1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is 400 just the number after 399, or are we doomed, so we can stop arguing

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by austingreen, Nov 20, 2015.

1. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What Passing a Key CO2 Mark Means to Climate Scientists | Climate Central

#1 austingreen, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, everybody dies. The critical questions are when, and how. In terms of planetary health, we've already ignored the "first, do no harm" axiom for so long that the impacts from previous activities will last well into the future. The sixth extinction is well underway, for many reasons including climate change, and it seems we're poisoning everything as fast as possible.

Do we give up, or try harder?

austingreen likes this.
  3. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just wait until the big news at the end of the year when they tally up world temperatures for 2015...

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Year-to-date, 2015 is blowing away the previous record high years. See graph here: Global Analysis - October 2015 | 2015 year-to-date temperatures versus previous years | National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Curious step function between Dec 2014 and Jan 2015.

Bob Wilson

MJFrog likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The way the function is defined, there is no wrap-around continuity from December to January:

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What does Judith Curry say now? Has she conceded?
    Of course there has been a decade or so pause in temp rises vs. model, so finally there is some movement to match the model. But it is an El Nino year so that means something, I forget if that impacts the data in general. Believe here in the Northeast we are not expecting the extreme cold winters like we had last 2 years. I noticed we seemed to have killed off the stink bugs finally.

8. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    "Doomed" may be excessive, but as agriculturally viable land is predicted to greatly shrink and human-habitable zone may be reduced to the circum-polar areas, the human numbers will be greatly reduced from current levels. But on the upside, cryogenics may allow us to preserve enough genetic diversity to avoid extinction even if the total human population drops to a few hundred thousand. Similarly, direct genetic modification may help some plants and animals survive with us, even though the dangers of such manipulation are very real, IMO.

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Wjtracy, it is no large task to read Curry's website to see how things are viewed there. I shall not attempt to summarize.

Robert Holt, you are decades ahead in terms of how Ag land productivity might go. Long before human genetic diversity gets thinned, I'd expect the Svalbaard plant-seed vault to be used also in this way. But that seems far in the future.

400 ppm CO2 in general - for me, just a step along the way. I have no hope to limit it below 500. Whether we choose to 'hold the line' there or higher, depends on how 'tippy' ice and methane show themselves to be.

I expect short-term climate responses to be as (or not much larger than) in recent decades. The 100-to-1000 year responses might fully reach current pessimism.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There isn't any need to go looking for a Curry or any of the other climate deniers. We have their ambassador @mojo.

Bob Wilson

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I could not immediately see where Curry addressed the headlines about 2015 temps being higher.

This gets political real fast, but going over 400 ppm exceeds the limits some say the Earth can handle. But the analogy is like being Captain of a big ocean going vessel, we cannot stop it on a dime. In fact we have not even given the global command to stop all use of fossil fuels. There is some work to slow down the ship.

I see one of two outcomes happening: as CO2 goes up (a) we will address by adaption if possible, but (b) if rapid catastrophic changes start happening, huge rapid sea level change etc. then that could trigger more evasive global action. I am expecting Option (a).

#11 wjtracy, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you can read it here.
    Has NOAA ‘busted’ the pause in global warming? | Climate Etc.

Which is a big meh? The headlines are a big so what. Margin for error is 0.09 degrees C. A single hot year or single cold year doesn't scientifically make a difference. We may know in 5 years whether there was a pause and whether it ended last year, but to me there wasn't really a pause simply bad models. This year is not really any more of less meaningful of a trend than any other year.

ESRL Global Monitoring Division - Global Greenhouse Gas Reference Network
    [​IMG]
    While global tamperature rise has slowed global CO2 production has not. The US has lowered their fossil burn, but Asia has increased it. I have hope that Asia's burn will peak, but we should not fool ourselves that progress in the US this last decade, means progress in the world.
    I hope you are right.
    +1
    War not climate change has been the use of the seed bank. Agricultural practices have to change to be sustainable in the face of growing population and climate change.
    +1
    My thoughts are similar. I think the threat of doom from crossing lines has been counter productive to reducing fossil burn. Now that we passed 400 ppm, I hope that changes. Lots of enviromental groups put a lot of effort into demonizing a pipeline. Now the pipeline has been killed, and the oil sands are destined to more on trucks and trains, and maybe ship to china. It didn't slow the fossil burn, it just wasted effort. I had 3 environ groups ask for money celebrating, this victory. Yea! we won! we are going to do more damage, but they beat those evil repuplicans.
    +1

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "While global tamperature rise has slowed global CO2 production has not"

It is possible to be irritatingly precise in such wordings. Hope you won't mind.
    Global heat storage has increased steadily with atmospheric infrared absorption (largely driven by CO2 concentration increases). Most of that occurs in the ocean. New heat storage in the atmosphere (evidenced by temperature increase) varies among years, with ocean dynamics being the most likely explanation. Global climate models remain unable to dynamically partition this heat through time.

The Svalbaard plant-seed vault is a fascinating thing, not much at all related to war, but perhaps should be taken up separately.

14. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll leave the explanations to others, but that is one of the possible.
    +1
    Global seed bank opens ‘doomsday vault’ to deliver Syrian varieties to safety

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The November edition of the above graphic is not yet out, but a local newspaper story points to continued temperature rise:
    Seattle P-I (links to Washington Post): World’s warmest-ever November; Arctic warming twice as fast as rest of planet

16. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    If I plug and chug the numbers Sensitivity x log base 2 of today/preindustrial I get 1.54 degrees C = 3 x log2(400ppm/280ppm). If I figure a 15 year delay 2000's 369 ppm I get 1.19 degrees C. This year is less than 1 degree C above pre industrial levels, so I ask, have we blown away the model, or maybe the model needs to be updated.

Single hot or cold years are unlikely to be caused by ghg as its forcing function doesn't act that way. This year looks like a hot year. Is the pause over? was there really a pause? Don't read too much into partial years.

We do have the moving average which is increasing, that is evidence of ghg warming. It just is not moving as fast as the models predict.

17. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  18. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry Mojo, but I can't take seriously a post from a publication called Real Science that calls regular scientific reporting fraud.

You can as I have done remind people individual years are weather not climate, but the artic has warmed significantly since industrialization, this year is the hottest year there, and artic warming faster than the equator is part of ghg theory. Calling that fraud just makes the blog seem like it cares not at all about science.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm quite glad to see that:
    (1) you are still alive, and
    (2) can now reply to me without the desperation of 'STFU'.

But after your semi-prediction 'This year may end up above average for arctic ice' (Arctic Sea ice 2015 | Page 4 | PriusChat) failed very spectacularly, and not yet seeing any hint of that 'Extreme cold' (Extreme cold on the way, says former NOAA meteorologist | PriusChat), it is difficult to take your statements seriously.

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    #20 fuzzy1, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015