1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is 100K mile P worth buying?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Chazmann, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Chazmann

Chazmann Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I find a number of ads for P II (Prius Generation 2, 2004-2009) with 100K miles or so asking for around $10K in my area (So Calif). I don't have a Prius now and never had one before, but would like to get one.
    Should I rather save $10K for a downpayment for a new one?

2. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have no idea what a P III is.
    Nonetheless, I would suggest that it might be prudent to pass on the 100K miles, and put the dough on a newer vehicle.

3. Chazmann

Chazmann Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ooop. I meant P gen II. I editted.

4. Quattro

Quattro Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One thing to take into consideration is the battery pack has a 10yr/150k mi warranty in CA. After that, I've heard numbers between $2500-$4000 to replace the battery.

5. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Recognizing that I AM a newbie :) as I just bought a 2005 Prius with 133,500 miles --BUT the above ^^^ post invites the question - Has a "survey" been done to see how many have actually had the battery pack "go bad" and have had to replace it? I w/b curious to see how often this has happened and at what mileage? Year of Prius --- What mileage and year the battery pack died ???

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My MY 2009 Prius does not even have it's first spark plug change until 120,000 miles. Pretty much just oil and filters until then. I treated mine to a Transaxle fluid change at 60,000 but it was not on the schedule.

TV4fish, there are good numbers until 100,000 miles as they are all under warranty until then. At one point, Toyota was able to claim 1 in 400,000 Prius had a HV Battery replaced under warranty. I have not heard a recent statement.

After they are out of warranty, there are so many sources, it is possible no one knows.
    New from a Dealer, Rebuilt from a third party, Used from a salvage yard, etc.

7. tv4fish

tv4fish Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Jim: Kind of tied to Quattro's post - I'm asking about the original battery - those that were NOT replaced - for instance my 2005 has the original battery and 133,500 miles and still going - what's the history of the original battery life in miles/years for other model years? I think those numbers might give someone like the OP a feeling of which direction he should lean with his purchase plans.

8. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    100K Prius in California is a good value due to the 10/150K CARB warranty, which covers the HV battery, and, in some cases, the transaxle. 09 is the most reliable hybrid on the road at the moment. Test drive several, to know that mileage is not always the best measure of condition.

Buying a brand new car is always a losing proposition when based solely on money. For example, the used car that you buy today, you can probably sell next month for within a few hundred bucks under or over what you paid. A brand new car loses several thousand dollars of value as soon as you take possession.

1 person likes this.
  9. SimiPrius

SimiPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    I can tell you that I sold my Gen II with 92K - only because I wanted a Gen III - but it was running perfectly. Needed nothing. I suspect that if you find a well maintained Gen II with a service history, I would see no reason not to seriously consider.

10. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you want to wait a few years, I intend to sell my 11 when it is close to the 100k mark. Don't care if it lasts longer than that, I just don't want to bother with an older car. Someone will probably get a good car and I'll buy a new one, it's a little luxury I can afford. Hope it's a Priuschatter that gets it.;)

11. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My point was this: Up to 100,000 miles, I think Toyota has a good idea how many fail, as the owner would be a fool not to use his warranty with Toyota. You have not replaced yours yet, but at 135,000 Toyota might not know even if you had. I do not know of any agency or group that is tracking battery failure not serviced by a Toyota dealer under warranty. ReInVolt replaces enough to stay in business, and they have competitors.

We also do not know how many owners incorrectly replaced their HV Battery when the 12 volt battery needed replacement. We see anecdotes, but not statistics. Even under warranty, dealers seem to replace the HV Battery rather than read the diagnostic codes.

1 person likes this.
  12. Quattro

Quattro Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    tv4fish has a good point but I just don't think there's enough data pointing at either direction. Plus, the battery longevity involves too many variables like driving condition, climate, etc. But due to the high cost of the HV battery, for Toyota to set the warranty cutoff at 150k mi means their internal data shows majority of the batteries won't fail before that point. Beyond that is a crapshoot.

13. Chazmann

Chazmann Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Of course mileage is not always the best measue, but that's the most "considered" factor during used car transaction.

True that buying a brand new car depreciates as soon as it leaves the dealership lot. But I might have to do that when the new Prius C comes out.

14. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    To qualify for PZEV status, California requires the vendor to warranty for 150,000 miles, it is not a number Toyota chose.

Partial zero-emissions vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

15. wheelsup

wheelsup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Of course but they aren't going to design the thing to fail under that. It's obviously in their best interest to design the batteries to last at least as long as 150k. I think that was the point...

16. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Regarding 2004-2009 Prius, a 2008-2009 Prius with 100K miles is a better value than a 2004-2007 50K-75K miles. The older cars have a few issues that were corrected towards the end of the generation. You might be able to pick off a 2008 or 2009 from a private party for your $11K.

1 person likes this.
  17. Chazmann

Chazmann Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for the info.

Can you tell me what the issues were on 2004-2007 models?