1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Iraqies Revolt Against Al Qaeda - Ask for Help!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bigmahma, May 31, 2007.

1. bigmahma

bigmahma New Member

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigmahma @ May 31 2007, 10:55 PM) [snapback]453036[/snapback]</div>
    Faux News? What's the matter, the Weekly World News site is down?

3. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigmahma @ May 31 2007, 10:55 PM) [snapback]453036[/snapback]</div>
    35.9?

Your MPG sucks. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ May 31 2007, 10:59 PM) [snapback]453040[/snapback]</div>
    It's an AP story. <_<

4. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Les Gas @ May 31 2007, 09:08 PM) [snapback]453045[/snapback]</div>
    The left won't accept certain news outlets as valid, so you have to source the news story from a news outlet they will accept. Fox News, which has a slight conservative bias, drives them up the wall because they believe the liberal bias of their favorite outlets is really "neutral", and anything on Fox News has to be "fake".

For an AP story, you should have tried to see if something like the NY Times online has the story. Because you didn't play by their rules, they will not discuss the issue, but only ridicule your choice of news outlets. Its deflection at its best.

Al Qaeda has become a problem in Iraq, with much of the killing being done in the name of the terrorist organization. Some of the former militias and other holdouts are willing to cooperate with American troops to kick the foreign terrorists out, and so they want us there for now. They will want us to leave as soon as Al Qaeda is gone and they perceive themselves to be on top of the heap, because they won't want interference in subjugating the people under them.

5. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for not feeding the trolls. (they'll just puke it back up on your screen).

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    First, the attacks on the liberals were way out of line.

Second, calling for a withdraw doesn't mean we "have no freaking spine", and statements like that really make me want to just put you on ignore - they're inflammatory and serve no purpose.

to address the article:

It's important to note that this wasn't a general call for help - they asked for American assistance in one limited scope gun battle that had been going on for 2 days. IMO, they called on us as a last ditch effort to fight their battle. If they truly want us there, let the polls show it. Let them show it by calling us at the beginning of hostilities, not after they decide its something they can't win.

It's like fighting with your siblings... so long as you can hold your ground you keep going... the moment things get to tough you start yelling for mommy. Is it our job to play mommy while they fight amongst themselves? Is it our job to sacrifice the lives of our servicemen in what is (and has been) a civil war?

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, it's b/c of lack of spine....please. You sound like a H2 driver saying anyone who drives a Prius does so b/c they're too much of a wuss to drive an H2.

Now, if you really care to apply an ounce of brain power to this discussion here's the real issue. While there are and have been isolated groups of Sunnis and even Kurds very much opposed to insurgency movements and in some tenuous support of the US efforts none of the 3 major groups agree on what the ultimate balance of power should be. The Shia and Kurds will see any efforts by the Sunni to enlist the US to their side as a power grab. It increases the likelihood that their members will join the side of the insurgency in order to hold onto the power they're afraid of losing.

I don't deny that there are and have been and will continue to be some positive things that occur due to the US invasion and presence. But neither can you deny that the overall impact has been a negative one. The issue at hand is whether our continued presence will be overall positive or negative. My informed opinion is that it will be negative....very negative. Not withstanding your ill informed opinion about the strength of my spine. Apparently your opinion is that our presence will be positive. The historical record of the past 4 years and my knowledge and understanding of the culture of Iraq and the middle east also support that view. I'd be appreciative of any information you have that would suggest what makes a positive outcome likely or even possible.

8. bigmahma

bigmahma New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Les Gas @ Jun 1 2007, 12:08 AM) [snapback]453045[/snapback]</div>
    It's 39.5 - :)

I'm actually in the middle of my best tank ever - i'm averaging 48 MPH - i'm VERY excited about it.

The first 100 miles or so was 40 MPH - so I think my next tank will be even better.

I'm limiting my highway driving speed to 65 MPH instead of 78 MPH for the 8 mile trip. That seems

to help alot as well.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jun 1 2007, 10:05 AM) [snapback]453180[/snapback]</div>
    This is FHOP - i'm supposed to be inflammatory.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Jun 1 2007, 10:05 AM) [snapback]453180[/snapback]</div>
    Isn't that what socalism (liberalism) all about? Saving the world?

9. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "This is FHOP - i'm supposed to be inflammatory."
    Then you will be treated like a troll and every point you make will push people further from your point of view.

"Isn't that what socalism (liberalism) all about? Saving the world?"
    Then what are conservatives all about, destroying it? hyperbole works both ways, troll.

10. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jun 1 2007, 02:16 AM) [snapback]453087[/snapback]</div>
    The bolded statment goes against every thing that (most / but not all)libbys have been told. ie. we are not wanted there. Yes you have to search all the networks as the libbys only except their new networks as being true..... :lol: :rolleyes:

Its like all the pictures floating around of the Iraqis welcoming us and smiling. Im sure those libbys probibly think theres a soldier in the back ground holding up candybars, to make the kids smile... :rolleyes:

Oh well no matter how hard you try, they (Some Libbys) will continue to turn a blind eye towards any truths that maybe presented by non-libbys as 1/2 truths or claim its just a political move. :mellow:

11. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And vice versa.

12. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Jun 1 2007, 11:07 AM) [snapback]453212[/snapback]</div>
    Well said! B)

13. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Jun 1 2007, 11:25 AM) [snapback]453235[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, and isn't it odd that those are generally the only pictures paraded around? Why, they must all love us over there... see, we have the pictures to prove it!

Speak with someone who's been over there, and you'll likely get a far different story.

14. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigmahma @ May 31 2007, 11:55 PM) [snapback]453036[/snapback]</div>
    There are significant signs of popular uprising against al-Qaeda. The risk they face knowing that there is significant political pressure being exerted to withdraw US troops from Iraq by Democrats/Liberals highlights the importance of this and other stories like it. We should not downplay this - we should broadcast this - we should llet them know that if they rise up against al-Qaeda we will be there for them.

After all - isn't al-Qaeda responsible for 9/11 and other terror directed at us - is this not the enemy we are trying to kill? Let us empower those that join with us in this shared struggle - they are putting their lives on the line and they have no place to retreat - not even Okinawa :D

15. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 1 2007, 11:44 AM) [snapback]453255[/snapback]</div>
    Wait I thought this was a war for oil or that Binladen called George Bush Sr names, & that al-qaeda really wasn't there, and had no ties to Iraq or visy-versy..

Thats what has been spewed at us time and time again... Its funny if you take the time to look back in the arkives of PC and see the statements have been made even if the stater states other-wise :huh: :mellow:

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Jun 1 2007, 11:53 AM) [snapback]453266[/snapback]</div>
    a lot of people here have a construct that saddam had no ties to other terror groups or had no ties to al-qaeda - not that they dont all share a common goal or function. i too find it mind-boggling that now we have the enemy coming at us in iraq and we have our troops and forces in place to do what we ALL want to do - kill al-Qaeda - there are still those amongst us who want us to withdraw in defeat - absolutely nuts.

not one person should doubt that al-Qaeda is our enemy, that it has attacked us, killed us, and want to do so in bigger and badder ways. now that we have them where we want them why not go all out and support our troops in staying the course and helping those who also want to kill out enemies?

the truth may be that the Dems/libs want us to lose this war - this will become more obvious as continued news filters out from iraq that the locals are standing up themselves to fight al-Qaeda - we will see if the dems/libs change their tune - if not - then we will all know without any doubt whatsoever - that they only want us defeated and that their support for our troops was artificial and self-serving.

time will tell.

hey, where is jumpin jack jihad murtha now - or harry reid??

17. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To say that dems/libs WANT us to lose is very disengenious. You could say that they have less will to fight, but not that they want us to lose.

And not one dem/lib doubts that Al-Qaeda is our enemy, and if you look back to previous posts, you'll see those people you refer to as saying the Iraq war would DRAW Al-Qaeda to Iraq or help it to flourish there, and it has. Whether or not that will allow us to defeat Al-Qaeda is a whole other issue.

That being said, you are right that we should play up reports like this, if only to get common Iraqi's to view us as an ally not an occupier. They have to have someone to blame for the mess there in, better that it be Al-Qaeda than the US.

But this small report does not prove liberals to have been wrong the whole time.

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood @ Jun 1 2007, 01:08 PM) [snapback]453320[/snapback]</div>
    Just most of the time. I am more interested to see how they react to this report and hopefully future ones along these lines.

Again, our enemy is where we want them -- over there far away from us and as important - where are forces are ---- and ---- we have allies willing to fight and die killing them too. seems to me like a win-win-win situation.

everyone we/they kill is one less nut running around willing to strap a nuke around their back and bring it here.

send the bullets, send the money, send the support - send our best wishes for good hunting and Gods protection for our troops and other allies.

19. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Again, our enemy is where we want them -- over there far away from us and as important - where are forces are ---- and ---- we have allies willing to fight and die killing them too. seems to me like a win-win-win situation."
    But that's my problem with your statement. They were over there before, and they'll be over there long after we're gone. They are Arabs and they live in the middle east. We don't even know if the report or future ones like it are genuine, spun, or outright propaganda. If it is, it's brilliant. Turning the hatred onto them is what we want.

I don't think democrats are thinking anyting other than "good! glad they hate someone else!" How do YOU think they will react to this? I'm not sure there will be much reaction to it at all.

"Just most of the time." Have you ever approached a topic WITHOUT this bias? You know... as an American searching for common ground? Sometimes I think you feel liberals are more of an enemy than Al-Qaeda. Liberals and conservatives really aren't that far apart when you set them up next the Islamic world. And both Democrats and Republican politicians are corrupt, make mistakes, and need to be pressured to do what's right for the country.

20. thebrattygurl

thebrattygurl New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jun 1 2007, 01:16 AM) [snapback]453087[/snapback]</div>
    Fyi -

Not everybody on the "left" (that would include me) has the same viewpoints on the news, and whether or not it is biased. Generalizations are never a good thing:)