1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod reboots with AIC

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DaveinOlyWA, Dec 10, 2005.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    has anyone had to do a reboot more often on their iPod with the AIC?

when i first started, it happened once in a while. (never had it as a standalone so dont know the reliability of the unit) now its happened three times this week. it has been cold out and the ipod never leaves the car and i do have another iPod that has all podcasts on and some times i will be listening to that and so the other iPod may go a few days before being played.

i wonder if not using it for extended periods of time even as the Prius is turned on and off a few times would hurt it? doesnt seen plausible and i do notice the iPod in charge mode when using the other iPod in Aux mode.

wondering if i should take it in to have it checked before my VERY limited waranttee is gone... not really a hassle to reset, just worried that it will break for good. it did cost $400 and it took several days to load. (didnt really save any of the data on my Mac...simply couldnt justify the 60 GB of space. i did move some to a external drive...

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Dave. could you describe what you mean by "reboot"? I.e., is the iPod shutting down, or is the VAIS losing it's place and jumping to a different track -- or is it something else?

I'm not having "reboot" problems, but the VAIS does lose track on occasion (for me, not awful). I have a similar set-up to yours -- iPod (Nano) stays in car at all times, hooked to AIC-100i. (And, we both live in Washington state. :) )

3. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    what im referring to is when the iPod will not respond to the controls and you must go through the hard reset function by pressing the menu and select buttons at the same time

4. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would remove it from the Prius and try it not connected. Try it when it is cold like in your car and in the warm home. That would give you more info on which is the cause, the Vais or iPod.

Also, what iPod version do you have and what firmware is the Vais?

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    iPod version is the latest... unlike MS updates, i always install Apple updates right away...no paranoia with them like i have wid windoz

AIC version is...uh... hmm...well seeing as i was one of the first to get one, i'd have to say version 1.0 probably

i also have a mini (the other is the 60 GB non video version) and its needed a reset or two and i dont think that i ever needed to do it when it was connected to the AIC but its also connected to the AUX 90% of the time which is not powered (ya thats right, doesnt charge on that port)

6. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For version of the iPod I mean 4G Photo or 5G Video? If it is the 5G, there are known problems and you need to send it back to Vais for a firmware upgrade.

My email to Vais on the Video iPod:

Reply:

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

8. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whoops, missed that.

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well im gonna try a few things here to see if it helps. try playing it every day and also will try switching it over to the AUX port to see if that helps any...

its kinda funny really...only reason why i even care is that i wanted to see how long it would take me to go through all 1600 songs on my playlist. i think the highest ive made it was about 300...that time i took it out of the car to update the software and add a few songs to it. other than that, the highest ive gotten to was about 250 i think.

P.S. Jeff...

i wonder if the fact that your Nano is using flash memory verses mine that is using the mini hard drive... i do wonder about the cold sometimes. anything that spins will have bearing that will be affected by cold weather. etc.

10. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I have iPod Photo and did an update about 3 months ago. So whatever version that might be. I don't plan on ever updating the iPod software if it can be helped. So far I haven't had a single problem and I leave it in the car since the weather is cool (shhhh, don't tell crooks). But I've never used the Aux mode.

11. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

That might be it... If it gets too cold there may be condensation that could ruin the hard disk.

12. BobR

BobR Member

I have a 3G iPod and am constantly taking my iPod in and out of my car. Once in a while it seems like the iPod gets confused and there is no way get it back except to do a hard reboot of the iPod. If this happens while I'm driving, I can put the Vais in simple mode and keep going.

My AIC-100i originally had 3.31 firmware and sent it back to have it updated to 3.48. The turn around was very fast.

Bob

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

what was procedures, time frame and costs?

14. BobR

BobR Member

I sent an e-mail to Eugene asking if I could have it upgraded and he said to send it back.
    There was no cost on my part except the shipping to Vais.
    The whole thing took under a week.

Bob

15. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Thanks for clarifying, Dave. I can definitely say that I've never had that problem with my Nano -- either in the car w/the VAIS, or outside of the car. At worst, the VAIS will occasionally lose it's place in the Random order of my playlist if I shut down the car without switching off the stereo first; but that's about it.
    That's one of the reasons I went with the Nano -- I figured the lack of a hard drive would make it last longer.

On the other hand, I know people who use hard-drive based iPods who are literally brutal to them, and the things just continue to run.

Good luck -- I hope you find the solution! Please keep us updated.

16. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I've been thinking I'd wait ~6 months and see what things are fixed/improved in the firmware, and then get an upgrade. (Though I'm unsure if the new VAIS unit (forgot the name -- SSL?) uses the same firmware as the AIC-100i.)

17. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

My unit had v 3.48, but I have an ipod with video, so I sent it back last week for the firmware update. I'll be getting the AIC back tomorrow via UPS.