1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod is a Bass Bandit?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by F8L, Nov 23, 2007.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I ran across this advertisment from Audio Control and found it interesting. For those of us that are using iPods as our main input device may be prematurely rolling off the lower bass frequencies (50hz). Obviously this is only really of interest to those using an amplifier and subwoofers.

Bass Bandit

To test this out I am going to take our Audio Control SA-3050a RTA (Real Time Analyzer) home for the weekend and see if I get the same results.

I'll post up my results as soon as I get them. Until then if anyone has any info they would like to add I'm all ears. :lol:

2. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  3. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I remember reading something awhile back that the output from the main earphone jack on the iPod has some equalization done to it. The output from the dock connector was supposedly flat.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Nov 23 2007, 01:44 PM) [snapback]543360[/snapback]</div>

I'll try both outputs. I only have RCA inputs into the RTA itself which means I may not be able to use the docking output straight into the RTA. I can; however, use the docking portion into my Kenwood eXcelon head unit and measure out of the head unit. If I have to go that route I will also compare those those reults with the headphone outputs going through the AUX portion of the Kenwood as well.

Any other things I should check?

This is all on the assumption I can find the pink-noise CD laying around here. LOL

5. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Nov 23 2007, 01:44 PM) [snapback]543360[/snapback]</div>
    Cuold you clarify what you mean by this? "inside iTunes"?

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not know but my Sony MP3 player played via the DICE's auxiliary input as a lot more bass than my iPod Nano through the DICE's iPod connector.

7. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Nov 23 2007, 03:34 PM) [snapback]543398[/snapback]</div>
    Ok makes sense. i thought that was what you might be refering to but I've never downloaded music like that and wasn't sure. So would you suggest uploading MP3s off my harddrive and trying both iTunes music and MP3s ripped in the standard way?

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I have done some testing and so far this is what I have: Test disc "The Digital Domain ~ A Demonstration"

#1 Test CD in Kenwood. Track 21 Pink Noise Left Channel only

#2 USB input Kenwood using Sandisc 4GB Flash Drive: Track 21 Pink Noise Left Channel Only

#3 iPod USB input Kenwood: Track 21 Pink Noise Left Channel Only

In all three tests the RTA displayed a very flat response with no major drop off from 20kHz to 38Hz. The Kenwood RCA output was connect directly to the RTA machine.

#2 consisted of track 21 uploaded in wave format onto the flash drive and played through the Kenwood stereo.

#3 The track 21 wave file was uploaded to the iPod via iTunes. From there I don't know what iTunes does to the music but the response stayed the same as the other formats.

Thus far I do not see the 50Hz roll-off Audio Control mentioned but I may not be doing the same tests they did so I will call them on Monday and get clarification. I did; however, notice that the USB input was lower in volume than normal CD input and required me to raise the volume from 27 to 32 during the pink noise testing.

I'm going to try testing the in car acoustics using the Audio Control microphone next. My battery died during the first phase of testing so I'm waiting for the recharge. :(