1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod/Stereo Woes -- Newbie Needs Advice!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Fowler, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Fowler

Fowler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey there, long time lurker, first time poster :)

I got my 05 Prius a few weeks ago, and I've been mulling various options to get my iPod connected to my Prius stereo. The VAIS AIC-100i seems to be the consensus choice around here, so I was pretty much set on that -- only a lack of availability stopped me ordering it.

Now, I live in Hong Kong. Our Prius is a little... lame... compared to the US one. There's no Bluetooth, no smart key, no navigation (small city + massive skyscrapers + tropical cloud cover = too much hassle for too little gain). So while it was disappointing, it wasn't exactly surprising when I took it to one of the local car modding shops on a whim to see what they could do, and they said that my stereo lacks any AUX, CD CHANGER or MD CHANGER ports on the back (like the ones the AIC-100i needs, right?). I checked with Crown Motors, the local Toyota dealer, and they don't have the model I need. That's the only stereo they supply.

So I basically have no idea what to do now, and I wanted to turn this over to the PriusChat Brain Trust to figure out my options.

My original thought was to slap a Mac Mini in there, but aside from being a massive job I also worry about how it'll affect the Prius' battery. And in terms of usability, I'd love to use the steering wheel buttons to control the computer, but I have absolutely no idea how to pull that off.

I was thinking about ordering the stereo I needed from Toyota in Japan or the US... but I'm not sure how that'd work or whether it even would work. Or whether the cost would be worth the benefit.

And then there's replacing it with a brand new stereo like Alpine's stereo or something. But if I do that, doesn't that make the screen and steering wheel controls useless? Or are there some replacement stereos that work with the screen and controls?

Thanks in advance for all your help, I look forward to your replies!

2. simple_in_seattle

simple_in_seattle New Member

It would be beneficial if you could take a picture of the front of your radio. If its the non-jbl radio that I have on my package 4, then the radio shop was lying to you.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think I would send them an Email. They are knowledgable and responsive. Right now they are doing a rework of the system, my guess it that they are responding to the Video iPod. Talk to them they appear to be good people.

4. igotthewantsforprius

hello out there, I am glad there r others up this late, nice to meet both of. I just ordered my 06 and was wondering if I got a good deal or was robbed. I paid 32,500 after tax, but didnt order the extended warrenty yet. I got the package 7 nav. and all but not the leather seats. I also got tinted windows and 5 peice mats. oh yea the 619 upgrade toyogaurd, I been looken online at the prices and they r alot lower then the dealers actually charge.

5. igotthewantsforprius

:p ok whats the problem, do I have bad breath, am I having a bad hair day? Nobody answers me. Am I even visable??????

6. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

The problem is probably that nobody really knows what you have. I'd suggest taking pictures of both the front and if you can, the back of your radio with connectors.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Well, you aren't asking anything relevent to this topic, let alone to this forum.

There is no package 7 nav for 2005. 2006 isn't quite out yet. In any case, 32K is several thousand over MSRP, even with tax, tag.

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

We can't know what radio you have in Hong-Kong. In NA, JBL or not, there should be a changer port.

Look in the back of the radio (or feel back there) and see if you find a currently unused socket in the radio. If not, you are out of luck.

9. bensonh

bensonh New Member

Fowler,

I am in the same situation in you. Live in HK and have nothing but static from the local guys. Crown Motors won't touch it since its not a Toyota approved install and the local car shops think we drive toys if its not a Benz or a BMW.

I took matters into my own hands and ordered kit from Australia called the connects2go. It basically sounded from my research like it does the same things as the ones here. Emailed the guy and he said it works on the Aussie Prius that is SUPPOSED to have teh same stereo we have. It include steering wheel controls and screen interface.

I have to go to Toyota tomorrow to do my software upgrade so will see if I can get them to plug it in while they have it just one more time... if not will give it a shot this weekend. Let you know how it goes.