1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Iraq: where we go from here

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Pinto Girl, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, I'm about to go out on a(nother) limb and propose what I'd do in Iraq, moving forward.

I'm not a politician and don't own a TV set, so take that into consideration, please.

Here's the executive summary:
    1. Seems to me that we're really good at the military side of things, but don't really have quite the force that's designed to put things back together once operations are over/move forward (this could also read, we're willing to spend the $$ to destroy stuff, but not so willing to put it back together again).
    2. Money (in this case, in the form of what people need) is a good way to amend behavior...if it's *NOT* tied directly to bending to the political and moral will of the United States.

Soooo....

What I'm proposing is that we explore ways to activate the Iraqi citizenry at large. I'm working through this as I write, but I'm thinking that it would be cool if we say:
    --"okay, we're currently spending x billion dollars per year on military operations to secure your country."
    --"we'd rather give you that money in the form of food, water, infrastructure, and other things that you need."
    --"so, if y'all can begin to work together and can reduce the violence in the neighborhoods where you live, you'll get two rewards (instead of the one we offer now).
    --currently, we offer: 1. The military will go away. I'm proposing that we add a second incentive: 2. Instead of leaving a vacuum of destruction, you'll begin receiving the goods you require for survival...in direct proportion to how much/little violence there is in your region.

Also, I think that we should *not* attempt to secure the entire country. Instead, we should concentrate our resources on creating 'Safe Zones' in which law and order -- which reflects the local taste of the people who'll live under it -- can flourish. There would be no-man's zones around these areas (and if someone violated them, we'd pound them into submission) but the idea would be to help the locals to not feel like victims any more...instead, they could *take ownership* of their cities again, perhaps.

Also...

I'd propose the creation of a civilian reconstruction corps. Again, this is formative, but the idea would be to teach numbers of willing American citizen ambassadors the language and customs, and then send them 'in country' to the Safe Zones to assist with the reconstruction. I'm not sure what they'd do specifically, other than to reduce the 'foreign-ness of Americans...

And we, at home, would have to sacrifice a little, too.

By structuring our efforts in this way, it makes it lots more clear that we're really willing to put Humpty Dumpty together again, after shoving him off the wall in the first place.

2. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You don't have a TV? How is that possible??? :(

3. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(huskers @ Nov 7 2006, 03:20 PM) [snapback]345181[/snapback]</div>
    Before I got rid of 'em, I asked myself the same question...

Now I'm saving nearly $100/month by not shelling out for cable. That's $1,200/year.

Honestly, I truly believe that the fever pitch of the media, and the way messaging is delivered, is inciting us to anger and making us short of temper. And I simply refuse to allow myself to be manipulated in these ways.

Now, I have to read to get my news and information...and so there's no one potentially spinning information with the tone of their delivery or their personal appearance (not to mention the messaging of the surrounding commercial pods).

That's not to say that papers don't have a slant all their own (the Chronicle here is notoriously liberal, for example). But the reality of it is that the average TV news spot contains about three paragraphs of information, which is simply not enough for us to even begin to base decisions upon.

The irony of the whole situation is that I used to work in advertising, producing television spots for regional and national clients.

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Nov 7 2006, 03:31 PM) [snapback]345187[/snapback]</div>
    I have two TV sets, one on cable (wife watches cable) the other free air ant w/20 channels.
    Can you believe it I remember 2,6,9 & pbs 24. I get the most enjoyment from listening to radio classics on Sirus radio, the radio shows are from the 30's-50's. They make you use your imagination.... ;)

5. chimohio

chimohio New Member

We're supposed to be rebuilding their infrastructure over there with all the money we previously allocated. After all we did destroy it first.
    Without having their economy restored first giving them money won't do any good.
    As far as the violence is concerned, I believe this would continue even it we provided them all they needed.

(i get all of 5 channels on my antenna and still channel surf)

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    In all my adult life, the only time I've had a TV was when I lived in a furnished apartment in Mexico (TV included) and a brief time when I had a TV set and cable to alleviate the boredom of the treadmill.

In Mexico I watched old Mexican movies (Cantinflas, Relampago, Capulina y Viruta, etc.) and telenovelas; and when I used it for the treadmill I watched bad movies (there were no good ones) while exercising.

Television rots your brain, and I attribute a good deal of the stupidity of America to television. It's a double-whammy: Your brain function atrophies in the absence of exercise, and the TV presents such a distorted view of the world that your judgement becomes impaired. Sensationalistic reporting creates and foments a climate of fear, and the constant bombardment of advertising impregnates your brain with counter-logical thought processes.

Pinto Girl: I think there's a lot that's solid in your suggestions, but the level of hatred and anger against the foreign invader who has killed so many of their spouses, parents, and children is so great that there can never be peace while we remain there.

There might be a chance if we turned it over to the U.N.

Imagine if Bulgaria (to pick a far-away nation at randon) invaded the U.S., defeated our army, captured and hanged our president, killing 3/4 of your immediate family members in the process, including those who never took up arms, and then announced: We'll help you re-build, but you must put down your arms and stop resisting our occupation first. How easy would it be for you to forgive and forget, and cooperate? Not easy at all. And most people are less forgiving by nature than you are. And the culture of the Middle East places a high value on vengeance.

I think a good first step would be to put our own war criminals on trial, and not hang anybody, but maybe put the criminals of both sides in the same prison together.

And then let the U.N. administer elections there.

(And maybe here, too, for the matter of that.)

7. EricGo

EricGo New Member

In the past year I watched the US baseball finals on broadcast TV, and tonight I am watching ABC though an internet stream.

We have one tv in the house, but it is disconnected.

8. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 7 2006, 09:36 PM) [snapback]345231[/snapback]</div>
    That's pretty clear. Good job! :)