1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod Video hook up to Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Tigerops, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Tigerops

Tigerops New Member

Since Apple is coming out with their iPod Video in a few weeks I may wait on buying the VAIS 100i interface until I see if anyone has any ideas on playing videos on our iPods on the MFD.

Any ideas or input??

2. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

I would imagine it would behave much like the iPod nano, which has been tested with the VAIS 100i. It worked, so the new iPod should work as well.

3. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    what worked on the vais with the ipod nano? pictures?

4. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

For music, but Tigerops wants to play the video on the MFD. Will that work witht he AIC? If it does, that would be great.

5. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Then no. Pretty sure there's no chance it will play video to the MFD. No chance.

The VAIS interfaces with the stereo system as a MD player. That gives you text, but by it's very nature, no pics, no video.

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Ahh yes, that's right. I'll have to agree that the AIC would then NOT work for any sort of video from the iPod. Oh well. I guess I won't get to watch moves while I'm driving... :blink:

7. Tigerops

Tigerops New Member

This is true about the VAIS. What would an alternative way be to to hook up video inputs to our Prii while still using the steering wheel and MFD controls to control the iPod?

8. jayselle

jayselle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not gonna happen. There are several ways to get the video off the IPOD to display on the MFD, but you won't have control over the IPOD natively.

9. hybrideyes

hybrideyes New Member

You want the VAIS AVIC-100i. It's got the iPod controls of the AIC-100i with an uncontrolled audio/video input and a dedicated rearview camera input. Connect the dock connector to the iPod input on the adapter and use this cable to connect the A/V out from the iPod to the A/V input on the adapter.

Only catch is that it's $609, and there are no group buy discounts because it's such a specialized item.

10. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

But you would still have to choose between the iPod control screen and the video output...

11. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I was thinking the same thing. So you switch modes when you want to watch video or slide shows and the audio goes through RCA from the top of the iPod. Then switch back to the iPod controls mode with digital audio and MFD song text using the pin connector at the bottom of the iPod. I guess the reverse cam will automaticly interupt everything (except audio) when in reverse.

12. hybrideyes

hybrideyes New Member

Yeah, but that shouldn't be a big deal. You don't need to control the video while you're driving, RIGHT?

13. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

Yeah, no control when watching video or slideshows.

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the MFD's resolution is not good enough to display photos

15. Tigerops

Tigerops New Member

"the MFD's resolution is not good enough to display photos "

I was mostly going to watch music videos instead of just music. Or play DVDs for other people in the car, just like a normal DVD player. How bad IS the resolution in the 04' Prii? Is it even worth is to try to play the iPod Video's on the MFD?

16. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is what it would look like:

[​IMG]

17. Tigerops

Tigerops New Member

That's not bad at all! Maybe someone will make an interface that controls the iPod while allowing it to play video WITHOUT having to spend $600 like the AVIC.

18. rwithop

rwithop New Member

I have a video interface that will do that. The G-NET NavVideo I have for sale has two video inputs and leaves your CD-Changer port free, so you can have your iPod connected there. I just posted it here, if you are interested:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=1...view=getnewpost

Ryan

19. hybrideyes

hybrideyes New Member

But you'd still need an adapter to plug your iPod into the CD Changer port, and the only one that works (and controls the iPod) is the AIC-100i. Get the AVIC-100i and you'll have everything in one adapter.

20. rwithop

rwithop New Member

Yes. I have heard people have a good experience with that product as well.

The G-NET works well and let's people with the iPod2Car or AUX2Car or existing CD-Changer have a video input for other purposes like a carputer, DVD, or backup camera.