1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ipod screenshots?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jedddelucia, Apr 7, 2007.

1. jedddelucia

jedddelucia New Member

I am having trouble figuring out how Ipods will interface with any of the Dock adapters. I have an '07 Package#2

The instructions on the Dice modual seem to suggest that iy only shows up on the radio. but I'm not even sure that my radio even has a screen.

Can anyone share screenshots of the navigation.

Ideally there is one where the ipod screen shows up on the car's screen and you can navigate using the touch screen. However, I imagine that is a bit of a fantasy.

so how does it work?

Also... it seem that there are three. the coastal tech (what's with this lock pick thing?), the Dice and the VaisTech. which one is better? Which one is simpler to install? which one gives you the most usability for navigation?

And finally... How does navigation work with the steering wheel controls only have a mode and a skip >> and << buttons?

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Take a look at the VIAS install instructions as it shows some of the screen shots.

I have the DICE for the 2005 and it uses the D1-D6 buttons on the MFD to select what you want to change and use the steering wheel buttons to change that. For example, if I select D1, then the steer wheel buttons change songs within a Playlist, while D2 changes Playlists. I believe the one for the 2007 is similar, but with something other than the CD buttons (on the 2005 it shows up as CD2).

[attachmentid=7355]

The DICE is cheaper than the VAIS, but I haven't heard any problems with the VAIS and the iPod. I used the VAIS instructions to install the DICE so they are similar in many ways.

Attached Files:

3. jedddelucia

jedddelucia New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Apr 7 2007, 05:20 PM) [snapback]419561[/snapback]</div>
    How do you see where you are? does the Ipod text show up?
    that seems very complex.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jedddelucia @ Apr 7 2007, 07:34 PM) [snapback]419620[/snapback]</div>
    thanks for the link. I think that I get it on the Vais. is it similar to the dice?

so From what I understand I'll need to completely create all new palylists. curently I have none. I just go by artist and album. But these won't work with the dock will they?

the only way is to have the Ipod controls still avtive. and then what is the point really? might as well just plug into the AUX jack

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    With the DICE, D1 changes within a Playlist, D2 changes Playlists and D3 changes Albums. When you're on D1 and press "Title," you see Artist, Title and Album on the MFD. The iPod's controls are still active so I can zip around if I need to. Generally I listen to one playlist during my commute so I don't need a lot of changing. Plus, some of the things I listen to are either Audio Books or old-time radio shows so there isn't much changing there either.

I have a 2005 so I don't have the AUX input; in fact, I got the iPod because of the DICE. Both the DICE and VAIS have an AUX input as well (toggle between using D5) and I have my portable XM radio plugged in there.

If all you have is one playlist, then the AUX input should be sufficient.

5. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think I'll be able to post pics of what it looks like a little later today.

6. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Apr 7 2007, 10:23 PM) [snapback]419658[/snapback]</div>
    I installed my DICE unit and don't even use it, the sound quality compared to the aux input is poor. Check this thread http://priuschat.com/Sound-quality-on-Dice-Unit-t31403.html

Do yourself a favor, just use the aux in port in your console.

7. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jedddelucia @ Apr 7 2007, 04:26 PM) [snapback]419516[/snapback]</div>
    Here is a link to the Vais SLI as a MD Changer.

http://homepage.mac.com/brusso/PriusRadio/PhotoAlbum45.html

8. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Apr 8 2007, 07:58 AM) [snapback]419788[/snapback]</div>
    My wife and I experienced the complete opposite. The sound through the AUX port is flat. It comes alive through the DICE unit. HUGE difference for the better with the DICE unit.

9. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Apr 8 2007, 07:58 AM) [snapback]419788[/snapback]</div>

I don't suppose you remember the part number of your radio when you pulled it out, do you?

10. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OlsonBW @ Apr 8 2007, 01:55 PM) [snapback]419838[/snapback]</div>
    This is what I don't understand, Vagabond agrees with me saying he too notices lesser sound quality using the dice compared to the aux in.

He has package #2 and so do I, .... having said that, I wonder if the 6 cd changer (pkg 3 and above) has anything to do with it or that you have a better quality radio.

11. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusFTW @ Apr 8 2007, 07:08 PM) [snapback]420032[/snapback]</div>
    No, I didn't say lesser sound quality. The range of sound can be too great for the stock head-unit to handle. The sound quality is too good or too much - and it's not just the DICE.

But anyway, there's still more to learn about the head-unit. Considering that some people have no problems with sound quality, and some do we need to see if the part is of different manufacture. But the proof is in the pudding, the same DICE unit sounds perfect in the 05 I have. Car companies have a history of using better parts in earlier years of the same car. Take my SVT Contour, in the 98 model it came with a separate clock and better stereo, but in the 99 they got rid of the clock and cheapened up the radio. All in the name of saving $3 per car sold.

And no, I don't think the 6 disc changer has anything to do with it since I tested things with a package 5.