1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod soulution summary

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by CrazyRussian, Apr 26, 2006.

1. CrazyRussian

CrazyRussian Junior Member

Guys,

I'm new to Prius and to PC forum but not to bulletin boards in general, so I did quuuuiiiiiiiiiet a bit of reading on the available options for connecting iPod to my new Pirus (2006 with 6 CD changer head unit; option 7) before posting this.
    As far as I can tell, there are only 3 options available for connecting iPod through the car stereo system using iPod onterface (jack on the bottom and not the headphones jack):

The iPod2Car - conrols iPod but no text; conflicts with CD changer; does not shut off the iPod when the car is off.
    The ice>Link - controls iPod with text; conflicts with CD changer
    The Vais SLI - controls iPod with text, does not conflict with CD changer; has limitaton of 99 songs in a playlist and 99 plalists.

Are there any other options?

The features important to me are: of course, audio throug the iPod interface and not throug the headphones jack; iPod control through steering wheel and MFD; artists, genre, songs... selecting, using steering wheel controls or MFD; album, artist, song text on MFD.

So, is the SoundLiq is the only option availble for Prii with the factory CD changer? Can the SoundLinq play "by Genre" more than 99 songs?

I know there are a LOT of experienced guys on this subject, what you guys would recommend?

Is there a group buy for the SoundLinq?

I would appreciate answers and opinions to any of my questions.

Thank you,

CR

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  3. CrazyRussian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaf709 @ Apr 26 2006, 01:57 PM) [snapback]245723[/snapback]</div>
    That's for the DICE solution wihich, from what I've read, conflicts with factory CD changer.

4. CrazyRussian

Well,

out of all iPod-to-Prius, or car in general, solutions there are none, in my opinion, that come close to a decent and resonable iPod integration: all use playlists with other limitations: CD or MD immulation, conflicts with head unit, lock ups, text not being displayed, slow response, limit on number of playlists or songs in a playlist..

After reading whole bunch of trheads and sites, I realized that it is pretty hard to simulate the iPod menu on a car MFD that many of us look for: to browse by song, title, artist, genre ...

Another observation that I've made is that many, after installing expensive solutions, still mount the iPod in sight in order to use its controls and display. I, persanelly, drive with consumption screen and dont realy need the text of the music, it would be nice, but I think many others also drive on the energy/consumption screen. Addionally, it is not good for iPod's hard drive nor its battery to be exposed to extreme heat temereatures (in Ariozna it gets really really hot really really quick - 115F outside is a norm and it's probably twice that inside a parked car), so, iPod needs to be taken out, and it would be a good time to charge it.

Well, based on all of the above, but still wanting a decent (line-out), unmodified, audio from an iPod in my car I decided to simply buy a Sendstation iPod cradle for $29 (http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/pocketdock/lineout-usb.html) , connect its line-out though 3.5 mm din to the AUX and use iPod controls. One, then, can use any cigarette lighter USB charger to plug into the UPB port of the Sendstation cradle and charge the iPod when necessary.

I appreciate the information I've found on this forum and hope mine will help someone too.

5. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CrazyRussian @ Apr 27 2006, 05:18 PM) [snapback]246287[/snapback]</div>
    It really isn't a limitation on the iPod interface manufactures, but a limitation on the radio in the Prius. Since the radio can only understand a certain number of devices, the interface manufactures are limited to these.

The 06 Prius was the first year that had an Aux-in. This isn't an option for earlier Prius owners.
    I wish I had an aux input in my 05 Prius. I might have done both XM and iPod differently.

6. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    "The iPod2Car - conrols iPod but no text; conflicts with CD changer; does not shut off the iPod when the car is off."

My ipod2car shuts off when the car is shut off. I can change tracks from the steering wheel just like a CD. All functions on the ipod itself are still operational. The ipod turns off as u cycle thru the devices, either from the mode button on the steering wheel or the buttons on the stereo itself (AM, FM1, FM2, CD, CD changer/ipod). The ipod charges while plugged in, always keeping the battery full (just like the Prius system!)

The sound quality is excellant, albeit a bit lower than the other devices. Not a big deal. Better than FM modulated.

No text on the Prius touchscreen. Would be neat, not not a big deal.
    Sometimes the ipod2car seems to lose it's 'memory' and won't respond to car controls, yet the ipod controls will always work. I just unplug it and plug it back in and all is well.

Next to the Prius, having my iPod in the Prius is awesome!

7. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finman @ May 2 2006, 04:29 PM) [snapback]248702[/snapback]</div>
    I would have been happy with the iPod2Car, but I couldn't live without XM Radio. It doesn't work with XM Radio, so if I wanted to use my iPod and XM Radio, I was pretty much forced to get the Vais.

8. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobR @ May 2 2006, 07:07 PM) [snapback]248785[/snapback]</div>

Yep, absolutely. Can't have ipod2car AND XM together (or the add-on changer). I had the add-on 6-disc changer and removed it, put it in my significant other's Prius. Now we're all happy!

Curt. :rolleyes:

9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    DICE will not conflict with the CD Changer and has full text capability, unlimited playlists, etc.

10. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ May 2 2006, 07:27 PM) [snapback]248797[/snapback]</div>
    Danny,

Have you seen the DICE in action?
    The ice>Link supported 6 playlists and only worked as a CD Changer.
    How are they getting around the CD Changer in the 04/05 Prius? Are they emulating an MD Changer like the Vais? The 06 Prius will understand two changers, so this isn't an issue.
    As far as I'm concerned, the more competition there is the better.

11. CrazyRussian

I received the Sandstation doc today and it's trully simple and wonderful product: the sound quality from an iPod to the AUX input is very very good. I would highly recomend this product. I will use this as a temp solution until I decide weather to get or not an integrated soulution. Meantime, I'm happy.