1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod plugged into USB not recognized

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by blackpriusj, Sep 12, 2009.

1. blackpriusj

blackpriusj New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I plugged my iPod into the USB port in my 2010 prius and it started charging the iPod. Then I pressed the AUX button on the panel and nothing. Then I pressed AUDIO and the tab for AUX was un-pressable.

Why is this??

2. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    :confused:

When I plug in the USB connection to my ipod, the AUX is grayed out and the USB tab is selectable (and if I am using my iphone and have BT enabled, then the BT tab is selectable).

Are you using the AUX cable or the USB cable plug? Because if you are using a USB cable then the AUX tab would be grayed out...If you are using a USB cable then you would select the USB tab (hope that makes sense)

3. OvertheHill

OvertheHill New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I would have thought the AUX tab would only be visible if you are using a 3.5mm cable from the headphone socket rather than the iPod connector?

I noticed through Youtube that the iPod interface in the US shows up through the USB tab. You guys think your interface is bad? In the UK the USB/iPod kit is seemingly linked to the CD Changer input so it shows up as a CD changer and the interface is even worse - a disc is the equivalent of a playlist . It's absolutely appalling for something so expensive.

4. rayhertford

rayhertford Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Overthehill

I'm in the UK too, I'm really miffed that my T Sprit Prius doesn't have a USB or SD Card Slot. Does your Prius have the Audio Unit with the 10GB Hard Disk Drive built in? Completly useless as the only way to get music onto it is by ripping from an audio CD!! You can't copy MP3 files from a CDR disc and there is no USB or other interface to it. For such a hi tech car I can't believe Toyota can have been so stupid. I mean I download my music from iTunes I DON'T OWN THE AUDIO CD'S!!!!

There does seem to be a small Firewire port behind the flip navigation screen but I've read reports that you can't access nothing from it when you connect a PC to it.

Do you think the USA kit will work with the UK Hard Disc based audio unit? I've looked under the passenger and drivers seat and there is no "electronic box" as shown in the USA fitting instructions.

This is madness, is there anyone out there who can advise me, please?

Ray

5. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been having trouble with my ipod too.... have been meaning to post and ask if anyone else is having difficulty.

When I plug mine in, sometimes it recognizes it and sometimes it doesn't. Also, some times it will just glitch out and "stop seeing it" in the middle of using it.

I've also grown quite tired of having to replug it in every time I start the car. It does not recognize it unless I do. I'm really hoping this isn't a normal quirk and that there is something wrong with either my pod or the interface because that is just not even close to reasonable as expensiive as the system is.

6. jimmyhat1978

jimmyhat1978 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm hoping that some one can shed some light on this, because I am having the same issue when my Ipod is plugged in via the USB connection. Unless I unplug the Ipod after shut down, and plug it back in after start up the USB connection does not recognize the Ipod. I am running an Ipod nano with the latest update.

The Ipod registers that it is communicating with the car, but the Audio screen does not show the Ipod. It seems that the description in the manual and the user guides show that you should be able to get them to communicate as long as the Ipod is plugged into the USB port. Does anyone know what the fix is or proper operating procedure should be? I find it highly unlikely that the system was designed to require you to unplug and replug it back in every time you start the car. Even my old aftermarket player in my other car does not require that extra step to make it work.

7. jiminie

jiminie New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Try this:
    Before starting car, connect iPod to USB port and turn your iPod "ON" before starting your car. Then start your car.

See iPod connection problems, this forum.

My iPod is plugged into USB Port 24/7 and works fine using this method developed by ricopsuedo.

8. coloprius

coloprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Using a 1st generation ipod nano and currently having zero problems. It can be on or off and I can plug it in (to USB slot) before or after the car's on and it always connects. I'll count my lucky stars apparently and move on... :).

9. forty2

forty2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm having the same problem with my 4th gen iPod nano. I have found a work around although it's kind of annoying. If I switch from USB to FM(or anything else really) right before I turn the car off the iPod will work perfectly every time when I switch back to it after starting the car again.

10. forty2

forty2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've now had my new Prius for a week and have a little more to add to this topic now. My 6th gen Classic works just fine without needing any sort of workaround to have it be recognized everytime I get in the car. My Nano still does not work reliably. The interesting thing is that I have some older iPod accessories around the house(Bose radio, alarm clock, etc) and while all of them work with the Nano, none of them will charge it and the iPod displays a message that says "device does not support charging" immediately after being connected. The Classic works just fine and charges on all devices. I know Nano charges in the car but I'm willing to bet that Apple has changed in the connection protocol for the newer SSD units that is causing the problems.

So, is anyone having problems with a Classic, or is it all just Nano and Touch iPods that are the problem?