1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod FM Transmitter for 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by newfer, Mar 19, 2011.

1. newfer

newfer New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey there.

Purchased two FM transmitters so I could listen to the iPod in my 2005 Prius as it doesn't have a USB port. The 1st one was horrible for static and the second one was better but not much better. The 'novelty' of ripping podcasts onto CD was wearing thin so the other week I did a search on the internet to see if there were other options available.

In the end I went down to Best Buy and purchased an iPod docking system that connects on the back on my stereo. Installation was just over an hour by the Geek Squad and the system works really good. Great sound, no static or interruptions by other drivers with FM transmitters on the same band. The iPod is kept in the glove compartment so all the wiring is not visible. The system also charges the iPod while driving too.

You'll find it on the Best Buy website if you are thinking about it yourself. It's called: Geek Squad iPod FM Transmitter

2. sktn77a

sktn77a Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Cool, sounds like a hard wired transmitter that transmits directly into the antenna wire (rather than over the air). They should work well.

Best Buy/Geek Squad are a bit of a crap shoot. Some stores seem to know what they are doing while some haven't got a clue. Caveat Emptor!

3. Toyotally04

Toyotally04 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which cigarette charger plugs would be convenient to place an FM transmitter?

I can only think of two cigarette charge ports: one far right under the glove compartment, and then inside the middle compartment between the front seats.

Both locations don't seem convenient to place an FM transmitter: the right one's out of arms reach; the compartment under one's right elbow would seem to shield the purpose of transmission.