1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Iran has Speeded Up Nuclear Projects

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Feb 23, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    According to the United Nations Iran has accelerated its nuclear program totally disregarding the UN's call on them to stop enriching uranium - here is one link - there are many.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/1c686410-c2a8-11db...00779e2340.html

So, for all you UN lovers - what should be done by the UN? And if Iran continues to ignore the UN what should the US or other countries do if anything?

2. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Why don't you use your best skill, and tell us what YOU think they should do?

I'll have a guess at your opinion though: Bomb the s**t out of them, rape their young girls and kill their families, and like this guy who's eligible for parole in 10 years, let the people who rape and murder get by with relatively light jail sentences. And then sit around and complain that they have no reason to distrust us and they should welcome our bombs with open arms. Because there's clearly no option but excessive force. None.

P.S. This post is sarcastic because I'm preempting discourse, which would have become impossible in this thread sooner or later anyway.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Feb 23 2007, 08:27 AM) [snapback]395110[/snapback]</div>
    My thoughts:
    1. this will prove again to the total uselessness of the UN - especially in regards to the containment of nuclear weapons technology spreading out across the globe - and especially into the hands that most people agree should not have it.
    1a. given the above - it will continue to amaze me that there are people that will continue to put their full faith into the UN and even at times wishing it take precident in controlling decisions concerning US vital interests
    2. I would do the following in preventing them from acquiring nuclear weapons:
    - continue and strengthen the economic sanctions against iran
    - attempt to keep oil prices down preventing them from acquiring the money needed to finance this project
    - pressure iran via foreign policy moves against hezbollah, and other groups connected to it
    - in terms of military force - NO BOOTS ON THE GROUND - i would if forced to, use air assets including stealth craft, cruise missiles and the like and destroy their nuclear facilities completely. I might consider at the same time eliminating their air force and other "strategic military assets".

got to go do a procedure.....

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    How would you "keep oil prices down"? In what way can the US lower the global price of crude oil? Please, i'm very interested in your response to this.

PS. Bombing a foreign country without UN sanction is a pretty damn stupid move - we already wasted all of our diplomatic credit with Iraq

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Feb 23 2007, 09:53 AM) [snapback]395144[/snapback]</div>
    i would be interested in your opinion concerning this topic. by the looks of it you would allow the UN to fail again to control the spread of nuclear weapons - this time letting a madman get his hands on them (fairly destabalizing - including to the price of oil)

ans: Saudi Arabia has a vested interest in not allowing either US troops to leave Iraq/the region and not allowing Iran to get its hands on nukes. they are/will increase output of oil and the US will induce other oil producing nations to do the same cause a supply and demand equation to kick into effect. we can also decrease the speed at which we are buying oil on the open market to fill our strategic reserve again leaving more oil on the table and forcing prices down.

we also will increase pressure on iran in its financial support of its allies like hezbollah - i would not be surprised to see a limited conflict between them and Israel in the short term future. iran will be forced like it is doing now to spend hundreds of millions of dollars rearming them from the last conflict last summer and rebuilding parts of lebanon not to mention keeping them up and running. other terror groups will have the same pressure applied to them.

bombing nuclear facilities is far less "stupid" than letting iran go nuclear. for you i would even give them a fair warning that destruction is on the way - give them a date for instance June 1, 2007 and say that any time after that we retain the right to destroy said nuclear facilities and those people that are in them are there at there own risk. i would obviously initiate military actions at night for lots of reasons, the least of which would be to minimize human casualties.

for a person who supposedly likes peace your stance on this issue is puzzling - letting a country currently ruled by terrorists whose culture idolizes martyrs to have the ultimate in WMD's - he is one instance where you wont have trouble finding where they are :p

6. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In my own opinion, Bush should have been going after nuclear proliferation rather than Iraq. Years wasted, and a lot more by way of potential threats.

This is going to sound shocking, but I agree with some of what you said, dberman. The major point I differ on is your assertion that bombing nuclear facilities might be safer than not. I'm not suggesting that we do nothing as they may or may not attempt to develop nukes, but that further aggression seems the most likely way to encourage development of nukes.

From their perspective, they may simply want a deterrent, and I'm sure they know as well as anyone that if they were to develop nukes and then nuke Israel, Iran would be a radioactive wasteland within seconds.

For a moment, consider how you would feel if a larger, more powerful nation, with half a million troops occupying Mexico, demanded that the US dismantle all its nuclear facilities and weapons. It's not a really a 1:1 analogy with Iran, but it's clear that nukes=world-power, and they probably want in on that game more than they want in on nuclear war.

I know the response will have something to do with bloodthirsty muslim fanatics just aching to martyr themselves, but the race-hysteria, in my opinion, clouds the subject a little, and makes things a little too simple in the minds of some. That kind of thinking will lead to more bloodshed, and it makes americans look like bloodthirsty crusaders.

7. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So, let me get this straight... Saudi Arabia can increase production anytime they want? They don't have limiting factors like capacity to deal with? The US is capable of more or less forcing other middle east countries to lower their oil prices? Lastly, you would have use decrease our purchases for our strategic reserve, thus decreasing our military readiness. Great ideas. Really, absolutely stellar.

Next, you would give them a deadline? You would give them time to take all of their equipment and move it to secret locations? Great plan!

Now, who do you refer to as a "madman"?

Ali Khamenei has led the way in Iran for increasing science (particularly stem cell research and therapeutic cloning), and is the largest proponent in the government for speeding up economic privatization. also suggested that ownership rights should be protected in courts set up by the Justice Ministry; the hope was that this new protection would give a measure of security to and encourage private investment. He wants to pursue nuclear energy because oil and gas reserves are a non-renewable resource - as everyone here well knows.

He has said that human rights is a fundamental principle underlying Islamic teachings, including the rights to live, to be free, to benefit from justice and to welfare.

He has even issued a fatwa saying the production, stockpiling and use of nuclear weapons was forbidden under Islam. The fatwa was cited in an official statement by the Iranian government at an August 2005 meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) in Vienna.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Has done a lot in the one year he's had to serve as president. His fiscal plan called for banks to grant more loans to low income families and small businesses in underdeveloped regions, as well as an increase in housing subsidies for low income families. He has come out against a proposal of limiting family size to just two children. He established a fund to help young people get started (find jobs, housing, etc). He's one of the countries biggest proponents of Women's rights.

In terms of nuclear proliferation, he emphasized that building a nuclear bomb is not the policy of his government. He has said that there was no such policy and that such a policy was "illegal and against our religion." He has been quoted as saying the peaceful Iranian nuclear technology would not pose a threat to any party because "we want peace and stability and we will not cause injustice to anyone and at the same time we will not submit to injustice."

His comments against Israel stem from the belief in the region that Israel was created to impose Us and UK control over the area. His comments that you have been spouting off here about destroying Israel are much disputed - depending on who is translating, and who is reporting. If you read the translated text of the speech, they want to remove the occupying regime... That sounds kind of familiar, doesn't it? We just removed a regime in Iraq and you stood up and cheered.

You have no basis for your desire to attack Iran. There is no proof what-so-ever that they are attempting to build a nuclear weapon. Enriched uranium is also used in civil nuclear power plants, their stated goal. The leaders have publicly announced, on multiple occasions, that building nuclear weapons would be illegal.

Please, explain your desire to attack them and deny them the ability to produce renewable electricity.

8. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Feb 23 2007, 11:34 AM) [snapback]395174[/snapback]</div>
    Ahmadinejad is not a popular guy with the middle classes in Iran right now... just FYI. He was dealt a serious setback in the last round of elections (kinda like Bush II last November).

9. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They have to speed up production. They don't want to miss out on Armageddon. <_<

10. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In a nut shell, The UN is weak....

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Feb 23 2007, 10:34 AM) [snapback]395174[/snapback]</div>
    1. you have a propensity to put words in peoples mouths - we need not force anyone to do anything. it is in saudia arabias best interest to prevent iran from having enough money to finance its nuclear projects - that is true with other oil producing countries.
    2. we have more than enough oil in our reserves at this point - by delaying getting it up to 1 billion barrels instead of 700 million makes no difference in our military readiness - so this is a specious argument
    3. please tell me how they can move 3,000 nuclear centrifuges over night or the hard fixed structures some of which are buried 25 meters underground so easily. what is your concept of the assets required to build a nuclear bomb?
    4. if you think Ahmadinejad is doing this to produce electricity i have a bridge to sell you. if they wanted nuclear powerplants why not just contract to buy one from GE or Westinghouse or Siemens or whomever else sells them. why develop the capacity to enrich uranium. it is far cheaper to former way.
    5. finally - if you do think Ahmadinejad is a madman than you for sure are mad yourself - you would be one of few members in the Ahmadinejad is a good guy club. you conveniently do not mention the dozens of times he has called for israels destruction, how he has denied the holocost..... are you kidding me here or are you serious?

again, this is why my country is at risk - people like you. you see evil and call it good! you would enable him to obtain nuclear weapons - this is the sickest part. my countries greatest risk is not from the outside threats, it is from the rot from within - from people like you if you are not kidding here.

12. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So lets see... i post the good he's done for his own country, the laws they have in place against nuclear weapons, their repeated statements that they will not build a nuclear weapon and only wish to develop their own nuclear power plants, and suddenly I "you see evil and call it good"? Great argument, i think you just won a few people over to your point of view.

You say they can't move them overnight, and i agree with you... But seriously, would we give them the ultimatum that short? Or would it be 3 or 6 months? A lot can happen in that amount of time.

Please, show me where someone can buy a nuclear power plant. I'm very curious on this - is it really that easy for a country? Just phone up GE and say "I've got a couple hundred million here, I'd like to purchase a nuclear power plant"? Is it really that easy to continuously obtain the nuclear fuel for the power plant? Is it really a good strategy for a country to depend on another country for the fuel for all of its power generation (in fact, isn't that what we here in the US are trying to stop doing?)?

I don't think he is good or bad. I do think that there's a big chance that the media blows everything out of proportion. I also think that you are extremely biased on this issue by your religion, and refuse to see or acknowledge the good someone can do if you've already painted him as evil. You see the threats against Israel and they blind you.

I have repeatedly stated that i don't want Iran to become a nuclear power, but that i want then to be stopped through the proper processes - economic sanctions, UN pressure and inspections, and if it comes down to it, a resolution for action by the UN, not a country going off half cocked like we did in Iraq.

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Feb 23 2007, 11:38 AM) [snapback]395209[/snapback]</div>
    and you obviously were trusting of NoKo to do right too? How many times do you want to be fooled before you wake up to the obvious - are you playing dumb here - honest - how many countries will you allow to go nuclear - especially those with such kind hearted souls like Ahmadinejad.

my religion has little to do with this - perhaps your anti-Semetism has more to do with your opinions about a guy getting a hold of a nuke who has promised to wipe Israel off the map - that makes much more sense to me.

and he is my point - the UN has no way to stop him from going nuclear - you place you entire beliefs in an organization that is impotent - why? especially when they have never shown a significant care or concern as it relates to US interests or democracy or world peace. does it not bother you that your HOLY UN cannot even stop the genocide in Darfur - did NOT stop the genocide in Rowanda - and yet you worship at their idol and YOU will let genocide after genocide occur including future genocides fueled by nut and madmen like Ahmadinejad when he gets a hold of a nuke

again - you are threat to my country not Ahmadinejad. heck if the un said not to war with hitler you probably would sit back and relax.. you are dangerous. again you see evil and call it good - why?

14. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Feb 23 2007, 11:34 AM) [snapback]395174[/snapback]</div>
    You just made me throw up in my mouth a little bit..

You obviously have no clue what-so-ever as to the threat that Iran poses to the USA, and to the surrounding countries.

I guess the "Death to America" chanting, the denied UN inspections, the denial of the Holocaust, the threats to Israel, the buying and selling of weapons with Russia, the genocide, and .. gee.. well - you get the idea.

We had a deal with them to help them produce renewable energy but they backed out and continued doing their own thing.. They're trying to make nukes, not power. Don't be naive.

15. kn6vv

kn6vv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Lets be honest here folks. There is but one purpose Iran needs to enrich Uranium as fast as it is able. Yes, we do all know why.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has also told the world on numerous occasions in no uncertain terms his feelings toward the nation of Israel. It is no less that complete irresponsibility when this leader talks about wiping a certain nation of people off the face of the earth while his nation enriches uranium against warnings from most every major world leader not to mention the UN.

This is not rocket science. If we put ourselves in the shoes of the nation of Israel, we would all be looking for a way to stop this nuclear insanity. The very existence of Israel has in no uncertain terms been threatened with this nonsense.

In the early 80s, Israel saw a similar threat from another unfriendly neighbor and eliminated that threat using a secret limited air strike on the nuclear facility.

While I admire Israel’s willingness so far to wait again while all diplomatic means available to stop this threat are used, they will only be able to wait so long before Iran has the means to deliver its finished “packageâ€. Given the track record of previous diplomatic efforts, I have to expect another air strike soon.

