1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IPOD: What do I need?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by BellaHMB, Jul 18, 2007.

1. BellaHMB

BellaHMB New Member

Hi everyone,

Ive tried sorting this through by reading but..?

What do I need to buy to hook up my IPOD
    to my new 2007 Prius?

Victoria

2. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BellaHMB @ Jul 18 2007, 05:45 PM) [snapback]481318[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Victoria,

Did you try the "DICE iPod Integration Units - Info Here! - Buy Here!" links at the top of this page?

Paul.

(My wife's name is also Victoria :) )

3. pixeltaker

pixeltaker Junior Member

At the minimun, you just need a stereo cable (usually called a miniphone to miniphone) to plug one end into your ipod and the other into your AUX input in your center armrest. Then set the audio mode of the car to AUX and use your ipod's click wheel to maneuver your playlists.

Search ebay for "ipod prius" and you'll see the cable. You can also get them at Radio Shack or other electronics stores.

Other devices such as the DICE unit plug into your radio and allow on screen display of you ipod's songs.

4. BellaHMB

BellaHMB New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pixeltaker @ Jul 18 2007, 08:48 PM) [snapback]481340[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, you need the DICE unit to allow for onscreen ipod songs then. What about my ipod travel unit that allowed me to plug it into the cigarette lighter in my bmw? Might be the same thing?

Victoria

5. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Control your ipod through the steering wheel, or on the Prius display---DICE.
    Run your ipod audio through the AUX jack inside the armrest---just a 1/8" male-male stereo cable.
    Other options include using an ipod FM transmittor that you plug into the ipod, then tune your radio to an empty FM station... those generally have the worst audio results, of the 3 options listed here.
    If you use the AUX jack in the armrest, and power the ipod via the cigarette outlet, I recommend you add a ground loop noise filter accessory, too. Made a world of difference in my AUX setup's audio quality, by eliminating the power hum & whine I'd hear, because of using the AC power outlet.

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Option 2A: Get a Belkin iPod Auto kit. You plug it into the power outlet in the console, run the audio cable from the Belkin unit to the AUX input, and plug in your iPod to the dock connector. Now your iPod charges and the headphone jack is bypassed so you get better audio into the car's system. You can also adjust the level so there aren't abrupt changes in sound volume when switching from radio to AUX. Also, no ground hum isolation needed.

7. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jul 19 2007, 01:16 AM) [snapback]481424[/snapback]</div>
    I think the radio has independent volume settings for radio, CD and aux inputs anyway, (and for BT etc if fitted) so it's possible to equalize volume settings even without that feature of the Belkin unit, but it takes the audio feed from the dock connector rather than headphone socket, the quality is better and the noise-level lower so all round it's a good solution - and a lot cheaper than a DICE, VAIS etc. Plus unlike those units where you have issues with either the number of playlists they can handle or the naming of them, it leaves control via the iPod. Of course, it would be nice to have use of the steering wheel controls and the iPod display on the MFD, but so far, the compromises made to achieve this are too limiting for my taste and at the $150 price tag!

8. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZA_Andy @ Jul 19 2007, 05:37 AM) [snapback]481513[/snapback]</div>
    On the DICE the iPod remains fully unlocked at all times while still retaining text and headunit control.

9. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Jul 19 2007, 09:49 AM) [snapback]481551[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but didn't you also note that all playlists appear on the display with the name 'playlist' - which for a user with hundreds of playlists to navigate might be just a little inconvenient and awkward?!

10. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jul 19 2007, 01:16 AM) [snapback]481424[/snapback]</div>
    I looked at this product on the Belkin site, using the link provided, and I don't see anything that would plug into the AUX jack by looking at the picture...? Is there more to what comes in this "kit" than what is pictured?

The Belkin description says: "The Auto Kit also provides an adjustable amplifier and 3.5mm audio-out jack that lets you play your iPod through your car stereo or other audio equipment when using a Belkin TuneCast Mobile FM Transmitter or Cassette Adapter."

But I wanted to confirm that this will work WITHOUT the cassette or FM adapter thingies, too, right? I just want to use the AUX jack.