1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod Transmitters?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by slowpoke, May 23, 2004.

1. slowpoke

slowpoke New Member

Okay, so I have one of those FM Transmitters, but it sounds like crap! :cussing: Are there any other alternatives? I was thinking of the tape type adaptors. Any luck with those?

thanks in advance!

2. falcinator

falcinator New Member

I bought an expensive $45 one at Best Buy and it too sucked. I ended up going with an old cassette adapter which works very well!

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ok, nobody told me that the iPod minis are on backorder.

My anniversary is next week and I waited until the Discover bill came so my wife wouldn't see the purchase until after she got it. However, nobody has any.

So I went to apple.com and ordered her a pink iPod Mini. Estemated time of delivery: 2 months. I'll miss the anniversary, but she will get it eventually.

I'm getting pretty good at waiting for things.

4. slowpoke

slowpoke New Member

Yeah, I'm leaning towards the cassette adaptor.

5. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i use the si-link fm transmitter. it's not too bad and definitely better than the other ones i had bought and returned. but i listen mostly to spoken word (comedy) not music, which is not as demanding

6. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    I was using a cassette adapter, but even that doesn't sound great. (Sony, and it's better than the cheapo ones I've tried, and way better than any FM transmitter.)

I finally gave up and burned a bunch of CDs from iTunes for the car. The MP3-->CD discs sound significantly better than iPod MP3s via a cassette adapter. (But then again all my MP3s are high-bitrate MP3s I encoded myself.)

If only I could get an aux input...

7. ny888

ny888 New Member

Same here, I'm using the Sony cassette adapter. Sound is ok but there is absolutely no bass.

I tried the FM transmitters but could never get a consistent and clear frequency here in the Bay Area.

I'll be very excited when Coastal Dave or Priusxm releases their Aux in mod.

8. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    FWIW, Coastal Dave has it listed on his website as a coming soon product.

That aux input would satisfy me. A plain aux wouldn't be as nice as having the iPod integrated into the system, but it definitely would be a LOT better than a cassette adapter and way beyond anything an FM transmitter could ever hope to provide. Hopefully the aux input won't cost too much, and hopefully we'll have it by the end of summer...

9. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

i use a nomad jukebox zen 40 gig player. hope coastal dave's input is not TOO 'locked in' to ipods... just a nice standard sized input that can be cabled to the 1/8" stereo headphones jack would be appropriate

10. Johno

Johno Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have one of the first ipods and it has been a fun little device. Recently it hasn't been sounding or acting great so I erased the disc through the restore feature in the ipod updater utility. Then I reloaded all my songs from iTunes. I then went into the ipod settings and set the equilizer to "rock". I must say it sounds a lot better. I am using a Sony cassette adapter after chucking the horrible one from Radio Shack. Big difference. Also, when I want more bass I turn up the volume on the ipod until I hear distortion and then I back off a little. I think there should be mini jacks on the front of most of these radios by now for mp3 devices. Why are the manufactures dragging their feet?

11. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

wonder if the 'foot dragging' is due to pressure from the record companies NOT to make it too easy and attractive for everybody to switch to mp3's, many of which are still being exchanged 'illegally'

12. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    His input sounds like just a standard input. That's all an iPod would need anyway.

Lots of manufacturers make units with aux inputs. Unfortunately, they're often aftermarket.

13. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

indeed i am aware, and that they are mostly in the aftermarket. maybe the automakers think they have more to lose if the music companies got their dander up?

i put a cd player that plays mp3's in my avanti... i would be quite happy if the prius had that. would not need an input for the ipod. i carry 6 discs in the avanti, all chock full of mp3's, and it's plenty.

also glad to know the ipod uses the same output as my jukebox. i was afraid it had some sort of proprietary thing that would make an input useless for anything other than an ipod.

i just did a 5 hour each way trip to lake george a couple of weeks ago, and i used my nomad and si-link transmitter all the way each way on a single charge.

14. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    The iPod's main connector is actually two parts.

One plug is a standard stereo mini-plug. This is all that is needed.

The second part is a proprietary plug that is situated right next to the stereo mini-plug. The propietary plug used for add-ons, like a remote or a voice recorder.

Then there's the port on the bottom for Firewire connections, etc.

Very flexible design.

15. Toyotally04

Toyotally04 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait... G2 Prius OEM 6 CD player can play mp3 files on CDr?