1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ipod integration questions for a 2007 pkg. 1 prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by psycsnacha, Jun 14, 2008.

1. psycsnacha

psycsnacha New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello All,
    I imagine that the ipod integration topic has been discussed at length so I've done a ton of research (albeit, the best research that an amateur can do) on my own in order to reduce redundancy.

A few questions/concerns (any and all input is appreciated):

1. Does the Metra iPod Toyota Adapter work with a my '07 pkg one stereo?

2. The DICE and VIAS sound cool yet it seems that I would be confined to creating and using playlists of 99 songs or less (not ideal)

3. Is there any integration systems out there that will offer great sound quality as well as playback beyond playlists (allowing me to browse via my ipod or other display screen, by artist, genre, etc?

4. I read that Costal Tech is developing an ipod integration system that is supposed to do all of the above (allow for control on the touchscreen as well as the steering wheel) yet the same article said not to expect this any time soon (How to Hook up an iPod in a Prius - wikiHow) *Look at number 7 within the above link for a reference to that article.

Thanks for the input, I currently have an FM transmitter and it's a pain to say the least (I live in nyc; radio congestion x 100).

2. psycsnacha

psycsnacha New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Apologies, I meant 2008 prius

3. longrider

longrider soxfan

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Had a VAIS adapter installed by a local audio shop in my 07 a little over a month ago. Not sure I would do it again. I experienced a high pitched squeal that lasted about 3 seconds and ended with 3 beeps every time I powered up the car. Really annoying. Not sure if this was an install problem but I doubt it as it's basically a plug and play.

Other than the shriek at start -up, it worked well for month until it died last week. The stereo is no longer recognizing the I-Pod although it will still charge it.

To answer your question, if you want to see the tracks, artists and albums displayed then yes, you will need to use playlists. This is the "normal" operating mode" and in this mode there is a "VAIS Technologies" logo displayed on your I-Pod's screen. I never cared for playlists so I used what is called (I think) "simple" mode. This is achieved by pressing the scan button 3 or 4 times until you hear a beep. At this point you operate the I-Pod as you normally would while walking around with it. You can random play or whatever but you just won't be able to see anything on your car's display.

VAIS will only repair or send you a reconditioned unit if it fails within one year. No getting your $ back.
    At this point, I can A) learn how to disassemble my dash, unhook the VAIS, send it back and hope the replacement works longer this time. B) Pay a shop to uninstall and reinstall the replacement or C) go ahead an put a new deck in that has an I-Pod adapter built in from the factory.
    I'm most likely going to go the new deck route. As I said, the VAIS was great while it was working, but.............for $250 I was hoping for a little more that 60 days before it quit. Your results may vary.

VAIS is supposedly coming out with new firmware that will allow you to see tracks, artists, albums displayed in simple mode and I even bought the laptop adapter that would allow me to upload it but I don't know what the status if this is.

Good luck.

4. psycsnacha

psycsnacha New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the input.
    I was able to trade my pkg one in for a pkg three today.

What a difference that aux input makes....wow, why wouldn't Toyota just make that standard.

Best with your new VAIS adapter