1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Is a replacement 12V battery necessary?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by magneto99, Dec 12, 2006.

1. magneto99

magneto99 New Member

I own a 2003 Prius. I just came back from my 30K tune up and they told me that my 12V auxillary battery needed replacing because it couldn't hold a charge very well. They have a new battery on the market that has a higher capacity.

Do I really need this battery to be replaced? Everything in my car is stock and I don't blast my car stereo. I haven't noticed any problems at all. What is this battery responsible for? The tech told me that my car needed to be jumpstarted at the shop, but I haven't needed any jumpstarting in over a year. Is this the battery responsible for ignition? I always thought that was the main battery's job. What should I do?

This is what was written on the tech's diagnostic:

"Battery died while in service, failed load test and is not holding a charge"

2. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(magneto99 @ Dec 11 2006, 09:32 PM) [snapback]360795[/snapback]</div>
    Three years on a 12 V battery that's as expensive as that on the Prius doesn't seem very good.
    It might be worth buying a "portable battery". I'm not sure what they're really called, but you can charge it on your home 120V AC and carry it in the car with you for emergencies.

I wonder what kind of a load they put on it to test it. Have you been able to start it easily since then?

From what I've read on PC, the battery doesn't have to provide much power. Mainly it just powers the electronics (the computer, etc.).

Just my 2 cents. I'll be interested in what others have to say.

Dave M.

3. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Batteries do degrade over time. You can get a second opinion at other shops or at AutoZone. AutoZone can test your battery for free. I saw that they have batteries for the 2005 model, they might have something for the 03?

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'd get a second opinion. Batteries do degrade over time, and you may indeed need a replacement. However, if you aren't noticing any problems with it, and haven't needed to jump it before then or since then, i would be highly skeptical of what the dealership is telling you.

The battery is used to boot the computers and close the relays to the HV battery, which then provides power to the rest of the car. The HV battery recharges the 12V battery, and supplies power to the 12V system when the car is running (the same way an alternator in a regular car works). Without a 12V battery (or a dead one), the car wouldn't be able to start, as it wouldn't be capable of connecting to the HV battery or starting up the computers.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think getting a second opinion is a good idea. When you are having your car serviced they tend to leave interior lights and other things on. This hasn't much effect on a normal car battery but the small Prius battery can be used up in a hurry. Toyota charges about 5 times as much for Prius batteries as they are worth anyway, so if you can find one elsewhere that's good.

6. boaringone

boaringone New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I was just curious. Has anyone actually purchased a 12v non-dealer replacement battery for their 3rd Generation Prius? I have a 2008 that may need replacement and wondered if anyone got a non toyotal battery (of higher capacity) and actually had it installed by themselves. thanks. Wanted to know if it was do-able or better off paying $250 to dealer. Didn't see any on Youtube.
    Thanks

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Optima yellow-top battery enjoys popularity among some PC members.

If you can install the 12V battery yourself, another possibility is for you to purchase the correct battery from your local Toyota dealer's parts dept, which is the option that I chose. MSRP is $139, but some dealers are not ashamed to charge more.

8. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius