1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod options - more questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by knowledgeseeker, Oct 2, 2004.

1. knowledgeseeker

knowledgeseeker New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A great many installation questions were answered by the excellent installation guide posted by KaniS at
    http://priuschat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3224 .
    I'm still not clear on where or how the wire to the iPod routes out, but the guide is extraordinary.

I do have some remaining questions before I start placing orders for parts ... here goes:

(1) Is the Neo TOY-AUX truly identical to ("aka") the iPod2Car as suggested by KaniS' post? I thought the Neo did not offer head-unit control, while the iPod2Car does. Maybe it is the AUX-BOX that matches the Neo? And maybe the AUX-POD and iPod2Car are twins?

And even between the twins, perhaps the circuit box is the same but the interface cables and/or connectors to the 3G / 4G iPod differ? Does anyone know?

I know that the ICELINK offers its own cradle (which is said to scratch the iPod slightly). How does the ICELINK relate to the others? Is it an independent design?

Has anyone successfully used an AUX-POD / iPod2Car / ICELINK / whatever with the 2004-5 Prius and verified that the head-unit and steering wheel buttons work?

(2) I know this has been been discussed a lot, but please bear with me - where is the best place to mount the iPod? It might be nice to have it right in front of the driver so that the track playing might be readable. Maybe right above the steering column, on the dash below the speedo? It would not interfere with the airbag operation there. But it would also not be directly controllable. I know that there exist both wired (Apple) and wireless (navipod; see http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/navipod-review.html ) remote controllers but neither offers much (any?) more control than is offered by the fancier car interfaces. So one would need to be able to easily dismount it to select a new playlist etc. (hopefully not while in traffic ...). What do people think?

Where else might the iPod go? What brackets have people used? Any pix?

(3) [begin raving] If sufficiently capable remote control is available, the iPod might go in the glove box or elsewhere, under a video camera, and the circuit being developed by CoastalEtech used to show an image of the iPod's screen on the main Prius display. The wildest (and far harder) version would include an interface so that touching the screen actually controlled the iPod. Comments? [end raving]