1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Iran Capable of Making a Nuclear Bomb within 16 days

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by malorn, Apr 13, 2006.

1. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  2. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Another report I read in the news stated that it would take Iran months to be capable of making nuclear weapon

let's not be an "Attention Deficit Democracy" and recall the exaggerations and lies we were told to support the Iraq war - WMD's ARE IMMINENT - GRAVE DANGER, LINKS TO AL QAYDA, etc

I don't mean to say blow off any threat, but this smells similar to the Iraq scheme

fear is a powerful tool if used properly

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I'm not sure about this one... I've been reading that various think tank groups estimate they are far more than two weeks away in this respect... I forgot whether it was in months or years, but surely not days....

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is this like taking all the guns off the street so that only criminals have guns?

Maybe if we make bombs illegal, there will be no bombings.
    Maybe if we make physical abuse illegal, there will be no beatings.
    Maybe if we make discrimination illegal, there will be no unjust treatment.

The fact of the matter is that if Iran wants to build a bomb, they will. Somehow.
    If terrorists want to build bombs and blow people up, they will. Somehow.

And the more we tell them that we can't, the more they will want to prove us wrong AND try to make us stop dictating what they can and can't do.

And what happens if Iran and all other countries decide that they don't need nuclear fuel? Do they run on oil, coal, LNG, and other fossil fuels until they run out? Then what? If you're going to say Geothermal, I'm going to say that much more development is needed in those fields to make it feasible.

I simply do not believe that it's feasible to stop countries from developing energy plans.

5. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We need to go into Iran NOW. Unfortunately we went into Iraq instead, and now are stuck there, and have no troops for an Iran invasion. The president of Iran is one of the former hostage takers and a terrorist. We would be prepared to go in if it weren't for the mess in Iraq.

Hell, maybe Saddam would have helped us invade Iran. He hates them more than anything.

Nate

6. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK. How do you reconcile the original post with this story in the NY Times saying that it'll be years before Iran could be "nucular" (to quote our fine President).

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Apr 13 2006, 12:14 PM) [snapback]239138[/snapback]</div>

As the proud owner of a Prius, I can not wait for Iran to declare it has a nuke. Imagine what the price of oil will be 1 minute after they go public with that one - $100/barrel easy. Gas would go to $4.50/gallon and then no where but up thereafter.

Then when they threaten to shut the straits by exploding the bomb in a humanitarian effort to save lives and just attack the West economically - $200/barrel no problem.

With a little luck Russia and France and Germany send them a few more centrifuges to speed up the timetable.

David

8. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Oil's grip on politics is immense... The closer we are to the end of the oil age the better things will become, as long as renewables can be adopted.

9. finally_got_one

finally_got_one New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Apr 13 2006, 10:36 AM) [snapback]239207[/snapback]</div>

Well, it may be years before Iran has a nuclear weapon, but if they have the technology to make weapons grade Uranium, that is all they really need in order to supply terrorists with a dirty bomb. On the other hand, I am sure that Iran would like to get rid of Israel...

10. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Then again, to be fair and balanced, I don't think anyone knows for sure... Who's to say they haven't had a successful clandestine operation going all along....

11. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 13 2006, 12:41 PM) [snapback]239211[/snapback]</div>
    Are you seriously so dense as to think that the price of oil only affects the price of gas?

Do you have any clue at all what $200/bbl would do to the world economy? Can you be so cruel as to hope for that?

THINK, then post. You own a Prius, not a Pious.

12. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Apr 13 2006, 12:41 PM) [snapback]239211[/snapback]</div>
    That is probably the most self-absorbed post I have ever seen on PC. If your scenario played out do you really think you would have the inclination, time, money, safety to even drive your Prius?

13. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Don't take others' responses to your post to heart... it's very easy to become frustrated about the whole oil situation and global warming. The sooner oil prices surge, the more likely people will change their ways more quickly... no one can deny that part. I know you never meant to take pride in people getting (economically and whatnot...) hurt by such a situation, but it is still true that people aren't likely to change their ways until there is pain in regards to oil prices and our addiction to it.

