1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

IR sensor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Robert Fisher, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Robert Fisher

Robert Fisher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [attachmentid=7297]

I just mounted (installed) a sensor that will warn me when I am about to hit the garage wall. Please think what you will, but I can't gauge the distance from the front bumper and the pending object to be hit. This contraption will warn me when I am 5 feet from the wall with a series of beeps. When I am 3 feet from the object it starts screaming (with beeps) at me. JCA, this is a spectacular front end saver!

Attached Files:

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That's pretty good. I'm looking into something similar. How much was it?

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fish @ Apr 6 2007, 02:58 PM) [snapback]418941[/snapback]</div>
    Do you mean inch? Feet seems pretty far.

4. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

Seems to me a simple cardboard box in the garage is a much cheaper and just as effective solution. When you see the box start to crumple, you're there.

5. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Apr 6 2007, 04:32 PM) [snapback]419001[/snapback]</div>
    Even better is a tennis ball suspended from a string. You locate it such that when you tap with the ball with your windshield, you're there.

6. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd be concerned that someone would back into it in a parking lot. Otherwise, sound good to me. I invented a simple fix for the same problem, although probably not as accurate. I mounted a fake cell phone antenna on the top of the license plate holder. The tip sticks up just high enough to be visible from the driver's seat. At least it gives me some idea where the front of the car is.

7. Robert Fisher

Robert Fisher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wow, more inputs than expected.

I am in a quandary where to begin..... "Fake cell phone antenna on the top of the license plate holder" is truly a stroke of genius thinking. The problems in the parking lot, are situations under someone else’s control.

The "tennis ball" is somewhat archaic but extreamly viable. I employed this approach, years ago and the woman would always be complaining about it. Women have a leaning toward complaining.

The critique relative to "Do you mean inch? Feet seem pretty far." It is in feet and when 2 feet from the wall/object it sends its second warning. I am a person that has endures over 75 years on this planet and I need all the warning I can “git†prior to an event that I don’t need. The unit is adjustable to the one inch distance, but in my case that would be much to late!

My garage looks like a "house of defecation" to start off with and the "cardboard box" would only add to the situation. Slovenisim is a way of life.

I purchased it via the net,

http://www.opticsplanet.net/atnaut20bacs.html

and with the assistance of my credit card I paid $29.95 for the unit.

These type of purchases, seemingly expensive, are deductions from the yet to be received pending inheritance of my heirs. One of my few pleasures.

Thanks to all for the thoughts.

8. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fish @ Apr 6 2007, 08:23 PM) [snapback]419110[/snapback]</div>

Or fit in...

9. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fish @ Apr 6 2007, 07:23 PM) [snapback]419110[/snapback]</div>
    Eloquently stated.

10. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fish @ Apr 6 2007, 12:58 PM) [snapback]418941[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like a neat accessory, though as others have suggested, you are a little at the mercy of other careless parking lot-impaired drivers, not to mention theft. <_<

I use a pretty simple device in my garage that requires no installation whatsoever (on the car or otherwise), and is 33% cheaper than your beeper. ;)

ProPark

It takes the guessing out of garage parking, as you park in the exact same spot every time. This product (and others like it) are sold at many hardware and/or department stores.

I do concede that your solutions is more suited to the geeky nature of the Prius, though. B)

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would've mounted that on the rear licence plate and use the fake antenna in the front. I wouldn't risk having some SUV back into the front licence plate and damaging the sensors.

Heck, I already have had someone hit my rear bumper and left two screw marks. Naturally, no piece of paper.

12. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 13 2007, 07:58 PM) [snapback]423054[/snapback]</div>
    That happened to me as well... a mere TWO DAYS after I got my car. <_<

13. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fish @ Apr 6 2007, 04:23 PM) [snapback]419110[/snapback]</div>
    This is one of the greatest things I have ever seen in wiriting. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Apr 13 2007, 07:01 PM) [snapback]423080[/snapback]</div>
    I remember lol. I think it was at the Futureshop lot?

15. mystrysolver

mystrysolver New Member

Seems to me a simple cardboard box in the garage is a much cheaper and just as effective solution. When you see the box start to crumple, you're there.

Even better is a tennis ball suspended from a string. You locate it such that when you tap with the ball with your windshield, you're there.

I use a 2x4 laying on the garage floor that I can feel when the tires bump it (make sure it doesn't have any nails).

And the sound of crunching metal could serve the same purpose as all that beeping and screaming.

Do we really need all this sophisticated high-tech gadgetry? :p

I long for the good old days! :unsure:

16. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 15 2007, 01:05 AM) [snapback]423518[/snapback]</div>
    Good memory, Tideland... you are close!

The Futureshop incident was a bit later when someone almost too my rear bumper off and didn't leave a note. That was in July. Prior to that (and I don't think I posted it here), someone had bumped my rear bumper and put the "tattoo" on her about two days after I got the car, in April. <_<

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Apr 15 2007, 08:05 AM) [snapback]423601[/snapback]</div>
    ahh.. so I remembered the wrong incident haha.

yeah.. our previous 2 Corollas had more than one set of screwhead marks.. some even had the corner of the licence plate frame :blink: I was beginning to think Corollas were a target for front licence plates lol.

18. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use a 2x4 laying on the garage floor that I can feel when the tires bump it (make sure it doesn't have any nails).

I would be careful with cardboard boxes, my dad bumped a stack of empty boxes in the garage with a 26 ft. enclosed trailer and one of the boxes popped some rivets on a side panel, scuffed up the paint pretty bad and ripped off a side marker light (and the box survived).