1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

is 16" the best compromise?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by sidecar, Oct 23, 2011.

1. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is all about appearances, technicalities

Looking around at various rim / tyre combinations, Im feeling the pain of reluctance for 17" options, and might be tempted instead to feel out lightweight 16" sizes. The chances of getting 16" touring wheels are next to zip here but there are a few options fielded primarily for Subaru performance cars.

I had been favouring Yokohama db tyres, mostly because I can get them locally and I've been a little persuaded by their tech speak marketing, but Im not sure if theres a 845rpm tyre for 16" diameters.

Does anyone have any data on these tyre possibilities as they seem rather less on 16" ?

My strategy is to source lightweight rims, with tyres that work well, in the hope of competing in weight with the stock 15" fitment and Michelen X that I have now, and yet access a little more grip that I will surely need on these country roads here. This isnt a place where it snows, it last snowed here in 1996, but roads can get pretty greasy in infrequent summer rains.

In the end I will lower the car possibly as much as 2" (perhaps a fraction less), and fill out the wheel wells using spacers on the rims (that most Sub's carry). That will improve appearances a little and give the car a wider footprint. Im assuming it will carry higher but safer corner speeds and reduce the amount of throttle up after cornering, and hence improve fuel mileage.

2. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Lowering the car will help fuel economy slightly but wider tires will hurt the fuel economy as will spacing them outwards (puts them in the airflow increasing drag). Wider tires do help in cornering but after the cornering I think they'll hurt more than help fuel efficiency.

I don't know what your options are in Australia but 16" rims sounds OK to me in the grand scheme. Might look at some of these tires

Yokohama dB Super E-Spec is available at 850 RPM (make your speedometer read slightly fast but not far off OEM RPM). It's pricy $150 per tire and doesn't have survey results on tirerack but there are two Prius owner reviews that say it's a great tire.

Hankook Optimo H727 (better than average RR, still good pricing, best rated "Standard Touring All-Season" on tirerack)
    Gen II/III 16" choice $97 834 205/55/16 Hankook Optimo H727

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S (not LRR, rated as the best "High Performance All-Season" on tirerack.
    Gen II/III 16" choice $115 839 205/55/16 Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S

Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring (not LRR, don't confuse it for the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred (one says Touring the other doesn't) the non "touring" version isn't as good in the snow (among other differences). The touring version is the best rated "Grand Touring All-Season" on tirerack.
    Gen II/III 16" choice $127 840 205/55/16 Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring

If you have 16" rims the Michelin Primacy MXV4 is LRR in a size I'd recommend (not LRR at 15" sizes, rated just below the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring in the "Grand Touring All-Season" category on tirerack.
    Gen II/III 16" choice $138 837 205/55/16 Michelin Primacy MXV4 with Green X

Another LRR choice is the Michelen HydroEdge with Green X
    Gen II/III 16" choice 839 $111 205/55/16 Michelin HydroEdge w/ Green X

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is a much greater choice of tyres in the 205/55/16 size, and they are also cheaper. The wider tyre does not always increase fuel consumption I went from 195/55/16 to 205's in the UK and have gained (even though the tyres are not yet run in) 2mpg and expect to gain some more. The tyres I am using are Hankook kinergy eco but I believe in Australia they are called Hankook enfren eco, check them out they are new on the market.

4. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks for the list

I fell over this a bit earlier
    Car MPG Efficiency Modifications Main - EcoModder

5. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    interesting
    I have seen these tyres marketed but know nothing about them, so I guess I have some research in front of me.

I might have to be a little flexible in tyre/rim widths so that may prove very important, .........thanks

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The dB tire was tested in the Round and Black LRR tire test conducted by tirerack.It is a summer tire so the tread pattern is not the best for off road conditions.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I find the tyres are much quieter than the OEM Turanzers turn in and strait line stability are also greatly improved. Price in the UK is about 30% cheaper than Michelin.

8. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I dont do much dirt trecking, usually at the end of journeys. I suppose it might be around half a percent and I always take it easy.

