1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod remote control with AUX connection?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by chayashida, Jul 28, 2006.

1. chayashida

chayashida Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Prius. It has a nifty AUX connection in the center glove compartment. When I looked at the jack, it has an 1/8" headphone jack, but there is a small connector next to it.

I also have a 4th generation iPod. On it, there is also a small connector next to the headphone jack. Among other things, a remote control can use this connector. There's a remote control available from the Apple Store: Apple iPod Remote. The connector also looks like the one used by the PSP remote controller. (Does anyone know if they are compatible? I'll have to try it out.)

I was wondering if there was a way to use the controls on the steering wheel to control the iPod, but still be able to use the iPod's controls. I want to be able to access my Podcasts menu, instead of having to create playlists for all my podcasts. I don't think the iPod solutions for the Prius currently support that menu.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. I had a brief geek moment where I thought I'd engineer my own iPod-to-Prius cable, but I quit when I found out that newer iPods don't appear to have this connector.

Chris

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have a 2005, which doesn't have the AUX input, but there are several ways to connect the iPod to the Prius
    • 1/8" to 1/8" cable connecting from AUX In to headset.
    • Special 1/8" to Docking Port connector (for better sound).
    • VAIS for (operating via steering wheel).
    Doing a search on the last 2 can give more information. All three will work with the 2006, from cheapest to most expensive.

3. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

You can connect your iPod to the Aux Input using a cable, but you cannot control the playlist using anything other than the iPod.

There are several other options for connecting your iPod to the car and using the MFD to control the song, but not of them sound that good if you have the Aux Input.

Do some searching on PC and you will find the options.

Rock On, :)