1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod static via AUX input

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by wistephens, Aug 31, 2007.

1. wistephens

wistephens New Member

All,

I just got my Prius Wednesday night :D

Today, I picked up a stereo input cable at Radio Shack for mu 1dt generation iPod Nano. Now I'm hearing static and what sounds like high pitched interference through the speakers as well as the right channel of sound dropping out.

If I pull the cable out of the iPod the static is gone.
    If I touch the tip of the cable to the iPod, lots of static
    I made sure that the cable was correctly seated in the jack.

anyone with similar issues?

Could it be interference from the iPod charger?

Thanks,
    Bill Stephens

2. hsamrat

hsamrat Junior Member

Yes, most likely it is. Look for a ground loop isolator from Radio shack or Crutchfield, this should fix that. Check if you hear the static when the charger is not plugged in.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill S. @ Aug 31 2007, 01:36 PM) [snapback]505055[/snapback]</div>

3. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rat @ Aug 31 2007, 03:03 PM) [snapback]505074[/snapback]</div>
    I too concur that a ground loop is most likely the cause of your issues. This is what I did and it works great:

Cut and paste from my earlier post to follow:

I also used the AUX cable for a while but I too got tired of constantly adjusting the volume control to properly drive the Prius head unit and more annoyingly having to constantly remember to charge my iPod.

I found using the line out (the fancy connector on the bottom of your iPod) is the way to go. Monster Cable sells a connector (I got mine at Circuit City) for about $25 to $30 that will both charge your iPod and utilize your line out connection. But the problem there is you will get a ground loop which will introduce some hum in the system. If you are not too discrete of a listener you may be able to live with it but I found a ground loop isolator (they are sold at Wal-mart in the car stereo section for about $12 bucks or so) does the job.

Just be aware when connecting the ground loop isolator (which uses RCA type connectors and that hooks up between your line out jack from the Monster Cable connector on your iPod and your Prius under the console AUX input jack) you will have to get a little creative with matching the "genders" of the RCA plugs to the 1/8" phono to RCA connectors (of which you will need two). Just go to the audio/visual rack (where all the VCR/DVD and TV hook up cables are) and you will find all the cables and connectors you will need.

BTW, the line output level produced by the iPod (which is not user adjustable; it is also not affected by the volume setting on the iPod) seems to be matched quite well with the Prius's head unit.

Rick
    #4 2006

4. DougSlug

DougSlug Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill S. @ Aug 31 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]505055[/snapback]</div>
    The static could be caused by a bad cable or connector at either end (a fault at the exit of the strain relief that causes an intermittent open or short to ground, or a poorly fitting connector, for instance). Since the car is new, I would suspect the RS cable or your iPod audio jack first. Try a different cable, if available, in order to rule it out.

I've noticed a whine when the unit is plugged into the charger, especially when braking. This is definitely an electrical system issue.

I use an adapter that gets the line out from the docking port on my nano, and I don't plug it into the charger while playing it. The result is pretty clean audio. This does make recharging at home when needed somewhat inconvenient, but in my case the drive time isn't extreme, so I can go a whole week between charges (2nd generation nano). I definitely recommend a docking port solution for the audio (volume adjustment on the nano is out of the picture--more convenient), but I'll have to defer the power/ground loop solution to other PC members.

- Doug