhere that it was.

8. s3nfo

s3nfo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You can't get ipod display with the MP3 jack and control of the ipod is not possible through the MP3 jack. For full ipod integration you need a USB connection.

9. Chef_Stan

Chef_Stan New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How do you make a USB connection? Forgive me for asking a basic question but I didn't get an owners manual with my car.