1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

iPod with 2010 base model head unit

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by slowmachine, Apr 15, 2010.

1. slowmachine

slowmachine Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it possible to control an iPod using the base model stereo head unit?

I've read every thread that I can find, here and elsewhere on the intertubes, on iPod connection and control. Most of the discussion revolves around Nav-equipped models, incompatibility with XM, and USB ports. I have none of these. My center console has 12v power and AUX jack that looks like a headphone connector. The only official Toyota part that I see connects through the glovebox.

If this is possible, please point me to the right parts. Instructions are a bonus.

Mike

Oops. Should have posted this in Audio & Electronics. Mods, please move if you want to.

2. eric1234

eric1234 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I believe (from the other research I've done - not personal experience) that the $200 Toyota Cable offered for sale on PriusChat Shop - which does go through the glove box WILL work with your Non-JBL / Non-Nav Head Unit. (But will not work with my JBL / Non-Nav Head Unit).

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can plug it into the mini-stereo jack inside the center console towards the rear.

4. slowmachine

slowmachine Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think this enables control of the iPod through the radio controls. I'm hoping to make that work so I don't have to fiddle with the iPod itself while I'm driving. I think I'm going to need the Toyota iPod cable, but I'm not excited about putting the iPod in the glovebox. My son thinks that I may be able to route an iPod extension cable to the center console from wherever the Toyota cable terminates.

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    SlowMachine,

You can use the Liquid Aux (<$50) to play, pause, previous, next). The remote sits on the steering wheel. It plugs into power and aux.

Otherwise I would suggest you replace the head unit. I think AJC did one of the cheaper options. The Toyota kit can be routed to the console, but others have said its operation really is not very good. If you replace the head unit you will get better sound and better ipod connectivity than the base radio and cable.