Did you see the recent article from the British press on the practice runs being made by the Israeli Air Force? If I recall correctly, they are using highly modified F-16s on a route to Gibraltar that approximates the distance of a limited air strike on Iran’s enrichment facilities. The enrichment is suppose to be taking place at three locations in Iran in underground chambers to guard against such air strikes. The article mentioned the only weapon capable of penetrating with sufficient force to destroy these underground enrichment facilities is a small nuclear tipped “bunker busterâ€!

I can’t but wonder if this was leaked deliberately and used to float a world opinion on this action if/when it takes place. Needless to say, countries aligned with Iran expressed outrage at this report publicly. In private, however, it was motioned that some of these countries like Russia, France, and other EU nations who joined in the public outcry of this British news report were very privately hoping to see it take place since they too are within striking distance of this unstable nuclear nonsense Iran has engaged in!

Prepared for incoming!

Best wishes

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Feb 23 2007, 12:05 PM) [snapback]395232[/snapback]</div>
    And that is my point exactly. the dearth of responses here from the usuals equates with the significant problem they face with all their false constructs in life. their worshiping at the alter of the UN for instance. here, in what is probably the most clear cut case of UN impotence leading to a great potential for genocide and nuclear weapon use in the last 50 years they sit on their hands saying kumbaya.

they are indeed the greatest danger to my country - a danger from within that exceeds those from the outside.

17. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Flinging mud, the Berman way. Stick words in my mouth, accuse me of "worship at their idol" for simply stating that things should be done properly with the sanction of a body specifically designated for international law.

Berman, i do not appreciate you replying to my well thought out responses with accusations. I said nothing about any genocide, and yet you accuse me of supporting or allowing them. I said nothing against Israel or the Jewish faith, and yet you accuse me of being an anti-Semite. You say i see evil and call it good, and yet i haven't once said anywhere on this board that i think anyone or any country is "good" or "evil". All i've done is ask that people like you try to open your minds and consider all parts of a country instead of the narrow viewpoint you acquired after listening to a few news reports about a few words that a leader said.

When you have something meaningful to add to the conversation instead of baseless insults I'll be more than willing to discuss the situation with you.

18. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Feb 23 2007, 01:12 PM) [snapback]395239[/snapback]</div>
    Amen brother. Those that are destroying our Constitution, our rights, our legal systems, from within.. they are the biggest threat.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Feb 23 2007, 01:13 PM) [snapback]395240[/snapback]</div>
    Not to be rude or accusatory, but your statements lack validity and only question the motives of our leadership. You haven't really had any input other than "Why would we want to attack a country for trying to produce renewable energy?" .. Well, sir, that isn't why we are about to attack Iran. Do you really think we'd attack Iran for trying to make electricity? We're going to attack Iran because they are working very hard at developing nuclear weapons, have bought and sold nuclear weapons, and is ready to make a statement (with his new nukes). Just last month, the "President" of Iran was stating how it is his obligation to kick off the beginning of the end. He thinks he can bring about "The Second Coming" .. He wants to destroy Israel and the USA.. and complacent liberals are the reason he might actually get a chance to.

19. Ichabod

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Feb 23 2007, 12:35 PM) [snapback]395253[/snapback]</div>
    You're right, George Bush and his ilk are one of the greatest threats to this country. Destroying our legal system and our constitutional rights by doing such things as holding prisoners without charges, without trial, and then torturing them. Let's add destroying our credibility in the international community to that list.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(desynch @ Feb 23 2007, 12:35 PM) [snapback]395253[/snapback]</div>
    And now he has stated a desire to destroy the USA as well? Or do you say so just because the USA has acted so much like Israel is its own property? I guess coming from someone with an avatar that says "Peace through superior firepower," and who apparently displays that as a sincere representation of their beliefs, I should know better than to argue the point.

20. desynch

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Feb 23 2007, 02:35 PM) [snapback]395306[/snapback]</div>
    Absolutely. George and Pals is, in my opinion, of the worst leadership this country has ever seen. He has trampled constitutional rights more than most Democrats have managed to, torture, detention with our trial or representation, lying to the public.. all of this.. is terrible. To top it off, alot of people are pretty suspicious as to if these asshats even really won the election..

.. and regarding "Peace Through Superior Firepower" ..

If you think UN talks and "negotation" is going to bring peace with the enemy, well - please remove your head from your buttocks. We aren't going to win with hugs, contracts, or hand shakes.. We'll protect our assets, our way of life, and our safety with superior firepower. Not with hugs...