1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is a 2 1/2 ton hydraulic jack ok?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cheeper, Jun 23, 2008.

1. cheeper

cheeper Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Right now I'm just trying to get my mud flaps on the back.

I can't use the jack that came with the car on my driveway. The footprint just isn't big enough, shale drive not solid enough.

Someone here on a post suggested a 3 ton hydraulic jack, said they were about $20.

Local Walmart has a 2 1/2 ton with case and led light for $49.88 and a 3 ton for $84.88. Clerk said the 2 1/2 was good enough; I wanted to hear what you have to say.

There was another 2 1/2 for about $20 less, but clerk said the other one would go lower.

This will be for tire changing, rotation later.

2. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i dont recommend jacking car on any unsafe ground, however the problem you might find is the jack doesnt go up hi enough

3. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    On Lefat1 notes, the same jack might not go low enough. I'd measure the lowest distance you need.

I have a 2 1/2 ton wheeled floor jack, the more expensive kind. It isn't long enough to pump the handle once under the car, and the base of it is too high. So I invested in a pair of Gorilla tough plastic ramps, found at Autozone. Once the car is on the ramps, I can now use the jack to take it up further.
    Not exactly the more portable solution.

ZC1