But even President Bush, who admitted being an oil man (as a kind of joke in his speech)... is pushing the way for Plug-ins and AFV's.

14. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From a US State Department Official. <_< Just like Iraq had WMD, right! :lol: Seems like the administration is at it again. :angry:

15. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brasche @ Apr 13 2006, 10:01 PM) [snapback]239587[/snapback]</div>

Thats the point I was going to make..... there are so many people claiming it was an error to go to Iraq that those same fingers would point and say that going to Iran is a equal or greater mistake.

That crowd is the crowd that will not deal with problems until they are manifest and then you have to wipe up the mess and aftermath.
    Dealing with a nuke is no joke.

Many will forever refuse to admit there is a danger until the danger hits.. they cannot and will not see in advance and act proactively for fear paralyses them.

I estimate that we are in very very close communication with Israel as well as other key countries in those areas and if Iran even hints about taking out Israel again, Israel should protect themselves with a first strike.

Unfortunately, waiting till someone lobes a nuke your way when they are only a short distance away, gives you little time to shoot it out of the sky and take evasive action.
    A first-strike is almost their only defense for a nuke threat.

How does a terrorist gain respect and work in harmony with the world when they have a nuke?

Do we "let" gangsters and outlaws have guns legally?

Then why do we let terrorists have nukes legally?

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's isn't Iran we should be worried about. (and I heard it will take them until the next decade, at least after 2010.)

It's North Korea. While our attention is being misdirected to the MidEast...North Korea will have a bomb a lot sooner than Iran. Just because they don't have oil doesn't mean they aren't as much of a threat.

17. emizzion

emizzion New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Apr 13 2006, 06:14 PM) [snapback]239138[/snapback]</div>
    Can the world live with a nuclear US?? And could the US please deal with the mess they have created in Iraq before "moving to the next country in line"

18. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

Why should we always be the one to "to something?"

It's our country's meddling that gets us into these problems in the first place!

19. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windstrings @ Apr 14 2006, 01:43 AM) [snapback]239601[/snapback]</div>
    How do you destroy the most powerful economic nation in the world? Economically of course. While we're spending our resources on guns, the rest of the world is making butter. 10 years from now, Asia will be laughing at the US for being so easilly distracted and pre-occupied. Forget nukes, they're already using the most powerful weapon, ourselves. We ARE the kings of Spain.

20. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 13 2006, 11:19 PM) [snapback]239609[/snapback]</div>

I know we here on the forum are real energy minded, but I don't think oil is the big picture about war, its personality, character, and trust. Those are things our security is based on... not whether someone has oil or not. We are not pirates that go seeking ships with oil to steal. Iraq still has thier oil even!.... which I personally think they should fund the war with, since we used our own blood to save them so they would have a fighting chance to be free.

But nevertheless, some countrys have nukes and it doesn't bother us because of trust and they have a good track record with the world.

North Korea is a worthy foe, but they have principles and character, whether we agree with them or not, but they are fairly predictable because we feel we "know" them therefore our security with them can be measured.

They are not our favorite to get nukes, but they are far less likely to go around taking advantage of surrounding countries as may Iran.

I can believe NorthKorea would use thiers only as a "defensive" weapon far far more than Iran.

It's kinda like having two sons the same age... one you would give your car keys to your new car, the other you wouldn't.

How "responsible" a nation is makes a big difference and how well they can the protect and keep thier nuke from others stealing it and or sharing it is another consideration.

Will they sell it or use it to fund terrorism is another? What about suitcase nukes to teach someone a lesson?.... I wouldn't put that past Iran!.... the suitcase goes off far away from thier own country and doesn't affect the whole world but strikes terror.

Make enough for several bombs, then do a suitcase nuke and threaten to use the rest on a real bomb and blackmail the world..... nice James Bond story.. but possibly true.

The world is a very scary place with nukes period.. you can't just let anyone have them.