This area is a mixture of straight flat gunbarrel highways in the valleys and slow 40 mph winding sealed narrow roads either side. Bitumen is usually pretty coarse

this is the top of a mountain my V6 couldnt get up at 100kmph [edit: I should have said not on cruise], but the Prius could. Fatal accident marker at right, I did a bit of a series of photos on that subject, young 17 yo girl died on a Christmas Eve. The site is always attended by flowers
    [​IMG]

and a bit of a look across one of the valleys 30 min north of here

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    quiet would be nice
    my Michelins arent really all that quiet, and sometimes finding myself with no engine noise in an aluminium car it seems to resonate road noise

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you don't plans on driving fast on those unpaved interior outback roads I always see on the Discovery Channel then you'll be fine. :)

Interestingly, I think my Primacy MXM4 tires are less noisy than my dB s but it could be that the dBs are a tiny bit noisier due to reduced amount of tread.

11. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    20 mins east of here annual rainfall falls off a cliff :)
    ok now this tyre thing is getting confusing !

are the db's run in yet ?

[​IMG]

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I love those pictures. :)

My dBs are well broken in. I really like them in terms of handling, ride quality, eco-friendliness, and fuel economy. They are fairly quiet compared to the Integritys, Nokian i3 and Kumho ecsta ASX (17"). The only thing I would knock them for is the noise they produce when driving over expansion joints found on bridges. That is a minor issue. I also wish they were less expensive so they would compete with other LRR tires on the market.

I would classify them as one of the most eco-friendly tires on the market but there are other tires that may be more economical. It just comes down to your priorities. :)

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked to see if they have the Primacy MXM4 in a 205/55/16 and they do. Revs per mile are 836 which may cause the speedo to run slow until you wear them down a bit. They are not cheap tires but they have a good treadwear rating, are excellent in terms of wet traction and are very quiet. I'm running the 17" version and I love them. I just wish I could get the same mpg I do with my 15" tires.

14. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    expansion joints is a bit sophisticated for out here :)
    they do seem to be very promising to me

15. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hmmm, it gets more and more difficult doesnt it ;)
    money isnt really an object
    Ive been working this out on efficiency as a system, so thats a highly important feature unless I can compensate somewhere else. Other discussions have highlighted weights too, so it might become more important unless I can get a favourable wheel deal.

Something like Enkie or Volk wheels will take the weight off that side of the equation, and I think I might need to resolve that side of it first. I came to the point of view some time ago that weight and LRR are balancing factors, I might be lucky to cover both but it seems less likely

16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For the highest level of efficiency I would stick with the 15" tires. With lowering springs and possibility a thicker rear sway bar the can can handle quite well unless you really like pushing the car hard in the twisties. I really love the efficiency of my 15" setup but I hate the way it looks. Your idea of using larger wheel covers ona 16" wheel may help you to acheive a nice balance between the efficiency of 15" wheels but looking like a larger wheel. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

One other factor I forgot to mention is appearance. The dBs are an excellent tire but they are not good looking. The Nokian i3 and my MXM4 are MUCH better looking. So that is something you may want to consider. I know that sounds silly but it is kind of important if you are spending money on nice wheels. :)

17. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    now this is timely, Im off to look at some Enkies and Volk wheels today. :) .... and thanks for the reminder about sway bars

I used to get a bit enthusiastic about driving, actually I drove the wheels off of every car Ive had. But the Prius is different, you cant just power on out of corners or throttle steer like other front wheel drive cars, so the best I can attempt is 'brisk' to be safe.

I had a look at this site the other day, Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com which quantified some aero features Im interested in. Now I would never have thought this was true but theyre saying that wheel covers have made a 4.6% improvement at 65mph !

65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com

the 'trims' on the stock wheels contribute to this same phenomena, and actually I dont mind the look of them, they just show more sidewall than is modern to do so right now. And they have the advantage of letting cooling air through to the brakes, this is a similar arrangement to current practise in some race cars. Of issue is how theyre securely attached.

Indeed you have to spend a fistful of money to do better than the stock arrangement, and by the time you pressure up to 40-50 psi all its about is the esoterics of the amount of visible sidewall, contact patch and loss of ride quality.

