1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Iraq War Veteran Loses Ohio Congressional Race

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by IsrAmeriPrius, Aug 3, 2005.

1. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    CINCINNATI (AP) - A former Ohio lawmaker kept a GOP lock on a conservative House district Tuesday, defeating an Iraq war veteran who mounted the strongest showing by a Democrat in decades.

With 100 percent of precincts reporting unofficial returns in the special election, Republican Jean Schmidt had 57,974 votes, or 52 percent, to 54,401 votes, or 48 percent, for Marine reservist Paul Hackett in the seven-county southern Ohio district.

Schmidt is the first female elected from the 2nd District, succeeding Republican Rob Portman, who served 12 years before becoming President Bush's U.S. trade representative.

2. wstander

wstander New Member

Interesting headline; instead of accentuating that female lawmaker won. it shouts that a war veteran lost....hmmmmmmmmmm

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Perhaps instead:

Woman in Ohio Beats ex-Marine!

4. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are many women serving in the house and the senate (yes, it would be nice to have even more), but no veterans of the war in Iraq.

5. Schmika

Schmika New Member

While I commend ALL our service men and women, past and present, that CANNOT be the only qualification. It also cannot be a MAJOR qualification. It should rank as one of those.."all other things being equal, his service gets the nod".

Would you vote for a woman for president just because she is a woman?

Of course, in 2008, many will I think.

6. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Paul Hackett had all the requisite qualifications. He was endorsed by the Dayton Daily News and the Cincinnati Post. He only lost due to his party affiliation. This election sort of reminds me of the Yellow Dog Democrats of the old south.

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is the guy who drives a Prius, right?

8. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes.

9. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

The way I heard it, is that Mr Hacket a Marine Reserve Officer, who was a civilian liaison officer in Iraq (staff P___)...the military does have nick names for those not in actual combat) BUT had HONORABLY served in Iraq, and certainly the job he was doing and who he may have been dealing with WAS dangerous for sure. His campaign called mainly on the military side, for the immediate correction of the current mistake over there., ie get out.

On one of his last commercials, it started out with a snipet of a Bush speech, and strongly emphasized the fact that this man was a Gulf War Veteran, THAT WAS IT.

This was the same man who also called the President stupid... among other things, but he was a civilian at the time and certainly entitled to his opinions. One thing cleverly left out of the commercial was the PARTY affiliation.

You would have thought this was a Republican commercial.

The people were apparently not sufficiently fooled or tricked in Ohio. One thing the Democrats claimed was that this was going to be a wake up call, and a "bellweather" campaign showing this current administration a thing or two. This did not happen.

10. prius04

prius04 New Member

Hackett is getting a lot of credit for having come so close in a district that has consistently voted Republican over the last 30 years.

The last Republican won 70% to 30%. 40% versus 4%. So it sounds like it did happen.

As for what role Hacket played in Iraq, the "Staff Puke" quote comes from Rush Limbaugh. What war was Rush in?

What war was GW in?
    What war was Rummy in?
    What war was Wolfie in?
    What war was Perle in?
    What war was Cheney in?
    Actually, this list goes on and on.

Democrats are generally no better. But at least Hacket was there. Personally, I think the depths some Repubicans will go to slander patriotic Democrats is truly disgusting. But I've never had much use for Rush.

And in Iraq, in case you haven't noticed, combat is occurring EVERYWHERE.

According to Eisenhowers biography, he saw no combat in WW1 or WW2. Does this make him a "staff puke" too?

Years ago, just after Rush lost his weight, he appeared on David Letterman. Dave asked him if he, Rush, believed everything he said.

His answer? He smiled and said, "Dave, I'm an entertainer, just like you."

So be careful when you rely on an entertainer for your news.

11. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The rumors posted by the member from Texas are in line with the so called Swift Boat Veterans smear campaign of a year ago. Regardless of those lies and distortions, Hackett served in the line of fire, which is everywhere in Iraq.

This is what The Cincinnati Post had to say:

"Hackett's public service revolves around the Marine Corps. In 1982 he enlisted in a reserve officers program while he was a student at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland. He completed law school at Cleveland State before starting full-time active duty in 1989. He continued in the active reserves after returning in 1992 to Cincinnati...

"Last year Hackett re-enlisted in the Marine active reserves; he went in with the rank of major and served in Iraq with a governance support team, where part of his job involved organizing convoys to bring money and supplies from Baghdad to Iraqis serving in the regional government.

"If elected, he notes, he would be the only member of Congress with direct military experience in Iraq - which, he says, is a fight we should end as soon as possible. He wants to finish the job and get out, and he wants the United States to stop holding hands with Pakistan and to get serious about tracking down those responsible for the 9-11 attacks."

