1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is a bluetooth phonebook transfer from laptop possible?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Ghoti, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Ghoti

Ghoti Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Greetings;

Due to the unexpected death of my old, non-bluetooth-equipped cellular phone, I've found myself in possession of the Motorola 815E, which is basically an upgrade from the v710 which I'm sure has been discussed quite a bit.

I'm really liking the ability to turn my car into a $27,000 headset for my phone, but I was disappointed to find that you can't manually enter phonebook entries into the Prius. I've been kludging my way around it a little by taking calls from the incoming and outgoing log and applying them to one-touch-dial buttons, but that's a bit cumbersome, and the numbers blank off of the buttons whilst the car is in motion.

All that preamble leads me to my question: I have a laptop computer (and an iPaq PDA, for that matter) which has Bluetooth connectivity capability. Is there a way to transfer contacts from, say, the Windows Address Book to the Prius via Bluetooth? Or is there any other software available that might be up to the task?

2. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  3. Ghoti

Ghoti Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Excellent! I've printed those directions and shall give them a whirl once I get out of work.

I can't beliueve that thread didn't come up when I dod some searches here looking for, well, that exact thread. Thanks!

4. Ghoti

Ghoti Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghoti\";p=\"110610)</div>
    Mixed results, but as some of the comments in that thread indicate, it may be becuase I have the Kenningston USB bluetooth adapter for my laptop; I have yet to try it with my iPaq.

I was able to get the transfers going, but only one contact at a time. The Prius automagically reconnected with the phone within 10 seconds of the transfers though, so I didn't have to spend time rebooting the car or repairing the car with the phone as some people in the above-referenced thread had to.

I'll post again with the results from my iPaq once I get a chance, and, if it would be appreciated, whip up a step-by-step with pictures for the Knowledge Base here.

5. Susan5s

Susan5s Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I recently bought the Motorola E815 and the biggest gripe I have right now, besides the phonebook, is that the voice dial function of the phone itself seems to be disabled whenever the phone is linked to the Bluetooth in the car. If anyone has a way to get voice dial to work while connected to Hands Free in the Prius, let me know. If I break the BT link by turning the phone off and then on again, the voice dial works, but it doesn't re-link with the car until I can stop and get the car to find the phone again. Naturally, the buttons to do this on the MFD are blanked out while you're in motion. So the hands-free features of even the phone are disabled, making the whole point of having Bluetooth completely moot. Since I have yet to memorize the blanked-out 1-touch dial list, and since I can't figure out how to enter or edit the one touch dials other than the automatic listing of recently dialed calls, the whole thing is a bust.

I never wanted a camera/video/download-silly-stuff phone, but now that I have it, it's a fun novelty for now. But I really just want to use my phone in the car safely and ALL those features are disabled!! :roll:

Hey, Ghoti, great moniker. I'm thinking tuna steaks tonight . . . ;-)

Susan
    04 Silver BC
    25,500 miles
    48.2 mpg this tank

6. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just a word of warning. A handsfree unit makes the act of dialing easier and keeps your hands free for steering. However, the actual thinking required to converse someone is what makes talking to someone while driving distracting and more dangerous. I'm still occasionally guilty talking to someone in the car or on the phone, but I'm just trying to impress that a handsfree may be slightly safer, but nowhere near as safe as not having the conversation.

7. Susan5s

Susan5s Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    . . . but certainly much safer than having to manually dial the stupid numbers. Of course, you're right, ryogajyc, but unless human nature changes or it becomes a felony punishable by hanging, people are still going to talk on phones in the car. And to other passengers in the car. (There's another thread here that addresses a study about the relative dangers of conversations on the phone and with passengers.) It would be nice if the industries would actually work together and make what slight margins of safety exist actually available instead of disabling them.

Susan

8. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yeah, I followed that thread and wrote a few posts. I don't think in this case they intentionally meant to disable it. More likely is that the Bluetooth Handset Profile (or the version that the Prius supports) doesn't have provisions to allow communication with the phone when not making a call, making it impossible for the Prius handsfree to utilize the voice dial of your phone. Asking companies to work together is usually hard. I'm actually impressed that the Bluetooth stuff works at all. But I'm a cynical engineer. :p

It would be nice if the Prius itself had voice-dialing. I would have thought that the you would be able to at least use voice recognition for the 1-touch dial numbers, but there seem to be no voice commands for the phone in any command list that I've seen. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If I remember to try voice recognition for the one-touch dial, I'll post my results.

9. BobFoster

BobFoster Junior Member

Absolutely! !

I just received (Thursday) my E815 and am a new Verizon customer (because of the coverage). Friday, I switched on the Bluetooth on the phone and had no trouble pairing the phone to the car.

Saturday, I successfully transferred phonebook entries several (at least 5) times, each time updating the phonebook, which I then transferred selected entries to the 17 available entries in the 1-Touch directory which is available during car motion (Not recommended for safety, but a fellow passenger could access it safely.)

It was actually simple.

For those like me who would have liked detailed instructions, I have posted them on my Prius website (www.moxproject.info/prius). Select Prius Info and then select the file “Uploading Phonebook from laptop to Prius.docâ€.

I know how frustrating this situation can be. So feel free to send me a private message with your email address and I will try to help.

Bob

10. davideK

davideK New Member

11. davideK

davideK New Member

How many phone entries can be made into a phonebook?

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The 05 has two phone books. Each can hold 500 entries.

13. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True, but there are also plenty of people that shouldn't even be allowed to think or breath when they drive, as that is more than they can handle. Many people don't have this problem or a problem of being distracted while talking on the phone.

Actually, I heard that there is no correlation between hands free use and holding the phone. The only real difference is how you dial. But the irony is that I could get a ticket in certain states for talking on the phone without hands free. Yet, handsfree could simply be that I had a headset, yet I still dial the same way. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

14. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    500?? I can't imagine sitting in my car sending 500 entries one at a time, which is the only way I've been able to get it to work. Am I correct in thinking that this is the ONLY way to do it? One at a time?

15. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Depends on the phone. Some can send only one contact at a time. Other models (i.e., SE T68i) send the complete contact list all at once.

16. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That would be nice. I guess I've got to play with my laptop some more - that's how I've been doing it.

17. davideK

davideK New Member

[snapback]111903[/snapback]​
    [/b][/quote]

18. wnrussell

wnrussell New Member

This won't work with a Belkin BT adapter. The procedure definitely needs the WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software stack found on the DLink adapter.

19. Ghoti

Ghoti Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have had no problems using the Kingston USB stub I got for my laptop after I started this thread way back when :) It was about $15 from a local Best Buy, Circuit City, or somesuch.

20. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Anyone done it on a Mac? I may have to buy a Bluetooth dongle and try it.