Potentially deeper trims overcomes both sets of objections, and frankly the easiest way to attach them would be to the stock trims. Then fill out the guards better by dropping the car (mine is a full 8" off the deck at the sill!) and push the wheels outward with spacers to adjust, which Im convinced will lower the Cdo by reducing/redirecting the transit of turbulent air beneath the car in a more controlled fashion, while not interfering with the quite good job Toyota have done with the body considering it is an aluminium pressing (which doesnt adapt to curves easily).

But that doesnt give me more contact patch on the road at an acceptable rpm which is one thing I hoped to achieve. For that I think I have to go to 16" 's.

not silly at all, the esoterics are important, its how to balance them thats the problem

18. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i reckon 16-in rims with 205/50/16 tires are the best alternative for the Aussie spec 195/60/15 stock setup. since it's the closest in terms of stock diameter and circumference. i went for bronze TE37s and a Forceum 205/50s that are extra load rated.

one setback is that the 205/50s are pretty hard to come by already and the search is even more difficult bec you have to make sure it is above the 88V stock load rating to make it road legal here in Oz. there are a others out there like the Yokohama A-drive 01, Hankook H424 and Kumho ECSTA KU23 which fit the specs.

my observations for this combo i didn't notice any significant drop in mileage maybe less than 1 mpg? in my last tank with a shared drive with my wife (who doesn't really embrace hypermiling that much), we were able to still get between 4.2 and 4.3 l/100k tanks (54.7mpg). i'm also able to do 50km home-office-home commutes by myself with a fair amount of hills at 3.7-3.8 l/100km (61.9mpg) (i don't know.... maybe i've improved my driving technique since? even then, i'm pretty satisfied with my current setup even if the tires are wider and not classified as LRR tires. i'm also on H&R lowering springs (1.4" front, .7" rear), 42/40 psi cold, strutbar, chassis stiffening plate (rear sway bar to follow soon).

btw, i was also planning on installing spacers at the front (5mm) and especially at the rear (15mm) but changed my mind as it will be also illegal in Oz. It will also be a safety issue if not done properly and will cause stress and wear on the suspension.

19. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    agreed, in your case expensive but agreed !
    I was thinking on Enkei RP F1 in 16x7, I can import them new for around $230 ea and theyre acceptably light. Just occasionally though I see sets of lightweight Ray's and the like for $1,500

I live on the fringe of the bush really, so we have to get most stuff ordered in. Sometimes it feels so remote the postie will start airdropping mail in from the back of a Herc. But I wondered which way I would go if faced between the conundrum of LRR tyres and those that just bite better in the wet and carry corner speeds better so Im accelerating out a bit less. Im operating on the theory that LRR might count for less than wheel weight, which is the reverse of where I started.

You see that MPG isnt bad at all, Im hovering 4.1-4.2/100 on my Michelin X's, but while I glide a bit etc, I drive pretty fast from time to time. I got in the wake of a fast SS Commodore going up Mt Crawford a few days back and went up the mountain at over 130kmph, the guy in the SS looked a little surprised to say the least.

I've no doubt your light wheel weight contributes to your MPG performance. Poorer choices would see some ground lost there, to me thats avoidable.

I was thinking of coilovers as they would be adjustable, but all I could find in au was KSport who Im told suck, so that part of it is on hold, or I go to springs like you and F8L have done.

there are some quality setups around, theyre used on 4x4's and the Subaru rally crews use them. They fit a bit differently in that they screw onto the hub and carry a new set of studs for the wheels. You can even convert from 5x100 to 5x114, check this out

KICS PCD Changer - Pro Speed Racing

but I have to admit 'illegal' might be tricky, not only the law but the insurers, in which case I would look at the wheel offsets again

20. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if you can import those Enkeis for $230 ea, then go for it... that's a pretty good deal for a light wheel! they look good too! :)

those KICS spacers look like real quality spacers compared to the others i've seen. it's really worth a look if you're not too concerned with legislation.. ;)