And the Dayton Daily News:

"Mr. Hackett was in the thick of things in Iraq, running an entrance to Fallujah after an American assault that took control of that city from insurgents. He helped to provide water and other necessities for civilians.

"Now he has strong views about Iraq. He believes the Bush administration hasn't understood the difficulty of training the Iraqi military. He would put more urgency into the effort.

"As a vet, he could have a voice on this issue in Congress, even as a freshman."

12. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

If that was the case, with Hackett, then his campaign should have clearly stated him aims, especially at the end. There is a video available for this campaign spot, unedited I might add. As for the little name Limbaugh used, it is common in the military. Actually I would have probably voted for this man, HAD HE not tried to deceive voters at the end of the campaign. TRUTH AND COMMON SENSE., a Marine Officer almost always has that. As for his world views, he would simply get an education as a freshman Congressman. If our side has a spin machine, so does YOURS., it is just amazing. the deceit and single minded obstinence on both sides is what is keeping good people out, had that commercial spot NOT RUN., Limbaugh would have had NOTHING to say or do about it.

13. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Ps re-read the post., I might add I very carefully stated his HONORABLE SERVICE AND likely under enemy fire or dangerous condition..

quote:
    BUT had HONORABLY served in Iraq, and certainly the job he was doing and who he may have been dealing with WAS dangerous for sure.

You guys finished the nickname not me.. It is common for nicknames in the military, I was a Flyboy...

You all are all out with spin, just like me, in todays AP and all new stories, it sounds like you guys. Yesterday before the results, it sounded like my post regarding the potential win for the Democrats. As for the criticism for the implication YOU MAKE that I be-littled this Marine's war service, well I don't feel I did that at all.

14. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

OH AND ps Kerry lost., and the Swift Boat Veterans had just as much right to speak out then Kerry did at the DNC, regarding his service there.

15. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just like your hero Carl Rove, right?

How duplicitous of you. Everyone, including you knows what you meant. This game is getting to be very tiresome.

:pukeleft: :pukeright:

16. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

You are the one over reacting., and flagging it., so there must be some element of truth to my duplicity and allegations right?? That is how you think...

Go watch Gore TV., and the other Democratic spin machines..don't they do the same..all the papers and TV news. You mean we just have to sit there and take all this and do and/or say nothing??

The man (Hackett) did good in a republican district after STRONG efforts to unseat the Republican. Numerous Big name people came to Ohio to help, and with a last effort, it was felt a direct appeal oriented torwards the man's Marine background could be used.

But in its use, it was determined, it had to be such, that perhaps an undecided republicans with doubts could be changed so THEY WERE TARGETED.

If the party affiliation, and past OPEN criticism of Bush's war could be left out, THAT would not allianate the voter. So an add was designed to highlight the Marine, and his patriotism for VOLUNTEERING and going to Iraq after 9-11, it started with Bush commenting that it was a patriotic thing to do, then changed to a describtion of his service. That is what I have said, and that is TRUE. Limbaugh was saying and doing nothing, until a listener brought him the add, that add only played in the Congressional area, and if it had not been like that, no one would have done anything.

You two can play all you want., but that is the long and short of it., you all brought up the rest not me. Your own reactions indicate and implicate the possible truth Democrats want to hide.

This Marine Officer did his job there and I said so, just like I did., it is his political conduct NOW that is brought into question, in light of his USE OF the military record and HOW THE MILITARY RECORD is presented to voters.

The FEW republicans politicians that have served, at least report their military service to this country in an open and honest fashion.

17. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

The FEW republicans politicians that have served, at least report their military service to this country in an open and honest fashion.

Start with Dole, G.Bush senior, and Mc Cain

18. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

If a republican who had military service was found to glorify and magnify his service, OR use it and then have an opposite view on the military today, you guys would CRUCIFY HIM.

19. wstander

wstander New Member

Bottom line, at least in Ohio, is that simply being a veteran is no substitute for either former legislative experience or matching YOUR political beliefs/philosphies with the MAJORITY of the electorate.

Apparently, at least in THIS election, Mr Hackett failed to adequately express his positions, or, as some still fail to note, his positions are at odds with the Ohio electorate.

True, he make some dent in the GOP grip, but that may also have been due to his opponent's record as well.

I still find it noteworthy that the media, Fox News included, chose to highlight his 'loss', as if his candicacy and veteran status were assured in an historically conservative state.

Perhaps had all of those Ohio members of the military that were killed in Iraq over the past week been killed BEFORE the election, he could have waved THAT bloody flag and got elected. After all, that is all any of the Democrats can yell about to get elected because they certainly have not proffered any ideas to improve anything...

20. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Imagine that, a political candidate loses a political election because of his political affiliations and his political positions. It just boggles the mind that people didn't vote for him just because he is an Iraq War veteran.

What an outrage!!!