1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod video out feature for browsing music

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ranmandx, Sep 12, 2007.

1. ranmandx

ranmandx Junior Member

Alright i'm thinkng of buying the new iPod to replace my old 15gb 3g ipod. I'm not fully impressed with all of these ipod kits for cars and such and don't feel they match the navigation capabilities of the ipod itself. What i was wondering is if the video out feature of the ipods actually works for the whole interface on the ipod such as browsing the music etc...

I must say if this does indeed work i will modify my car with the coastel tech mod and buy a replacement armrest and set the ipod in there somehow where i can control it easily and see the results on the mfd.

2. ranmandx

ranmandx Junior Member

Alright i'm thinkng of buying the new iPod to replace my old 15gb 3g ipod. I'm not fully impressed with all of these ipod kits for cars and such and don't feel they match the navigation capabilities of the ipod itself. What i was wondering is if the video out feature of the ipods actually works for the whole interface on the ipod such as browsing the music etc...

I must say if this does indeed work i will modify my car with the coastel tech mod and buy a replacement armrest and set the ipod in there somehow where i can control it easily and see the results on the mfd.

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Coastal Tech makes something that will sorta do this, but it's kinda crappy. That's the only thing that's like what you're trying to do.

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Coastal Tech makes something that will sorta do this, but it's kinda crappy. That's the only thing that's like what you're trying to do.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A Best Buy audio person (who used to work at an audio company) suggested this unit to me. Now it is a few years old (I asked him in 2005) so there might be an updated version of this unit but at least it gives you some ground to start searching.

JVC model no.: KDAV 6160.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A Best Buy audio person (who used to work at an audio company) suggested this unit to me. Now it is a few years old (I asked him in 2005) so there might be an updated version of this unit but at least it gives you some ground to start searching.

JVC model no.: KDAV 6160.

7. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 12 2007, 01:03 PM) [snapback]511496[/snapback]</div>

That's just a A/V input - he wants to browse the iPod using the same menu that's displayed on the iPod.

8. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 12 2007, 01:03 PM) [snapback]511496[/snapback]</div>

That's just a A/V input - he wants to browse the iPod using the same menu that's displayed on the iPod.

9. ranmandx

ranmandx Junior Member

Exactly and still use the iPod controls but just see the display on the iPod mirrored on the MFD.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Sep 12 2007, 04:20 PM) [snapback]511512[/snapback]</div>

10. ranmandx

ranmandx Junior Member

Exactly and still use the iPod controls but just see the display on the iPod mirrored on the MFD.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Sep 12 2007, 04:20 PM) [snapback]511512[/snapback]</div>

11. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Unfortunately it does not work on the iPods. At least up the new versions for which I have not heard confirmation either way.

I have been satisfied with using the touch interface of the iPhone near the center column.

I can't believe I am saying this but, the Zune does display album art and song info on its video output.

12. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Unfortunately it does not work on the iPods. At least up the new versions for which I have not heard confirmation either way.

I have been satisfied with using the touch interface of the iPhone near the center column.

I can't believe I am saying this but, the Zune does display album art and song info on its video output.