1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ipod interface wars...Dice vs Vais...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by narf, Jun 21, 2006.

1. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I hope I'm not stepping on Danny's toes here since he is selling the Dice unit in the accessories store, but has anybody compared the two units? From what I can see here they are similar products, but with group buys on both the Vais is $209 and the Dice is $139. I've also read several reports of the Dice units locking up. Has that been solved? Any reason why I should spend $70 more on the Vais unit?

Thanks

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narf @ Jun 21 2006, 12:08 PM) [snapback]274679[/snapback]</div>
    The ice>Link Plus locks up many times on my 05. They promised a firmware upgrade that I'm still waiting for. I don't know about DICE. They are being sold by the same company, DICE is the newer product.

3. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Jun 21 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]274682[/snapback]</div>
    I thought Dice is just the new name for the Dennison ice>Link.. Dennison ice.....Dice.

4. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narf @ Jun 21 2006, 01:44 PM) [snapback]274740[/snapback]</div>
    really? :eek: I thought it's a new product! :unsure:
    From looking at their website's picture, the unit itself looks different tho.

5. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narf @ Jun 21 2006, 10:44 AM) [snapback]274740[/snapback]</div>

Actually no - They are two entirely different and seperate products.

6. dgstan

dgstan Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Jun 21 2006, 09:15 AM) [snapback]274682[/snapback]</div>
    FWIW, I've had the new DICE unit since they started the "beta testing". I have not had the unit lock up on me. I have tried by unplugging the IPod while running and other permutations. It has functioned flawlessly, once you get past some of the idiosyncrasies of the playlist/album/song structure. There is an issue with extraneous text on long song titles, but that certainly hasn't affected it's usability.

I went with the DICE because it was so much cheaper (VAIS wasn't offering a group buy until recently). VAIS' price pre-group-buy is something like $299. That's more than I paid for my IPod and more than double what I got the DICE for! I also was getting a little tired of VAIS stringing us along regarding a group buy. First it was November, then December, then "after Xmas", then wait a couple months, etc. I even wrote to Eugene to tell him that other companies were on the horizon, but it fell on deaf ears...

Of course, this all applies to my 2005. I don't know if DICE has gotten their issues cleared up with the '06 or if VAIS has addressed it.

DGStan

7. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dgstan @ Jun 21 2006, 11:54 AM) [snapback]274776[/snapback]</div>
    And then a VAIS group buy that came and went rather suddenly.

8. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Assuming we are talking about the latest product from VAIS and the latest product from DICE and they were both the same price which one should I buy and why. I have an 06 without nav but with the JBL/6 disc and a video ipod. Thanks.

9. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dgstan @ Jun 21 2006, 02:54 PM) [snapback]274776[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think VAIS was trying to string you along, but wanted to get the SLI to work with the 2006 Prius. It appears it isn't easy to work with the new generation of radios in the Toyota/Lexus vehicles. As far as I know, the DICE doesn't work with them. For the record, I posted the group buy on Prius Chat and Danny removed my post. This also caused a delay in the Group Buy.

So if you have a 2006, the VAIS SLI and SLX are working perfectly with it. They are also coming out with a cable that will allow for the firmware to user updated; I think this is a big deal and can't wait to get my cable.

I'm very happy with my SLI and SLX. I've never had to pull the power on my SLI or SLX. If my SLI ever gets funky, I switch to simple mode and back and it is 100% again.

In my personal opinion, you get what you pay for.
    When I bought my Prius the only vendor we had was Coastal E Tech. It is just great that we now have options.

10. dgstan

dgstan Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobR @ Jun 21 2006, 02:54 PM) [snapback]274885[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps "string along" is the wrong choice of words. However, I was working directly with Eugene and never once did he say anything about updating the product or making it compatible with the 2006 radio. It was always "building up inventory" or "wait until after the Xmas rush", or something along those lines. Had he accurately communicated what was going on, I would've understood.

Regardless, I certainly harbor no ill will toward VAIS. I'm sure they make a great product. In fact, I was a little disappointed when I heard about the group buy and the "I Agree" override. But at the time I ordered the DICE, my choices were getting the DICE at $127 shipped or the VAIS at $299+. I'm happy with my decision, and like I said, my DICE unit has worked great.

11. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dgstan @ Jun 21 2006, 11:54 AM) [snapback]274776[/snapback]</div>

They're working on it.

12. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Jun 21 2006, 03:32 PM) [snapback]274796[/snapback]</div>
    Since the DICE doesn't show any text on a 2006 Prius radio and the VAIS does, I would say it is safe to say the VAIS SLI would be the better choice.